EU Constitution referendum

Forums Forums TV Newsroom EU Constitution referendum

This topic contains 12 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by  Harry Hayfield 12 years, 6 months ago.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • #23649 Reply

    eagleeye
    Participant
    #23650 Reply

    eagleeye
    Participant

    Why are so many Brits so terrified of the new EU Constitution? How many people even know what it entails? Have read it? (not selected, misleading extracts from tabloids or anti EU broadsheets).

    If everyone votes no, what does that mean? (apart from giving out the message that Brits are kneejerk anti European/Brussels by instinct – as people are quite possibly voting ‘no’ on something they don’t know anything about – well, ok, excuse the cynicism but ‘voting blind’ is nothing new in elections!). It means things stay as they are, with the Nice treaty, doesn’t it? The view in France with the “yes” lobby is that the new treaty protects you and your national interests better than the old.

    Why do you think this one is worse/scary/anti Brit/anti you? I’m puzzled. Brits don’t like Bush and profess anti-american sentiments, yet they look to the US rather than Europe. I’m a Brit and feel far more affinity with Europeans.
    Anyhow, how much discussion on the details is there on the news as the Spanish vote today?

    #23651 Reply

    eagleeye
    Participant

    Spain voted “yes” – 79% yes. That’s the % that Sky’s website has as voting ‘no’ in the UK!!

    #23652 Reply

    Mr Byrne
    Participant

    Why are so many Brits so terrified of the new EU Constitution?

    I’m Irish and I’ll be voting NO when we have a referendum, but I have reasons for that.

    #23653 Reply

    edofis
    Participant

    Spain voted yes but only 42% turned out to vote. I take it the other 58% couden’t care less. It’s such a shame that so few people vote these days.

    #23654 Reply

    charliefhead
    Participant

    Eagleeye…..interesting that you criticise an NO vote based on blind ignorance, I take it you believe that voting YES is acceptable even though people may not know all the hard facts.

    I will be voting NO, I actually know a little bit about the subject mind you. But the question surely should be based around the fact that people will never ever get to know all the facts…..the politicians will blind people with rhetoric depending on their stand point.

    So in the end will anyone actually go into the vote, making a decision based on the ACTUAL facts?

    #23655 Reply

    Forum Member
    Participant

    edofis+Feb 21 2005, 06:04 PM–>(edofis @ Feb 21 2005, 06:04 PM)
    Spain voted yes but only 42% turned out to vote. I take it the other 58% couden’t care less. It’s such a shame that so few people vote these days.

    We had a turnout of almost the usual 85% when people were stupid enough to re-elect Anders Fogh Rasmussen recently, so it doesn’t go for all of us all the time. I don’t see a turnout on the positive side of 60% when or if we have to vote on the EU constitution though

    #23656 Reply

    eagleeye
    Participant

    Well, you can read the thing if you want the “actual facts”; you don’t have to rely on some politician’s or media’s spin on it!
    If you read it and you vote no, fine. I just see the media pushing for a ‘no’ vote – the little islander mentality.

    However, call me a democrat (small d) if you like, but I simultaneously loathe all/most politicians and believe that the vote’s too precious to be wasted on the public he he . I believe that this makes me a lapsed nihilist?

    #23657 Reply

    Mr Byrne
    Participant

    egaleeye, don’t you live in France? Will you be voting in the interests of France, Britain or the EU as a whole?

    #23658 Reply

    Steven
    Participant

    Mr Byrne+Feb 23 2005, 04:42 PM–>(Mr Byrne @ Feb 23 2005, 04:42 PM)
    in the interests of France, Britain or the EU as a whole?

    Surely they are the same (the interests that is)?

    #23659 Reply

    Mr Byrne
    Participant

    Well, what I’m trying to say is, it seems every EU treaty is great for France. If France doesn’t like something in the treaty, bye bye treaty. Only if France likes a treaty and only if that treaty is good for France, does it get a green light from Brussels. What I’m trying to put to eagleeye is; are you going to vote for the EU constitution because its a good thing for France (because if I’m not mistaken, thats where you live) or are you going t for it because its a good thing for your home country?

    I will be voting against the treaty for more than one reason. We always have a referendum on EU treaties. We had one on the Nice treaty and we voted NO. Our government decided that a NO vote means we have another referendum and this time they scare monger us into voting YES. The EU commission and all the bureacrats decided that the treaty would go ahead despite us voting NO! (We voted YES the second time around due to scare mongering, but the EU had decided to push ahead even after we voted NO the first time). Personnally, I think this EU thing has gone too far. The EU has been good to Ireland, but mainly due to us simply being part of the EU, the common market. Idiots think that the EU has given us all this money for updating our infrustructure but most of this has been spent on follies. All the money that the avergae Joe has, has come from wealth from multi-national companies that has spilt over on the rest of the country. Most of this money has come from American companies. So in my opinion, my country has more to thank the Americnas for than the EU. So basically, this idea of “The EU has been good to us” – always vote YES to what they want – it doesn’t work for me. When I see a nice four laned motorway around Dublin, a rail link to Foynes and a high-speed rail link between Dublin and Cork , then I will accept that attitude and our government and bureaucrats have.

    As regards the treaty, if I’m not mistaken, it was negotitated successfully during the Irish presidency. People such as Betie Ahern (no education), D’ick Roche (natural idiot), Martin Cullen (gives six-figure salleries to his PR, paid for by the taxpayer), Dermott Ahern (Berties borther, nice of him to give his brother the job as Foreign Minister) at the forefornt. – They are all utter gobshits (but I’m sure you’ve realised that yourself by now). I have no fate in anything they do here or abroad, I will not vote for anything that they have had a major role in because its bound to collapse sometime in the near future.

    #23660 Reply

    eagleeye
    Participant

    ….and I’m the who’s supposed to be a nihilist !

    As a Brit in France, I don’t think I have a vote in either country. I would vote “yes” though. Based on what I’ve read, which is admittedly extracts. You can buy the entire text of the treaty here, but it’s a bit of a doorstop. There must be a weblink for it – in English. If someone finds it, can they post it?

    Europe needs to be stronger and more united, now that we live in a one hyperpower world. Now that lot do NOT act in my interests, nor your’s. imo.

    #23661 Reply

    Harry Hayfield
    Participant

    Full Result of the referendum in Spain:

    YES: 10,804,464 (76.77%)
    NO: 2,420,409 (17.20%)
    Blank Votes: 849,143 (6.03%)
    Turnout was estimated at 42%

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
Reply To: EU Constitution referendum
Your information: