Al Jazeera English – General Discussions

Discussion Forums Forums TV Newsroom Al Jazeera English – General Discussions

This topic contains 24 replies, has 9 voices, and was last updated by  irxin 10 years, 8 months ago.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Author

Johnnie
    Keymaster
    #32664 Reply

Johnnie
    Keymaster

Al Jazeera International shall be launching within the next month..

Here’s the trailer

[youtube]MPaweBZR1J4[/youtube]

#32665 Reply

jonn0boy
    Participant

I am actually starting to look forward to the launch of this station. Hope it isn’t a let down. Has it been assigned a number on the Sky Digital EPG yet?

#32666 Reply

bbc World Fan
    Participant

Cool Video.
    I can’t wait to see the channel.
    I’m wondering what Channel it will be on?

#32667 Reply

guvnorgaz
    Participant

I wonder how the UK presenters will feel about giving the news in a point of view thats making the UK/US look bad in the war on terror

#32668 Reply

bbc World Fan
    Participant

I have a question regarding the channel.
    Why is Al Jazeera starting Novemeber 15th, instead of this coming Monday?
    What’s taking them so long?

#32669 Reply

Johnnie
    Keymaster

[youtube]EIVikteiQj8&NR[/youtube]

This is a really good promo. The channel looks quite impressive.

#32670 Reply

jonn0boy
    Participant

I must agree. Is it definitely launching on the 15th of this month?

#32671 Reply

OperaGhost
    Participant

From timesonline

And finally . . . here is the late news in English from al-Jazeera

By Dan Sabbagh, Media Editor

AL-JAZEERA, the broadcaster once denounced as propaganda by Donald Rumsfeld, will launch its long-awaited English-language channel on Wednesday in the hope of tipping the balance of the international news agenda.

Based in Qatar and funded by the country?s Emir, al-Jazeera International has poached journalists such as Sir David Frost, Rageh Omar and the BBC newsreader Darren Jordon. Its goal is to become a respected and impartial provider of news, watched in well over 5 million homes, and to act as an alternative to the American and European media. It will employ 250 journalists of 47 nationalities.

Nigel Parsons, the managing director, promised a slightly different news agenda. ?When our rivals covered the verdict of the Saddam trial, they went back to London and Washington for the reaction of Middle East experts; our experts are Arabs in the Middle East.?

Jordon, who will be a news anchor based in Doha, said that it was exciting to work with people from a range of cultures, which could be interpreted as a veiled criticism of the BBC, once described as ?hideously white? by Greg Dyke, its former Director-General.

The channel was expected to be on the air a year ago, but has been dogged by repeated delays. It will be one of the few channels to be broadcast in high definition and will run a round-the-clock service from four principal bureaux, in Kuala Lumpur, Doha, London and Washington.

It will also have to overcome the reputation of its ten-year-old Arabic sister network, best known for broadcasting tapes from al-Qaeda and Osama bin Laden and which has had bureaux in Kabul and Baghdad targeted in military action since September 11.

Mr Parsons, a Briton, like many al-Jazeera International employees, has helped to put together a style guide which is intended to emphasise a studied neutrality. Like the BBC, the station intends to be sparing in its use of the word terrorism. The channel also promises to be circumspect about transmitting any tapes purporting to be from bin Laden and about use of the term ?suicide bomber?. In Arabic, the word shaheed is used, which in English carries connotations of martyrdom.

Although the Emir owns the al-Jazeera network, which will include sports channels and a documentary channel next year, there is no evidence of overt political interference. The Arabic and English operations will share bureaux, video and staff, creating an opportunity for cultural crossover between the two stations? values.

The channel idea has quickly won acceptance in Europe, where it will be available in more than 40 million homes, and it is thought that Tony Blair will be one of Sir David?s first guests on the al-Jazeera sofa.

Despite attempts to cultivate the White House, Congress and US broadcasters, however, it is struggling to get mass distribution in the United States.

FAMILIAR FACES

SIR DAVID FROST
    Presenter, Frost Over The World, weekly interview programme. Veteran interviewer whose style has softened in the past decade

RAGEH OMAR
    Presenter, Witness, a daily documentary. Somali-born, British-educated journalist, who made his name as the BBC?s reporter in Baghdad during the Iraq War

DARREN JORDON
    News anchor, based in Doha. One of the BBC?s most prominent black journalists. Spent eight years in Jamaican Army. Educated at Sandhurst.

#32672 Reply

irxin
    Participant

EPG 514 opening midday GMT Wednesday.

Good luck, although it is a shame they have recruited Beeboids rather than unbiased real people

#32673 Reply

Johnnie
    Keymaster

30 Minutes left…

#32674 Reply

Johnnie
    Keymaster
    #32675 Reply

Johnnie
    Keymaster

John Cookson and David Chater also apart of AJE..

Chater did a report on Israel/Palestine.

#32676 Reply

jonn0boy
    Participant

I see Darren Jordan did decide to move in the end.

#32677 Reply

Johnnie
    Keymaster

Just in case anyone’s interested:

Al Jazeera English, says its reporters use 41 MacBook Pro notebooks along with Apple’s Final Cut Studio video production software to edit stories.

#32678 Reply

jonn0boy
    Participant

Has anybody found a full list of correspondents and reporters for AJE online?

#32679 Reply

eagleeye
    Participant

There’s a link on their website, but it’s not updated.

If I write and tell them how good I think they are, do you think the Emir could spare me a macbook pro?

#32680 Reply

Lone
    Participant

jonn0boy wrote:Has anybody found a full list of correspondents and reporters for AJE online?

Think wikipedia is probably the best source at the moment:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Al_Jazeera_English

No pictures though.

#32681 Reply

eagleeye
    Participant

That’s the same as the website and isn’t updated. No Chater either.

Despite the Apple flavour, see one of the ways to access AJE in the USA is Windoze only!

Is the channel available in France on Astra or any of the french cable channels like Canalsat, Canal+ or TPS? My friend wants to watch it and not online.

#32682 Reply

bbc World Fan
    Participant

What’s Aljazeera like? It wasn’t picked up by us and Canadian cable/ satellite company’s over here. I tried to watch their free feed on the internet but it didn’t work. Do you have to be in a certain country in order to see it?

#32683 Reply

Lone
    Participant

bbc World Fan wrote:What’s Aljazeera like? It wasn’t picked up by us and Canadian cable/ satellite company’s over here. I tried to watch their free feed on the internet but it didn’t work. Do you have to be in a certain country in order to see it?

I’m not sure about availability in Canada, all I know is that it definitely isn’t available in the US.

As for how it is, IMO it is very good. Professional, slick, good studio, graphics, and probably the best collection of presenters/reporters of any of the major news providers. Plus there are no real obvious signs of bias, very impartial as far as I’m concerned.

#32684 Reply

bbc World Fan
    Participant

I have never seen Al Jazeera International because it hasn’t come to Canada, but if I wanted to watch it then I’d have to pay to watch it on line. I don’t watch anything on line if I need to pay to watch it. I don’t trust the internet to do that.

#32685 Reply

Johnnie
    Keymaster

The bureau of satellite television Al-Jazeera in the capital Mogadishu was indefinitely shuttered on Thursday following an order from intelligence officials of Somalia?s Ethiopian-backed transitional government, according to news reports.

The bureau of the Qatar-based broadcaster was ?effectively closed? today after the station received a letter from the transitional government?s National Security Agency (NSA) ordering the termination of its operations, correspondent Mohammed Adow told CPJ. The letter did not disclose the reason for the move, Mogadishu bureau head of operations Abshir Mohamed told the Associated Press (AP). But AP quoted Somali Information Minister Madobe Nunow Mohamed as saying that he had not seen the letter. ?But I will tell you that Al-Jazeera has conveyed the wrong messages to the world. We will shut down additional radio stations and channels if they distort facts,? he said. Adow denied the allegations.

The move came as former Somali transitional parliament speaker Sharif Hassan Sheikh Adan announced in a phone interview from Qatar that he had been invited by Al-Jazeera to participate in a television debate with the chairman of the ousted Islamists group, according to leading independent HornAfrik Radio. Adan was sacked in January after he opposed the Ethiopian military intervention and called for peace talks with Islamists, according to international news reports.

http://www.cpj.org/news/2007/africa/som … r07na.html

#32686 Reply

This is Drew
    Participant

Why isn’t the channel availible on Virgin Media? Also is it just availible on Sky..?

#32687 Reply

irxin
    Participant

This is Drew wrote:Why isn’t the channel availible on Virgin Media? Also is it just availible on Sky..?

Now you can’t even get Sky news on virgin I recommend a rapid change to a sky dish – Sky news and Al Jez. are available on the Free sky service which you only pay for the box/dish, this installation being cheaper than most rip off merchants charge for an aerial upgrade for "freeview".

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
Reply To: Al Jazeera English – General Discussions
Your information:

Add New Topic Login Register