Earthquake in Asia

Forums Forums TV Newsroom Earthquake in Asia

This topic contains 10 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by  jonn0boy 11 years, 10 months ago.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author

Johnnie
    Keymaster
    #27085 Reply

Johnnie
    Keymaster

Earthquake hits South Asia, up to 20,000 feared dead BBC Online

Bill Neely and Mark Austin are in Islamabad.
    Mark Austin will be presenting tonight’s Evening News live from the devastated region.

#27086 Reply

Johnnie
    Keymaster

Jeremy Thompson’s not doing todays Live at Five – Is he on his way to South Asia ??

#27087 Reply

philg
    Participant

If he is then Sky are woefully late.

#27088 Reply

tippguy
    Participant

maybe jt is in rehersals? pretty dissapointed with skys coverage. itv is leading the story by far.

#27089 Reply

Johnnie
    Keymaster

Richard Bestic is now in the affected region

#27090 Reply

philg
    Participant

maybe jt is in rehersals? pretty dissapointed with skys coverage. itv is leading the story by far.

To be honest the BBC are doing the best job in my opinion. It helps that they have bureaus in every corner of the globe, but Lyse Doucet has been anchoring in Pakistan since yesterday afternoon, while I have only seen the odd random live in Sky with Kitty Logan, who is a producer for the Beijing bureau as far as I know. The India bureau doesn’t strike me as being great at big, breaking stories, Richard Bestic took ages to turn up for the tsunami coverage. Relaunch or not, Sky underestimated Katrina, and then overestimated Rita, and have now severely misjudged this earthquake.

#27091 Reply

HBox
    Participant

philg+Oct 10 2005, 08:34 PM–>(philg @ Oct 10 2005, 08:34 PM)

To be honest the BBC are doing the best job in my opinion. It helps that they have bureaus in every corner of the globe, but Lyse Doucet has been anchoring in Pakistan since yesterday afternoon, while I have only seen the odd random live in Sky with Kitty Logan, who is a producer for the Beijing bureau as far as I know. The India bureau doesn’t strike me as being great at big, breaking stories, Richard Bestic took ages to turn up for the tsunami coverage. Relaunch or not, Sky underestimated Katrina, and then overestimated Rita, and have now severely misjudged this earthquake.

Agreed.

I think Sky News are preoccupied with their impending relaunch.

#27092 Reply

Johnnie
    Keymaster

Johnnie+Oct 10 2005, 05:02 PM–>(Johnnie @ Oct 10 2005, 05:02 PM)
    Jeremy Thompson’s not doing todays Live at Five – Is he on his way to South Asia ??

Maybe not…

#27093 Reply

calciofan
    Participant

As other members have pointed out – Sky’s coverage is very poor.

The ITV and the BBC are leading the way. Especially ITV 1’s Evening News, who have sent Mark Austin, and even C4 News have sent John Snow to cover the story.

Yes, I know they’re concentrating on the relaunch, but they could have sent someone there to present live from the devestated areas.

When I watched Live at 5 at 6pm today, they only had a few stats on the bottom of the screen before they had a report by Stuart Ramsey – that’s it. While the BBC/ITV devoted 15-20 minutes to the 6pm/6.30pm news.

They could have used Ashish Joshi, who reported really well during the tsunami disaster, and i’m sure he knows that region of the world very well!

I just hope when Sky relaunch, they cover world news a lot more in-depth and not just concentrate on British/American news.

There’s been barely a mention of Hurricane Stan in Guatemala over the last few days and other news from the South American continent and Oceania too.

#27094 Reply

jonn0boy
    Participant

Sky news should follow BBC and get a brazilian correspondent, as they are slipping in South American news.

Richard Bestic is doing a good job in the Indian sub-continent as usual.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
Reply To: Earthquake in Asia
Your information: