Barbara Serra

Forums Forums TV Newsroom Barbara Serra

This topic contains 21 replies, has 17 voices, and was last updated by  Forum Member 12 years ago.

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Author

Johnnie
    Keymaster
    #26115 Reply

charliefhead
    Participant

Saw her present Five news the other day…..wow!!!

She should get a permanent slot on Sky news, did anyone else see her…..great presentation style, beautiful to boot!!!

What more could you want??

#26116 Reply

crazyfj
    Participant

i think she is with Five now full-time

#26117 Reply

wolverine
    Participant

BUENA SERA A TUTTI !

#26118 Reply

sky.dub
    Participant

crazyfj+Jul 26 2005, 05:43 PM–>(crazyfj @ Jul 26 2005, 05:43 PM)

Awe I thought she was very comprehensive and watchable!

#26119 Reply

skyspy
    Participant

Oh I really hope not – I dont like her accent or her poor english . It reminds me of “Paola Scorchio ” !

I hope Five get someone else in soonish.

#26120 Reply

daved2424
    Participant

What do you mean poor english? She is english!

#26121 Reply

dodrade
    Participant

daved2424+Jul 28 2005, 12:44 AM–>(daved2424 @ Jul 28 2005, 12:44 AM)

No way, you’re taking the mickey.

#26122 Reply

daved2424
    Participant

Her dad is Italian, I think.

#26123 Reply

rob237
    Participant

daved2424+Jul 27 2005, 11:44 PM–>(daved2424 @ Jul 27 2005, 11:44 PM)

Born in Milan, brought up in Denmark……

#26124 Reply

dodrade
    Participant

rob237+Jul 29 2005, 04:57 PM–>(rob237 @ Jul 29 2005, 04:57 PM)

daved2424+Jul 27 2005, 11:44 PM–>(daved2424 @ Jul 27 2005, 11:44 PM)

Born in Milan, brought up in Denmark……

….accent from central casting?

#26125 Reply

phaedrusuk
    Participant

dodrade+Aug 1 2005, 02:45 PM–>(dodrade @ Aug 1 2005, 02:45 PM)

Errrr, no! Her accent is defnitely NOT pure english! There is an Italian and mid-atlantic twang to it which one minute makes you think she’s american, the next “anglo-european” – very disconcerting. Didn’t like it at all and very off-putting and diverting. I suppose it works well enough for 2-miute reports from somewhere in Europe – but on Channel Five news reports it’s awful!

Only Anjali has the cut-glass English pronunciation that aids news delivery, imho.

Cheers, Phae.

#26126 Reply

Stephen
    Participant

A colleague who has media contacts told me that Barbara Serra used to present the BBC’s London regional news on television but was taken off air because of her accent. There had been a lot of viewers complaining that it was distracting. I am not surprised. It is very distracting over the course of a whole bulletin. I like the clarity of Kirsty Young.

#26127 Reply

HBox
    Participant

I hope this isn’t the case. I cannot believe people would be so ignorant. She can speak English perfectly, better than some other english people for that matter. So what if she has a different accent, by this standard that means anyone with an Irish, Scottish or northern accent of any kind should not be on TV preseting the news. This of course is absolutley riduclous.

Can you imagine the outrage many people would have if Lisa Burke the weather presenter was removed because her accent was ‘distracting’.

Barbera Serra is a professional and fairly skilled presenter and reporter.

Britain is a multicultural society, with many different accents, looks and colours. I think it would be apalling if aspects of our culture other than the ‘traditional southern english’ accent/appearance, are not represented with the same significance.

#26128 Reply

Martin Phillp
    Participant

According to today’s Sunday Mirror, Barbara is Italian, but born and raised in Denmark.

She speaks Danish, Italian, French and English.

#26129 Reply

phaedrusuk
    Participant

HBox+Aug 13 2005, 06:12 PM–>(HBox @ Aug 13 2005, 06:12 PM)

Britain is a multicultural society, with many different accents, looks and colours. I think it would be apalling if aspects of our culture other than the ‘traditional southern english’ accent/appearance, are not represented with the same significance.

Hey there HBox, this reply of yours is not up to your usual standard.

I / We are not saying that because she does not have a South/London/RP type accent we don’t accept her – it is that her accent is (1) distracting (2) all over the place!

I am happy to listen to lots of regional presenter accents – I find Scottish (educated Edinburgh/Glasgow – e.g. Eddie Mair, Nicky Campbell, etc.) often turns out to be especially “good” and aids clarity/comnprehension, for example.

Yes, Barbara seems to be a competent reporter/presenter – but her particular – Euro/Anglo/mid-atlantic accent – which one minute is UK, the next Italian, then next is suddenly mid-atlantic – is DISTRACTING and you find yourself listening to HOW she speaks and not WHAT she says !!!

She is best used, imho, as an on-site reporter – and NOT in the Five News (or sky News) anchor desk!!! Get her off!

I can well believe BBC regional news took her off – she is NOT cut-out for a news anchor presenters job – well not until she has some elocution/voice coaching to make her voice: (1) CONSISTENT and (2) NON-DISTRACTING !

I also talk about Barbara Serra here on the Anjali thread page 14 (page 14 link here):
    http://newsforums.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=411&st=143

There, I’ve said my piece!

Cheers, Phae.

#26130 Reply

burleywarningsystem
    Participant

Goodness, she’s glamorous, isn’t she? Although I wasn’t sure about her coverage of the Pope’s death… maybe she just hadn’t had that much practice with two-ways.

#26131 Reply

Forum Member
    Participant

I only recently discovered Barbara Serra reading the news. I live in France now but on a recent visit back to the UK I switched on to Channel 5 and thought that she was really good, and her intonation & pronunciation very clear, better in fact than some other presenters. The strangest thing is that I recognized her immediately – from her pronunciation aswell as her looks – from Blind Date! She was a contestant on it about ten years ago. I am not so sad as to video and memorize every showing of Blind Date but I just happened to record that particular one as my students wanted to see some typical British TV (I was working in a school at the time).

#26132 Reply

Forum Member
    Participant

hey folks
    she is 100% italian and spent all her childhood till 18 in denmark. in fact i know her danish isnt that great at all, as she didn’t go to the highest “level” of danish at school, she went to the middle level. how do i know – aaah coz she’s a classmate of mine. she did study at schools which were international, hence her english is good.

her accent at school was far more american sounding. it has toned down, in fact when i first heard her on TV a few months ago, i was surprised at how british her accent had become.

and yes, that was her on blind date!

#26133 Reply

Musey
    Participant

anyone got a clip or some caps of her presenting – i like her and have never seen her present!

#26134 Reply

dustymoo
    Participant

roedgroed wrote:hey folks
    she is 100% italian and spent all her childhood till 18 in denmark. in fact i know her danish isnt that great at all, as she didn’t go to the highest “level” of danish at school, she went to the middle level. how do i know – aaah coz she’s a classmate of mine. she did study at schools which were international, hence her english is good.

her accent at school was far more american sounding. it has toned down, in fact when i first heard her on TV a few months ago, i was surprised at how british her accent had become.

and yes, that was her on blind date!

Blind Date? Barbara Serra???

#26135 Reply

Forum Member
    Participant

phaedrusuk wrote:

dodrade+Aug 1 2005, 02:45 PM–>(dodrade @ Aug 1 2005, 02:45 PM)

Errrr, no! Her accent is defnitely NOT pure english! There is an Italian and mid-atlantic twang to it which one minute makes you think she’s american, the next “anglo-european” – very disconcerting. Didn’t like it at all and very off-putting and diverting. I suppose it works well enough for 2-miute reports from somewhere in Europe – but on Channel Five news reports it’s awful!

Only Anjali has the cut-glass English pronunciation that aids news delivery, imho.

Cheers, Phae.

Barbara Serra is born in Milan and grow up in north europe. Her father comes from Sardinia – her mother comes from Sicily – Isn’ t it great?

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
Reply To: Barbara Serra
Your information: