– ITV News missed out on an exclusive, as they were going to run a story claiming that Charles Kennedy was seeking treatment for alcoholism.
– Kennedy learned that ITV were going to run the story in their 6:30pm Evening News. He scheduled a news conferance at 5.45pm for a ‘personal statement’.
– The BBC’s Nick Robinson, and then Sky (Adam Boulton), reported that 11 Lib Dem MP’s had signed a letter before Christams calling on Kennedy to quit.
– The BBC’s James Landale and Sky’s Adam Boulton reported that Kennedy was going to confess that he has had treatment for alcoholism.
– Sky News then had sources that told them that Kennedy was going to call a leadership contest.
– The BBC had Nick Robinson and Sky had Glen O’Glaza present at the press conferance which took place just before 6pm.
– During the ITV Evening News, Mark Austin did say that it was ITN who uncovered this exclusive story first. They showed the press conference and then spoke to their political correspondents – and then to Lib Dem MP’s. They didn’t look happy!
– Sky broke the news that Sir Menzies Campbell would not run against Kennedy. They were also the only broadcaster to speak with him (for a couple of minutes outside his home) during The Sky Report.
— — —————–
Sky News had to swap between two major news stories quite a few times during their Live at Five programme. Jeremy Thompson was live in Jerusalem – Adam Boulton in the Westminister Studio.
Sportsline was cancelled. Jeremy continued.
The Sky Report was presented by both Julie Etchingham, and Jeremy – covering the Israeli PM’s situation.
Calciofan. That’s a pretty good summary for anyone who may have missed the coverage.
ITV probably still made gains yesterday from the exclusive. I heard both Nick and Adam mention ITV News in one way or another. And I’m sure the papers today would also mention the fact that it was ITV News who broke the story.