Coverage of Missing Children/Murders

Discussion Forums Forums TV Newsroom Coverage of Missing Children/Murders

This topic contains 12 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  Lone 10 years, 1 month ago.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author

irxin
    Participant
    #34602 Reply

irxin
    Participant

Has anyone any knowledge of how the Police handle a case like the one in Portugal over the rest of Europe?

Quoting the law they say they cannot tell the media or even the parents anything until someone is arrested. The Leicestershire police had to supply the family liaison officers and the three news conferences I say were like we would have had in the 1960?s

I am sure the police are doing everything possible but it seems odd that they are not generating the public assistance ? for instance no picture of what she was wearing for days.

Here we have two 24-hour television news channels covering little else all day, particularly Sky, and our national newspapers, almost without exception, have it covering their front page. A quick check found seven nationals with a combined daily circulation of 8.5 million.

The impression that it is leaving a high proportion of your potential visitors is one of complete contempt, we have your way of doing things, and the world can mind its own business.

Sorry that went on a bit but does anyone know how other countries would handle it? Classham perhaps?

#34603 Reply

Lone
    Participant

The Portugese have their own judicial system and laws, and they are just following their own standard procedures. The British media interest is overkill.

#34604 Reply

guvnorgaz
    Participant

Its not just a case of it being the way they do things, they keep things out the media as much as possible as its in their law to do so as it is felt that someone will not get a fair trial as a result of press speculation. So if they find this girl and the culprits are taken to court and get off because they wont get a fair trial due to the media witch hunt thats going on, what will people think of the media then?.Its in my local paper about some guy who was assaulted by a customer and security guards in Tesco’s at the weekend because his daughter matched the description of Maddy

#34605 Reply

irxin
    Participant

I was actually asking what happens in the rest of Europe.

But on your points any British force with be over the moon with the coverage ? They would have their media staff out of bed early and the first televised press conference would have been around lunchtime the following morning.

It would not have said much but at least the following:

Description and mock up of what she was wearing.

The, in this case, local GNR officer describing the effort they were putting in and asking everyone to check their out buildings etc.

The PJ officer would have been their, possibly showing the CCTV from the petrol station and asking anyone recognising to come forward for elimination. (Possibly would have held that for day of so depending on how sus. their actions were.

He would have than asked for anyone seeing anything suspicious to telephone the incident room on ?., perhaps giving another number for English speakers.

None of the above could compromise a court case and it is far better that millions are looking for clues rather than a few hundred detectives

#34606 Reply

guvnorgaz
    Participant

There seems to be something happening, they have sealed off a villa belonging to an English woman and her son near to where Maddy was snatched.

There was an Ex cop on SN the other day, he is often on SN amd he said he felt there would be something happen soon and he said they will find her close by

#34607 Reply

Johnnie
    Keymaster

guvnorgaz wrote:There seems to be something happening, they have sealed off a villa belonging to an English woman and her son near to where Maddy was snatched.

There was an Ex cop on SN the other day, he is often on SN amd he said he felt there would be something happen soon and he said they will find her close by

<-- Switches over from the Shrewsbury vs MK Dons match.

#34608 Reply

irxin
    Participant

I do not think the British Police would be that chuffed if they had to arrest someone exactly were the media pack are parked.

Sounding a little like Soham at the moment with someone very near the investigation,

#34609 Reply

scottish
    Participant

I don’t have a TV up here at uni, but I’m listening to the Sky News website feed, and watching BBC News 24. The BBC at first seemed unwilling to name this man whose house is being searched, while Sky have been discussing him in detail for about an hour. Important to say that he hasn’t been arrested though.

BBC News 24 have Jane Hill, Caroline Hawley and Robert Hall currently reporting from Praia da Luz, while Sky News have Anna Botting, Ian Woods and Martin Brunt.

#34610 Reply

irxin
    Participant

The Portugese girl Gaynor Jesus would have changed everyones impression of the Portugese Police if the had used her from the start as a PR/Media representative for them

Now it sounds like they will not even talk to her after she did these bits to camera.

#34611 Reply

Johnnie
    Keymaster

Sky News is now interviewing the woman who reported him to the police. She is the Sunday Mirror Journalist, Lori Campbell

#34612 Reply

guvnorgaz
    Participant

The guy who was on Sky News the other day is John O’Connor,former Scotland Yard chief and he was just on the BBC, he says from what he knows having been out there last week that the girl wasnt taken from the appartment as there was no sign of a break in, he says Maddy left on her own, probably looking for her parents and wandered down to the supermarked and she was taken from there as thats where the sniffer dogs lost her scent. He said the other day she was taken by someone local and was nearby.

I suggest that he quickly goes from being ex Scotland Yard chief to current Scotland Yard chief, we need him!

#34613 Reply

Lone
    Participant

A very good blog on MSN, which hits the nail over this issue and which I agree with wholeheartedly:

http://msnukhomepage.spaces.live.com/

The behaviour of the media this past fortnight has made me ashamed to be British

Same here

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
Reply To: Coverage of Missing Children/Murders
Your information:

Add New Topic Login Register