BBC correspondents abroad 'too white'

Discussion Forums Forums TV Newsroom BBC correspondents abroad 'too white'

This topic contains 4 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  jonn0boy 10 years, 10 months ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

Johnnie
    Keymaster
    #32057 Reply

Johnnie
    Keymaster

The BBC’s team of foreign correspondents should come from the same ethnic background as the country they are reporting from, according to the corporation’s new diversity tsar.

Speaking in her first interview in the newly-created role, BBC ‘editorial executive of diversity’, Mary Fitzpatrick, who is consulted on all decisions about television content at the BBC, said the ‘cultural accuracy’ among reporting staff was on her hitlist. She said there were too many white reporters reporting from non-white nations, particularly in Africa.

Link

#32058 Reply

jonn0boy
    Participant

I think if that was said but by white people about black people, there would be uproar, the world we live in eh?

#32059 Reply

dodrade
    Participant

It probably does help being of a similar ethnic background in getting the story, but it is also unashamedly racist. Where will it end, the Health and Education correspondents required to be qualified Doctors and Teachers? Women presenters banned from reporting on male sports?

#32060 Reply

jonn0boy
    Participant

Yeah, I agree, and if you do one then you have got to follow it all the way through. Best left untouched I think.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
Reply To: BBC correspondents abroad 'too white'
Your information:

Add New Topic Login Register