All those studying Broadcast Journalism at Uni say HEY!

Forums Forums TV Newsroom All those studying Broadcast Journalism at Uni say HEY!

This topic contains 40 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by  Steven 13 years, 1 month ago.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 41 total)
  • Author

NEWSBOY2
    Participant
    #17375 Reply

NEWSBOY2
    Participant

U heard me!

#17376 Reply

Forum Member
    Participant

Do they teach you to slaughter the english language, like you’re doing, or what?

#17377 Reply

NEWSBOY2
    Participant

The English language has been slaughtered by everyone. Journalists are some of the worst culprits. You are slaughtering it yourself by adding ?or what?? to the end of your sentence. It is completely unnecessary and sounds like a thuggish yob being emotive.

?Do they teach you to slaughter the english language, like you’re doing, or what??

If you are telling me that I am doing something, then why contradict the statement by asking if I am actually doing it?

I like most people do not always bother to write in complete perfection when replying on Internet forums. Blame the rise in text communication and of instant messaging.

As we are on the subject, Journalism is littered with hundreds of examples of good English being ?slaughtered? with overused clich?s and sloppy puns. When I was younger I always thought ?The Sun? was written by people on council estates.

True story.

#17378 Reply

NEWSBOY2
    Participant

Here is a great example of traditional English being slaughtered, from the Sky News website.

“The Sk8er Boi singer said she did not care for Hilary Duff either”

#17379 Reply

NEWSBOY2
    Participant

If you were not familar with text communication, then you might have trouble recognising the word.

#17380 Reply

Forum Member
    Participant

I like most people do not always bother to write in complete perfection when replying on Internet forums. Blame the rise in text communication and of instant messaging.

It doesn’t take much effort to write “You” instead of “U”. You’re not using a mobile phone! I’m sorry if “,or what?” offended you, but english isn’t my first language. I just think it’s sad that I’m one of the only people here who bother writing proper english. “U heard me!” is a disgrace, especially knowing you’re studying broadcast journalism and that you’re clearly able to express your views in a much more mature and educated language.

#17381 Reply

Newsroom
    Participant

o cop on….wat ya tlkin abt?

txt language is kewl 4 4rums and txts

#17382 Reply

NEWSBOY2
    Participant

I find calling it a “disgrace” a bit irrational. The way something is written, especially on an Internet forum often symbolises how someone is feeling. I wrote you with a “u” because I was feeling flippant and conversational. Its just slang. I could have been really formal and polite and say something like, ” Good evening, I am enquiring to see if anyone else is currently studying a degree in Broadcast Journalism”, but why would I? , this is a casual place.

I am 18 and still feel that I am young enough to type casually when online. These forums are suppose to be chilled out, contempory places for irreverent statements , not areas for language analysis. In short, get a life!

#17383 Reply

Newsroom
    Participant

im 18 too and totally agree with newsboys sentiments

#17384 Reply

Forum Member
    Participant

I guess we’ll have to agree to disagree. I can accept the “U R here 4 a lot of fun” language in chat rooms, but then again, you’d never find me in one.

#17385 Reply

Newsroom
    Participant

no we will agree that kristian is wrong and needs to get a life

#17386 Reply

Forum Member
    Participant

Don’t be an idiot. Go act immaturely somewhere else. Moron.

Perhaps my appreciation for proper language on discussion forums comes from the fact that I’m an administrator on another discussion forum. Newsroom’s kind would get the boot very quickly, if I had a say, and you, Newsboy2, would be asked to spell properly.

Oh well….

#17387 Reply

Forum Member
    Participant

In short, get a life!

Well i’m 19, and it’s clearly not Kristian who needs to get a life, it’s the 18 year old who spends his time on a forum devoted to Sky News and then manages to ask the most banal, pointless questions on the board, eg about who empties the bin under the desk.

At least every time i wonder if i’m being sad for having a night in (and not watching sky news)instead of going out, i can think of you and realise i’m not.

#17388 Reply

NEWSBOY2
    Participant

Oh how great for you! You?re an ADMINISTRATOR, bet that makes you feel like a big man! You honestly think anyone cares? You may as well be speaking Danish for all the clarity and sense you?re making. Why don?t you peddle off to your forum?

#17389 Reply

Forum Member
    Participant

Hi NEWSBOY2

Grow up, shut up and get a life.

#17390 Reply

Johnnie
    Keymaster

You can continue to discuss this in the general discussions forum.

#17391 Reply

NEWSBOY2
    Participant

Hey, its all part of my study, whats your excuse for being a member?

#17392 Reply

Forum Member
    Participant

to tell you to get a life, mainly.

go and study something useful, knowing how many bananas kay burley eats a week, or whatever it is you ask, is hardly likely to get you a job as the next big thing on sky.

#17393 Reply

Newsroom
    Participant

Newsroom’s kind would get the boot very quickly, if I had a say, and you, Newsboy2, would be asked to spell properly.

Oh well….

(1) why would i get the boot?

and (2)-this is a forum so we use shorthand to write if we prefer…….,goly gosh u tink u own the place!

#17394 Reply

Newsroom
    Participant

The Magic monkey: the reason i log in regularly(although not quite sure whether you were addressing me?) is because im currently studying for my exams which are in June and my computer is in my bedroom and i use it for studying…i regularly check these forums to see what is going on.I am 18.

To the monkey aswell: Im sure the other 18 yo(newsboy) does have a life-u can see he was only getting frustrated with stupid “kno-alls” like Kristian.

BTW:What is the forum u run Kristian??

How to make your life sadder than it is already and comment on peoples shorthand?????

People like Kristian really annoy me.

#17395 Reply

NEWSBOY2
    Participant

You saying a degree in Broadcast Journalism isn’t useful? If you want a job in the industry then you need one. All I asked about the bin was who empties it? It might have been a gopher, lol

#17396 Reply

Newsroom
    Participant

In Ireland the more common way is to do a degree in something u like then a post grad in media/communications/journalism!!!

#17397 Reply

Forum Member
    Participant

sorry to burst your bubble, but every interview I have read with famous news personalities says not to do journalism.

Read the BBC website’s biographies ofall their famous reporters. Not one of them has done this degree at university.

#17398 Reply

Forum Member
    Participant

Oh how great for you! You?re an ADMINISTRATOR, bet that makes you feel like a big man!

Not really. I was just trying to find a reason for me caring about spelling and you not giving a feck. I wrote it without using Caps Lock, btw. I didn’t try to make a big deal out of it, like you did.

You honestly think anyone cares?

I know that the people I give the boot do. As mentioned, I wasn’t trying to make myself seem important, I was merely trying to understand why “u” write the way you do, in a discussion forum and not a chat.

(1) why would i get the boot?

Because you’re acting like a little prat.

I can’t for the life of me see why you’re both making such a big deal out of it. I find it silly to use this kind of language in a place like this. It looks horrible, and in my two years of being a moderator/administrator I’ve seen that encouraging proper spelling can greatly improve people’s writing. I’ve seen many a user come in with very shoddy danish, only to have become very competent in a short period of time, after being encouraged by moderators to give it a bit more effort when writing posts.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 41 total)
Reply To: All those studying Broadcast Journalism at Uni say HEY!
Your information: