Bradford Police Shooting

Forums Forums TV Newsroom Bradford Police Shooting

This topic contains 14 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by  sky.dub 11 years, 11 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author

calciofan
    Participant
    #28041 Reply

calciofan
    Participant

Terrible news about the shootings in Bradford.

1830 – Sportsline was cancelled – Jeremy Thompson continues with coverage.
    1900 – Sky Report cancelled – Jeremy continues with Julie Etchingham.
    2000 – World News Tonight cancelled – both Jeremy and Julie continue.

#28042 Reply

rob237
    Participant

Abysmal Sky News coverage this early evening on the Bradford shooting…

Involving a continuous, and somewhat meaningless, “live” camera view of the now deserted area…with the occasional sight of a distant policeman.
    Combine this with a number of audio contributors, of variable value and quality, and a terrified studio anchor bending over backwards to avoid using the word ‘”Asian”.

Sky News at it’s very worst……

Cheers
    Robt P.

#28043 Reply

Johnnie
    Keymaster

thanks for the info, been out.

I know Martin Brunt is in London, but do Sky have a correspondent in Bradford yet?

#28044 Reply

calciofan
    Participant

They had a ‘reporter’ there. Can’t remember his name but I havn’t seen him on the station before. He was reporting live and interviewed a couple of eye-witnesses.

Yes, Martin Brunt was speaking from London and they’ve had a number of people on the phone.

Sky are showing live pictures from the scene while the BBC were repeating the ‘latest pictures’.

ITV News struggled as it clashed with the 6.30 Evening News.

#28045 Reply

calciofan
    Participant

Sky Correspondent Gerard Tubb is there at the scene.

#28046 Reply

calciofan
    Participant

Sky News – summary of the events

#28047 Reply

calciofan
    Participant

Alan King and Gillian Joseph at 9pm on Sky News.

#28048 Reply

calciofan
    Participant

Sky Correspondent Miranda Schunke is in Bradford.

#28049 Reply

Johnnie
    Keymaster

Yes, Sky still in rolling coverage mode – the BBC and ITV had TOTH seq at 9pm.

#28050 Reply

calciofan
    Participant

This is what Sky News is about – rolling 24 hour breaking news.

—–

By the way, no signs of Mr Rubin tonight, could this be sign that they will replace him from next Monday.

If someone else was doing the 8pm World News Tonight, you would have thought this presenter and Julie would have continued the breaking news and not another hour by Jeremy with Julie.

#28051 Reply

jk80
    Participant

Hasn’t the news well and truly broken and now they’re looking for any different angle to cover, community relations, arming police etc?

I liked the way John O’Connor just seemed to be rocking backwards and forwards continually chanting “you should ask the front-line police themselves if they want to be armed” like a mantra. Personally I’d say in a democracy it’s for “the people” or their elected representatives who should decide such important things, but considering the views of the police.

Also, although it’s very sad obviously, I’m surprised that the shooting of a police officer is deemed SO much more of a big story than anybody else being shot dead. I yield to no-one in my respect and admiration for the job they do, but there are other things going on in the world.

#28052 Reply

calciofan
    Participant

jk80+Nov 18 2005, 09:42 PM–>(jk80 @ Nov 18 2005, 09:42 PM)
    Also, although it’s very sad obviously, I’m surprised that the shooting of a police officer is deemed SO much more of a big story than anybody else being shot dead. I yield to no-one in my respect and admiration for the job they do, but there are other things going on in the world.

Like the news about a series of suicide bombings in Iraq today that has left over 80 people dead and many more injured.

#28053 Reply

philg
    Participant

I think this is approximately how everything has been covered, for those who missed it:

Between 4 and 5 reports on all channels of shootings, but not the fatality, so not given a huge amount of coverage.

At around 5.15 or so Live at Five went into Rolling News Mode, with Jeremy speaking to Martin Brunt who broke just about all the news, eg: PC dead, both involved were women etc. News 24 and ITV did not report these for a good 5-10 mins after Sky had them flashed up as confirmed.

As usual, all the channels appealed for photos, News 24 got a few quite quickly, Sky had to wait till about 6, by which time News 24 had a live camera, but it was ruined by the fact they had to share it with the 6, and had to randomely cut away then go back 3 mins later. At about 6.30 Sky had a live camera feed, the one they have had up all night, and haven’t taken a break since I dont think, until Sportsline now. Julie joined Jeremy at 6.30, they continued until Allan and Gillian took over at 9.

Apart from the wait for the live camera shots, Sky’s coverage has been extremely comprehensive, are they trying to remind Peter Horrocks et al at the Beeb that they still are the masters of rolling news perhaps?

#28054 Reply

sky.dub
    Participant

Coverage a bit over the top, last time i checked there was still a breaking news strap concerning the terrible shooting. I noticed earlier sky were last with live pictures from the scene, and way behind.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
Reply To: Bradford Police Shooting
Your information: