Emily Maitlis & Jon Sopel to leave the BBC to join Global

Emily Maitlis   Jon Sopel Join Global in Exclusive Deal e

Emily Maitlis and Jon Sopel are to leave the BBC to host a new podcast for Global.

The pair will also host a show together on LBC and providing commentary and analysis for the lbc.co.uk website.

Maitlis leaves the BBC as host of Newsnight while Sopel was the corporation’s North America Editor.

They also hosted the BBC’s critically-acclaimed Americast podcast, which explored the state of US politics.

“We are just so delighted to be launching this brand new podcast – which will build on everything we’ve achieved with Americast over the last few years – and it will find new audiences and a new home with Global,” said Emily.

“I couldn’t be more excited.”

The move follows Global’s signing of Andrew Marr, whose LBC show is set to be announced soon.

“I’m delighted to be joining Global with my great friend and colleague, Emily Maitlis. We’ve been blown away by the reception for Americast, and are so excited that Global has given us the opportunity to build on this success by creating this innovative news podcast,” said Jon.

“This is an unmissable opportunity.”

Full details of Emily Maitlis and Jon Sopel’s daily podcast will be announced later in the year.

Posted by on Tuesday 22 February 2022
Posted in
Bernard Ponsonby retires from STV

STV’s special correspondent Bernard Ponsonby has announced he is retiring from the channel after 34 years in the industry. He

Darren McCaffrey Images

Darren McCaffrey is making a return to Sky News. He left the organisation in 2018 to join Euronews before moving

Gillian Anderson as Emily Maitlis on Scoop

Scoop is a film based on the true events leading up to Prince Andrew’s explosive 2019 BBC Newsnight interview. The

Copy link