Richard Keys Resigns

Richard Keys has resigned from Sky Sports.

Keys, who joined Sky in 1990, is stepping down following sexist comments he made about assistant referee, Sian Massey and West Ham’s vice-chairman, Karen Brady.

Keys said earlier today on TalkSport radio that “There are some dark forces at work here. I apologised on the Sunday. I realised how deeply wrong we were. Having done that I asked could we make people aware of the fact we had a conversation and that both parties felt it was right to move on’. I was told ‘no’.

“Then 24 hours had passed, by which time the world had gone mad. I don’t know why I was told ‘no’ and stopped from telling people what I had done.

“What we said was wrong. There is no place for it in a modern workplace.”

He then went on to say: “I tried to ring Karren twice on Sunday night. I tried to ring her to apologise and she didn’t take my call.”

Barney Francis, Managing Director of Sky Sports, said: “It is disappointing that Richard’s career at Sky should end in these circumstances. However, Richard recognises that his comments at the weekend were unacceptable and we note that he has made a full and public apology. We thank him for his time in helping make Sky Sports the success it is today.”

Speaking about his resignation, Richard Keys said: “I am deeply sorry for my remarks and the offence they have caused; it was wrong and should not have happened. I have thought long and hard and reached the decision that it is time to move on.

“Going forward without Andy would have been almost impossible. I am and will remain proud of our work with football at Sky Sports and grateful to the many people who have worked with me. I wish Sky Sports continued success in the future.”

Keys and his former colleague Andy Gray leave Sky Sports as the channel approaches its 20th year on air.

Posted by on Wednesday 26 January 2011
NFL Logo

Peacock will be the exclusive home of the NFL’s first-ever regular-season game in Brazil. It will take place in week

England Channe

Channel 4 will broadcast live International football this evening. England host Belgium in a friendly at Wembley Stadium, as Gareth

Copy link