England's cricket tour of Zimbabwe

Discussion Forums Forums TV Newsroom England's cricket tour of Zimbabwe

This topic contains 8 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Hello 12 years, 8 months ago.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author

Hello
    Participant
    #19714 Reply

Hello
    Participant

Should England’s cricket tour of Zimbabwe go ahead?

#19715 Reply

Lee Smith
    Participant

NO. If we don’t do the tour the England and Wales Cricket Board will become bankrupt as the fine will be around ?10,000,000.

#19716 Reply

Hello
    Participant

The question that comes to my mind is how bad does the situation in Zimbabwe have to get before the ICC calls off the tour on the grounds of it being unsafe?

#19717 Reply

Lee Smith
    Participant

If it was a white country dishing out nasty crap to blacks, then we would not get fined and we would be asked by the ICC not to go, but as per usual money rules the roost.

#19718 Reply

Hello
    Participant

I think Stephen Harmison got it right by opting out of the tour on moral grounds. When apartheid was going on in South Africa the international cricket community boycotted the country because of it. Why is this any different? No cricket team should be touring Zimbabwe when these things are happening there.

#19719 Reply

Lee Smith
    Participant

Hello+–>(Hello)
    Why is this any different? No cricket team should be touring Zimbabwe when these things are happening there. 

I think I just told you, it’s because it’s not White’s doing it to Black’s.

You just have to check the racism issue to do with the sacking of Heath Streak as captain, how they said it wasn’t racism, Mugabe is a nazi.

Zimbabwe will be like Ethopia was in the 80’s.

#19720 Reply

8ballz
    Participant

I must say “we” here in England are good at taking things as they are, without ever trying to get a better understanding. This Zimbabwe situation and debate is now being totally over exaggerated. TRUE the political situation is not getting any better. TRUE the cricket side is not international class. TRUE there was an element of racism in the white players dismissal. BUT

-The political situation/moral grounds should not be taken as ground to stop a sporting event. Its a punishment to the true Zimbabwean cricket fans… – which are none to 50.(you will see when the tour kicks off)

-If moral grounds are taken by sportsmen then
    1. Should China host the Olympics?
    2. Should the England Football Team have played in Azerbaijan?
    ………the list goes on.

-If Test cricket was played by classy sides then point at Bangladesh too.

-Why is Duncan Fletcher, a Zimbabwean not saying anything about the situation?
    Answer-Because he knows the England team will be safe..

Why do people here in England have a view that Mugabe will use this as a political tool? He will name none-none of the Zimbabwean cricket players because he is not interested in cricket, the same for 12 million other Zimbabweans.

After all its only a game!!And please keep politics away from sport-Ask anyone living in Zimbabwe its better than 1980-for those that know history you must agree.

#19721 Reply

Hello
    Participant

8ballz+Oct 31 2004, 10:20 PM–>(8ballz @ Oct 31 2004, 10:20 PM)

Why do people here in England have a view that Mugabe will use this as a political tool? He will name none-none of the Zimbabwean cricket players because he is not interested in cricket, the same for 12 million other Zimbabweans.

After all its only a game!!And please keep politics away from sport-Ask anyone living in Zimbabwe its better than 1980-for those that know history you must agree.

Aren’t I right in saying that Robert Mugabe is President or patron or something quite high up in the Zimbabwe cricket union?

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
Reply To: England's cricket tour of Zimbabwe
Your information:

Add New Topic Login Register