Anjali Rao

Forums Forums TV Newsroom Anjali Rao

This topic contains 243 replies, has 42 voices, and was last updated by  FandaGeteKath 7 years, 3 months ago.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 244 total)
  • Author

jwad
    Participant
    #18423 Reply

jwad
    Participant

hey guys,

luv the forum, was wondering if anyone had any idea if there are any pictures of her???

thanks

#18424 Reply

Sky Lad
    Participant

There is some on this site in the presenters section….

Here’s the link

http://skynewscentre.co.uk/viewpictures.as…mages/AnjaliRao

#18425 Reply

jwad
    Participant

thanks dude, appreciate it

#18426 Reply

phaedrusuk
    Participant

jwad+Aug 15 2004, 11:17 AM–>(jwad @ Aug 15 2004, 11:17 AM)
    thanks dude, appreciate it

A quick Google search reveals AnJali Rao is an alumni of Cobham School, Cobham, Surrey.

See: http://www.cobhamhall.com/pastPupils.htm

This (Private) Boarding School is an “International School” hosting young people of many nationalities – so I suspect either AnJali was sent away to Board in the UK, or perhaps her parents were resident in the UK and sent her there for a rounded International education ?

I noticed AnJali on Sky News overnight last week. I’m already a fan and find I watch the News longer when she is presenting!

I was taken with her natural friendliness towards the camera, her top presentation skills and, ummm, errr, not to mention her stunning good looks which got my attention in the first place ! She’s a natural, the camera loves her (or is it just me then ?! ) and I would tip AnJali for the top, from what I’ve seen so far!

Sigh, alas it looks as if AnJali is married (spot that HUGE encrusted Diamond Wedding ring!), and expecting a child, from other reports I have read here, else I’d be asking how to contact her ! Her partner is a lucky man!

P.S. If anybody wants to start an AnJali Rao Fan-site/thread, then please do! Or post here any other information people have on AnJali’s career at Sky News or formerly at StarTV(which is a Sky group company) here.

If not seen already, AnJali’s Profile (tbs) and Pictures are here:

http://skynewscentre.co.uk/profiles/AnJaliRao.asp

I have to say though, the static Pictures don’t do her justice !

Cheers, Phaedrus (an enchanted male viewer!)

#18427 Reply

jwad
    Participant

in my opinion her and natasha k are the most “interesting” news people on the tv in the history of news presenting!!

ps. someone should make a website dedicated to the pair!!

#18428 Reply

phaedrusuk
    Participant

jwad+Aug 17 2004, 12:50 AM–>(jwad @ Aug 17 2004, 12:50 AM)
    ps. someone should make a website dedicated to the pair!!

… go on then…!!!

P.

#18429 Reply

jwad
    Participant

id be more than willing to help someone get it started but i know next to nothin wen it comes to hosting etcc.!!

#18430 Reply

Forum Member
    Participant

I’ll gladly host it if/when you make a good site about AnJali and/or Natasha. You should get a decent domain though, as I’d think http://www.mel-ler.dk/natashaandanjali would be a sorta stupid address

#18431 Reply

Forum Member
    Participant

I’ve been a fan of Anjali Rao since I lived in Indonesia from 2000-2002 doing media research, and we watched her on Star TV’s nightly news. We all fell in love with her, especially her posh accent and smart outfits, although we discovered she only had about 4 of them that she rotated. From the photos they’ve put up, it looks like she’s bought a few more, or at least the same clothes in new colors. I’m in the U.S. now so I can’t see the lovely Anjali deliver the news anymore — Is Sky News in Australia? Perhaps I could get it from my satellite provider.

I thought about creating a fan site at the time, as I couldn’t find anything on the Internet about her, and my inquiry to Star News actually wound up being answered by Anjali herself. She was extremely gracious and polite, and I exchanged a few emails with her, but quickly said my good-byes for fear she’d think I was some sort of stalker (the person who’d forwarded my original email to her had included the note “HANDLE THIS!!!” with it). I was amazed that it was apparantly one of the first pieces of fan mail she’d received. She mentioned that Star News forbade me from starting a fan site, to which I replied that I really didn’t need their permission, but since I had no other way of getting decent images of her, etc., I never followed up. Anjali herself seemed open to the idea, but couldn’t go against her employer, or so it seemed.

In any event, based on my brief contact with her, she’s as brilliant and lovely off-screen and on, so I encourage you to create a fan site. I’d certainly visit to get the latest news on Ms. Rao’s career!

#18432 Reply

phaedrusuk
    Participant

IndoMedia+Aug 19 2004, 04:57 PM–>(IndoMedia @ Aug 19 2004, 04:57 PM)

From the photos they’ve put up, it looks like she’s bought a few more, or at least the same clothes in new colors. I’m in the U.S. now so I can’t see the lovely Anjali deliver the news anymore — Is Sky News in Australia? Perhaps I could get it from my satellite provider.

… and I exchanged a few emails with her, but quickly said my good-byes for fear she’d think I was some sort of stalker … …she’s as brilliant and lovely off-screen and on,

Thanks for the info. IndoMedia. Can you summarise your brief email discussion with AnJali ? Did she say anything about her career, what she was looking to do, or anything else you might think we’d find interesting ? Although I found she is an ex-alumni of Cobham Hall school, http://www.cobhamhall.com/pastPupils.htm did she say where she is from originally ?

I too do not want to appear as a ‘nutter’ – I’m just interested ! I suppose this is the curse of people who appear on TV – their viewers feel they ‘know’ or have some right to ask about the people they see… I think studies show that if you watch TV, you often see more of the “friendly faces” on the TV than other “real” people, so it can be understandable.

N.B. You said “the pictures they’ve put up of her” – you should be aware that the pictures at the skynewscentre are NOT from Sky – SkyNewscetre.co.uk is a FAN site itself – very professionally done by Tom (webmaster) – but I note that

I think you would be able to see Sky News (and AnJali ?) via the Sky News Australia service, becuase of the following;

AnJali was on again overnight here last night (Sky News UK via Freeview terrestrial digitalTV service) . During her stint, at one point she said: “… and we now welcome Australian and < (other country I forget - possibly New Zealand?> viewers to our service.”

So it looks like the lovely AnJali can be seen on all Sky services when they offer the service to their sister channels!

Also – I notice that the skynewscetnre.co.uk site lists her name as AnJali Rao – i.e. capital ‘A’ *and* capital ‘J’ in her first name – very interesting/unusual! Do we know where this originates from ?

Finally, other threads/replies indicate AnJali is pregnant at the moment, Is this correct ?( this explains why she is wearing a number of “chinese mandarin-style” jackets to hide the bump a little, I think. Last night was a white scalloped-neck jacket – very classy! Anyway, that’s enough detail there, I think !

Any information on the rise and rise of AnJali, who I think is a future TV news ‘star’ is most welcome here!

Cheers, P. (UK)

P.S. I’m amazed that was the first fan email she’d received at Star TV – do you think she has received any while now she ins on Sky TV UK ? How would we contact her – via mailto:news@sky.com possibly ?

#18433 Reply

Hello
    Participant

phaedrusuk+Aug 19 2004, 09:27 PM–>(phaedrusuk @ Aug 19 2004, 09:27 PM)

P.S. I’m amazed that was the first fan email she’d received at Star TV – do you think she has received any while now she ins on Sky TV UK ? How would we contact her – via mailto:news@sky.com possibly ?

If you wanted to get in touch with the lovely AnJali Rao try Anjali.Rao@bskyb.com

#18434 Reply

Hello
    Participant

PS to last post: Who’s idea was it to put two of Sky’s best looking female presenters (Karin Giannone and Anjali Rao) on presenting through the night UK time? Unless you live on the Australian time zone or are able to watch Skynews through the night then you miss out on two of their best female presenters. They should be moved to a daytime slot (UK time).

#18435 Reply

jwad
    Participant

hehehhe see ive managed to pry quite a few anjali fans from the woodwork, now all we need to do is somehow get together and launch a few ideas,
    who knows in 5 years she could be bigger than natasha!!!
    fingers crossed she does,

#18436 Reply

Forum Member
    Participant

Finally, a surge of interest in Anjali Rao! Clearly she made the right move in leaving Star for Sky News, since she got no attention before. Every six months or so I would throw her name into Google, just to see if anything had developed, and this was the first time anything came up besides that blurb from her prep school.

I’d rather not turn my brief correspondence with Ms. Rao into a seedy expose — the truth was that she was incredibly friendly, literate and polite in every email, and always wrote back, even when I revealed to her that my friends and I would make bets as to which of her four outfits she’d be wearing on a given night! She took everything with good humor, noting something like “I’d better get myself some new outfits!”

Ms. Rao’s dedication in responding to my ‘fan mail’ reminded me of those old Beatles movies where their manager makes sure they sit down and write a nice, individual response to each fan letter they’d received. It seemed anachronistic in this era of transnational celebrity. I seem to have lost the emails now, alas, but I well remember the opening line from her first response, which read “Your email has made a gray and rainy day in Hong Kong much more pleasant.”

I’m a university professor now, and shouldn’t be engaged in silly celebrity worship (not that I should have 2 years ago either!), but there certainly is something about Anjali Rao that inspires dedication. She’s beautiful, of course, but so are many newscasters, and we don’t care a wink about them. I think there’s something so straightforward, so ‘old school’, as we say here in the States, about the way she does the news — she seems the essence of ‘prim and proper’, without a trace of sarcasm or jadedness. Back in Jakarta, it almost made me buy into Rupert Murcoch’s (owner of Star) right-wing bias!

I envy you all who are able to watch her now — it doesn’t look like Sky News is available here in the US. Perhaps the BBC will snatch her up soon and then America will finally be able to catch a glimpse of the fabulous Anjali Rao.

#18437 Reply

Hello
    Participant

[QUOTE=IndoMedia,Aug 20 2004, 03:13 PM] Finally, a surge of interest in Anjali Rao! And why not?

What is the cable/satellite station that Sky owns in the States? Is it Fox? You often hear about them on the news in the UK when an American story breaks. I would have thought that Sky news would be available in the States through one satellite or another. :rolleyes:

#18438 Reply

Forum Member
    Participant

Yes, Fox and Sky are both owned by News Corporation (Newscorp), Rupert Murdoch’s media empire. They also own DirectTV, one of the satellite service companies I could theoretically have installed, but inexplicably DirectTV doesn’t offer Sky as one of the 220 channels available to US subscribers. It’s no great surprise really, Americans are notoriously disinterested in news from outside the country. Even the BBC available here is ‘BBC America’, which has been programmed so as to remain palatable to U.S. tastes. *sigh*

#18439 Reply

phaedrusuk
    Participant

If IndoMedia in the US can get Sky News Australia from Satellite, the overnight UK service appears to broadcast to the Sky Australia service at certain times.

I would question whether AnJali has made the right move to Sky News, yet – she seemed to have been the Anchor “KingPin” presenter to South East Asia while at Star TV ?

Isn’t her move more of a stepping stone using the Sky group – Star TV -> SkyNews -> wherever – via the Sky News overnight service – to something better in the future ? Presumably day-time and then to ITN, etc. ?

The star TV web-site has a number of Anjali Rao news videos (asf/rm format) including her expose of – I see that AnJali she won the Best Documentary award for her “Toxic Trail” documentary:

Video at:
    http://www.focusasia.startv.com/indepth.cf…40201&CLIP_NO=1

You can search for “Anjali Rao” Star TV documentary/report videos in their Archive Search facility at Star TV here:

http://www.focusasia.startv.com/archive.cfm

P.S. (My google search also revealed another Anjali Rao – an Indian adult glamour model ! And it’s not as uncommon a name as I first thought!)

[ P.P.S. I note that Karin Giannone has a first-class Modern Languages degree from Cambridge Uni – bright *and* attractive – always an irresistible combination! But AnJali is still my favourite ! ]

Cheers, P.

#18440 Reply

phaedrusuk
    Participant

A follow-up:

Thanks for the info re. your email chat. Did AnJali mention her career ambitions in your brief email discussion, while at Star TV ? Does she want to present in the studio or do more out-of-studio work, for example, as she seems to have done a lot of documentaries on Star TV while in Hong Kong.

Presumably she didn’t mention leaving StarTV for Sky UK to you !?

I think it is the “public-school” English-neutral accent, (read: prim-and-proper !), reads the news items with interest, with good vocal intonation, plus the fact that she smiles and is “warm, friendly and natural” to the camera, which is what appeals.

Aside: How do they manage to present the 5 hour (1- 6 am ?) rolling news service format – I would say AnJali and her colleagues repeat the SAME news item at least 4 or 5 or more times an hour – depedning on the amount and variety of new items.

They must get bored of reading the SAME news items and showing the same clips hour after hour, 15 mins at a time, approx.

And on the Overnight service, there is little or no new items being introduced – they seem to hold back an item or two and slowly drip-feed these into the “rolling/repeating schedule” over the period.

But it still looks very boring to do… and when / how do they take a drink, do they have their make-up retouched by floor-manager , etc. ? (and time for other unmentionables!) – there seems little time to fit any of this in hour after hour – or do they do that when they show CBS/other US news programmes for half-an-hour or so ?!

My favourite part of the Overnight service is the review of the UK papers – that gives AnJali and other presenters a few minutes to ad-lib and express themselves and reveal a little of their personality / attitudes to the newspapers.

Cheers, P.

#18441 Reply

phaedrusuk
    Participant

… except I couldn’t help replying to Jwad re. Ms. Kaplinski – since she won the Strictly Come Dancing (BBC 1 TV celebrity dancing competition) which has launched her career from BBC Breakfast news presenter to a minor Celebrity in the UK press, known to many more people, this revealed too much about her!

A number of articles re. her being nice on camera in interviews, but being able to “switch the charm on and off”. almost “too professional” – and she is also much more timid off-screen.

Whereas Ms. Rao seem nice all the time, from what I’ve read here! Maybe she should try taking part in one of these reality TV shows too ?!

Cheers, P.

#18442 Reply

jwad
    Participant

dudes!!!

nice 2 see sooo many anjali fans, but the thing is, how do we go about getting her more tv time? im sure theres something we could do? maybe all email sky news tv?

any more suggestions?

#18443 Reply

Hello
    Participant

nice 2 see sooo many anjali fans, but the thing is, how do we go about getting her more tv time? im sure theres something we could do? maybe all email sky news tv?

any more suggestions?

What about emailing Anjali and saying to her that it’s a shame she is not on a better slot (Uk time wise)?

#18444 Reply

Forum Member
    Participant

Well it wouldn’t hurt her career if we built up her celebrity a bit. Perhaps ‘The Anjali Rao Fan Club’ is in order! Certainly we could put together a website; I’ve been tinkering with one myself, but my ISP doesn’t give me many tools (i.e. no Perl scripting or PHP), so it’d have to be pretty simple. Also, getting high resolution images would help, but those would presumably have to come from her or Sky.

One note – I was able to get the Focus Asia archive search to work a few days ago, but lately it won’t turn anything up when I search for Anjali Rao. If it’s still working for any of you, perhaps you could post all the page links here (I think there were about 6 of them) so I can put them in my developing site.

Cheers,
    Indo

#18445 Reply

phaedrusuk
    Participant

IndoMedia+Aug 23 2004, 10:43 PM–>(IndoMedia @ Aug 23 2004, 10:43 PM)
    Focus Asia archive search to work a few days ago, but lately it won’t turn anything up when I search for Anjali Rao. If it’s still working for any of you, perhaps you could post all the page links here

01 FEBRUARY 2004
    Anjali Rao reports on the widespread use of pesticides in India that is poisoning villagers.
    “Toxic Trail” – AnJali Rao:
    http://www.focusasia.startv.com/indepth.cf…40201&CLIP_NO=1

20 JANUARY 2002
    Anjali Rao finds out if the practice of bear bile farming can be halted in China.
    http://www.focusasia.startv.com/indepth.cf…20120&CLIP_NO=2

11 NOVEMBER 2001
    Anjali Rao looks at how iodised salt is helping fight diseases among Chinese children.
    http://www.focusasia.startv.com/indepth.cf…11111&CLIP_NO=3

28 OCTOBER 2001
    Anjali Rao reports on the immunisation programme in Laos.
    http://www.focusasia.startv.com/indepth.cf…11028&CLIP_NO=3

09 SEPTEMBER 2001
    Anjali Rao reports on the rehabilitation of street children in India.
    http://www.focusasia.startv.com/indepth.cf…10909&CLIP_NO=5

11 FEBRUARY 2001
    Anjali Rao looks at the demands of Asian migrants for greater political representation in Australia.
    http://www.focusasia.startv.com/indepth.cf…10211&CLIP_NO=4

===
    (from StarTV Focus Asia, Archive search site:
    http://www.focusasia.startv.com/archive.cfm

HTH, Cheers, P.

#18446 Reply

Johnnie
    Keymaster

Anjali’s hair looks very nice tonight..

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 244 total)
Reply To: Anjali Rao
Your information: