Correspondants and reporters

Forums Forums TV Newsroom Correspondants and reporters

This topic contains 5 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  Forum Member 13 years, 2 months ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

NEWSBOY2
    Participant
    #17169 Reply

NEWSBOY2
    Participant

Can anyone tell me how being a correspondant is different than from being a reporter say for people like David Chater and Peter Sharp who aren’t concentrated in a particular field like Politics or Crime and rove around being experts at everything? Are they granted more independence by the editor? than reporters? Which editor does Tim Marshall report to? When does he decide to use a London based reporter just to voice a foreign package rather than actual foreign correspondant?

#17170 Reply

Steven
    Participant

Can anyone tell me how being a correspondant is different than from being a reporter say for people like David Chater and Peter Sharp who aren’t concentrated in a particular field like Politics or Crime and rove around being experts at everything? Are they granted more independence by the editor? than reporters? Which editor does Tim Marshall report to? When does he decide to use a London based reporter just to voice a foreign package rather than actual foreign correspondant?

I assume that Sky will use a Foreign Correspondent when there is one available and close to the event.

The difference with the likes of Chater, Sharpe et al is that they are recognised as senior to the general reporters. Therefore they are more likely to be sent abroad to cover Foreign Affairs. This isn’t a golden rule however. For example Rachel Amatt is in Isreal at the moment. But the reporters need the opportunities to prove themselves.

I’m not quite sure who Tim Marshall reports to.

#17171 Reply

LittleRoss
    Participant

I was watching a video at school about Reporters and Journalists and Corresepondants, According to the BBC – they have a Correspondant/Reporter in the main areas where news is most likley to occur – and whenever it does, they’re on it reporting and send it back via Sattelite.

#17172 Reply

NEWSBOY2
    Participant

Kind of stating the obvious their, lol shock horror, reporters placed near where the main areas of news occur.

#17173 Reply

Forum Member
    Participant

Correspondents at Sky are more senior to reporters, also they don?t have to do any more night shifts. They get paid more and tend to follow stories to the end (like Clifford on the Soham trail). Reporters can be taken off and on long running stories depending on the roster

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
Reply To: Correspondants and reporters
Your information: