Emma Hurd Moving to Africa

Forums Forums TV Newsroom Emma Hurd Moving to Africa

This topic contains 8 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  jonn0boy 11 years ago.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author

Johnnie
    Keymaster
    #30996 Reply

Johnnie
    Keymaster

Sky News has appointed Emma Hurd as its Africa Correspondent.

Emma, currently Sky News’ Middle East Correspondent has been at Sky News for 10 years. She joined the channel in September 1996 from the BBC.

During her time as Middle East Correspondent she covered the death of Yasser Arafat, Hamas? rise to power and the Israeli Election.

Emma Hurd added: ?I am thrilled to be heading up Sky?s Africa operation. It?s a fascinating continent which deserves much more of the world?s attention. I?m looking forward to bringing more of the important stories from Africa to our viewers.?

Emma will take up the post from September. More Here

#30997 Reply

philg
    Participant

Interesting and illogical appointment in my opinion. A Sky News Insider mentioned in one of the media reports on the loss of DC (IIRC in the Indy) that they saw it as a waste to put a high profile well paid reporter in the low importance Africa post. So they go and put in Emma Hurd?! Surely promoting a senior reporter or London based correspondent made sense, now they need to send someone to the Middle East, and that’s not somewhere to find your feet, it is a major post, second only to Washington I would guess. Also, assume there will be no-one in Africa till September.

#30998 Reply

philg
    Participant

Ah I see you have already posted this Johnnie, not an expert in the finer details of removing a post, I have no idea how to delete this thread, sorry.

#30999 Reply

Johnnie
    Keymaster

First thought is that once Lisa Holland finishes her Job as World News Tonight Correspondent she’ll get the Middle-East Job.

#31000 Reply

Steven
    Participant

I’ve always found Emma Hurd to be an excellent correspondent. I’m not sure though if this is a good move or not. Certainly Africa is appearing on the agenda far more than ever before. I don’t agree that it is ‘a waste’ to put the likes of DC and Hurd in the Africa post.
    I must agree that the Middle East slot needs to go to a reporter with experience, but perhaps Lisa Holland is the person for the job. That would make 4 out of the 8 Foreign Bureau correspondents female!

#31001 Reply

sky.dub
    Participant

How often do we see a story relating to Africa? Africa is a huge continent and Sky?s office is based in Johannesbourg. We?ll rarely get to see her now, a bit of a waste imo.

#31002 Reply

Johnnie
    Keymaster

I believe Emma has filed her first report from Africa today..

#31003 Reply

jonn0boy
    Participant

Is Ian Woods the new Mid-East correspondent as he is filing a few reports from the region?

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
Reply To: Emma Hurd Moving to Africa
Your information:

Add New Topic Login Register