12:53 Ken Bigley Is Dead

Discussion Forums Forums TV Newsroom 12:53 Ken Bigley Is Dead

This topic contains 12 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by  DDP 12 years, 8 months ago.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author

kev667
    Participant
    #19318 Reply

kev667
    Participant

It seems to have been breaking on Abu Dhabi TV for a little while but Sky seemed to wait on it until the family had been told and a Brit Govt source said something about it. The reporter was available outside the house immediately.

Sky were first with the news, for the record. Martin and Julie broke in during a package with the news. ..BBC are saying ‘unconfirmed report of..’

Very sad. Thinking of the family.
    kev.

#19319 Reply

kev667
    Participant

David Chater was reporting today on an Afghani being tried effectively for war crimes in London, he’s now outside the Foreign Office reporting on this story.

Nice to hear his calming voice and informed opinion. ..this for a different post, but any reason why he isn’t in Afghanistan for elections? (Simpson+Ananpour are)

#19320 Reply

Johnnie
    Keymaster

Yes it’s very sad news.. thoughts are with the family.

Sky have many correspondents reporting on the story. David Chater is outside the Foreign office, Dominic Waghorn in Bangkok, Paul Harrison outside the Bigley home in Liverpool, Graham Leach in Downing ST and Tim Marshall in Washington

Sky are now reporting “Government checking claims”

#19321 Reply

Johnnie
    Keymaster

Reports: A Ken Bigley video will be played on Abu Dhabi at 1500hrs

#19322 Reply

Butterfinger
    Participant

this is very sad news.

#19323 Reply

eagleeye
    Participant

I feel totally ill although I did expect it to end like this with those bastards holding him. 23 days of torture for him and his family. I have to try to hang on to my own humanity as my first reaction is just to bomb the hell out of those bastards…hard not to sink to their level tho’ isn’t it? Medieval barbarism. Pre-medieval.

Do you think it would help if the likes of Al Jazeera et al did not show the videos? Is there any way too that they could be kept off the internet? The news would have to report someone has been kidnapped but oh how the bastards love the publicity and public display and humiliation of their hostages – eg poor Bigley in his “Guantanamo Bay” orange jumpsuit in chains, pleading for his life. You can just see the bastards watching that with enjoyment….I know I’m in dreamland, but I wish somehow their graphic publicity could be stopped. It’s not “news”, it’s a particularly repulsive type of deliberate voyeurism.
    I wonder if there would be fewer hostages taken if there were no images I mean???

[As for Afghanistan, which Kev mentioned, couldn’t either Richard Bestic or Laurence Lee (is he still in Russia?) have covered the elections as Sky’s “nearest” for corresps?]

#19324 Reply

Tanya
    Participant

I did felt a moment of hope for Ken Bigley, when he was apparently been given to another group. I thought the situation will then follow footsteps of two Italian aid-workers or that “negotiations” would continue longer.
    How sick game did his fanatic captor Al-Zargawi played!

My condolences to his family
    _______
    Tanya

#19325 Reply

DDP
    Participant

I’d be very surprised if he was alive for 3 days let alone 3 weeks. And without a body for proof, no autopsy can be carried out. Very convenient that they claim they killed him as a result of coalition pressure on their situation, yet can’t and didn’t prove he was alive at any specific time. <_<

#19326 Reply

eagleeye
    Participant

I read on the web that they found his body outside Baghdad yesterday.

#19327 Reply

DDP
    Participant

Finds of headless bodies aren’t uncommon around parts of Baghdad though. Two westerners were found last week. One male, with the head tied to the body and one woman with a gunshot wound to the head. Didn’t see anything on TV related to it however. And there is never any coverage of Iraqis who suffer the same sick fate <_<

#19328 Reply

eagleeye
    Participant

True, we never hear about the Iraqi victims. T’was always thus… It’s also because they don’t use Iraqi reporters. I wish they would. The “western” broadcast reporters are all holed up in max security hotels and are unable to report what’s happening. I don’t know why they are there to be honest. We could perhaps get far more interesting reports back from Iraqi journalists (there must be quite a lot who speak English) or other Arabic speaking journos – bilingual! – who are able to move about more freely; well a bit more freely.

Is there anything on Sky or other Britnews channels about the two French journalists held hostage for many weeks now? Various attempts to free them having all ended in failure so far, including one bizarre one by extreme right wing ex mates of Saddam’s in the French parliament ….much angst as France very anti war, yet the 2 men continue to be held by ?? who?.

#19329 Reply

DDP
    Participant

At least if they had more Iraqis report, it would probably give a more realistic view. Baghdad is NOT Iraq.
    The vast majority of the country is largely free of problems. Big chunks of the country have never had any problems but the media don’t bother reporting on anything unless it has smoke coming from it. Those that have had problems outside of the Sunni Triangle, sometimes have flare ups as a result of groups moving around. Partly because (1) it’s not safe for them to stay in one place too long (2) lack of local support, and (3) because their numbers are too small to actually stay and fight for control of a region.

Western journos are largely worried for their safety outside of the Green Zone in, so most simply wait around in the hotel bar, for video to be filed by freelance Iraqis so they can then ‘interpret’ what has happened.

Operations in Fallujah back in April are a pretty good example. Any Iraqi that was shown dead was a ‘civilian’ according to the media.
    So if a guy is carrying an RPG around he’s an insurgent. But five minutes later when the media films the same guy’s body after he’s been put down by a Marine sniper a mile away and another joe Jihadi has picked up the RPG, the same dead guy is now a civillian. Sorry, but that’s complete BS.

And then the media rattles on about the fact you have mounting ‘civillian’ casualties. Which is odd when you consider the fact that the majority of the fighting was in commercial territory and not residential areas.

The vast majority of casualties (at least that I saw) that cycled through the hospitals in Fallujah, were not women and children but men aged under 50. But of course they were innocent because they were unarmed :rolleyes:

Marine Corps operations in Fallujah, were either largely static holding operations on the outskirts of the city, or short patrols to stabilise security in areas from which they were taking fire from hostiles. There were no huge incursions, the sheer numbers were not available to mount any operation for total control. Joe Jihadi did however actively engage Marines every night and day, and then sought the safety of any home that they could use as a ‘friendly’ shield. Which would then run the risk of incurring casualties to frindlies. Largely this was not the case, as there other effective methods other than dropping a 500lb on a house.

But it was the coalition that again was made out to be the bad guy because journalists in Baghdad, have an ill formed perception of events rather than the experience, and ultimately it’s the network’ broadcast that shapes the opinion of the public. <_<

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
Reply To: 12:53 Ken Bigley Is Dead
Your information:

Add New Topic Login Register