First There Was Pole-Cam…

Forums Forums TV Newsroom First There Was Pole-Cam…

This topic contains 8 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by  SimUK 12 years, 8 months ago.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author

Skybaby
    Participant
    #21795 Reply

Skybaby
    Participant

…now welcome to Hijack-Cam. Forgive me under the circumstances, but whoever thought that it was a good idea to have a live picture from the scene hastily slapped over the rest of the morning’s news (even when they were back in the studio) should be shot.

I know I probably sound like “Disgusted of Tunbridge Wells”, but in all honesty I found it rather distasteful, I think because of the way it is/was done – it was as bad as American news channel’s coverage of car chases.

By all means, keep the viewer up to date, but there are better ways of doing than sticking an ugly little box in the corner…tune in now if you can, and tell me that it does not look ridiculous.

#21796 Reply

kev667
    Participant

FYI, all. I think it’s a very good idea, they should leave it on during the ads and weather too.

BBC recently had a box too – it was a ‘Coming Up’ screen with a pic of a newsconference scene that was about to start.. that seems good too, letting people know what’s coming up soon.. keeps them watching. ..maintains viewers. good idea, no?

#21797 Reply

Skybaby
    Participant

Yeah, I’ve noticed that the BBC are now putting up their version occasionally which does look less tacky, but I still think it’s poor. It’s sensationalism, not information.

Since both channels (Sky as usual going into overdrive) are going back to the situation frequently and have their ‘breaking news’ straps up – which is what normally happens when stories are developing – why bother with Hijack-Cam? Nothing is happening the majority of the time anyway and when it does, it is instantly reported on, making Hijack-Cam further redundant.

#21798 Reply

kev667
    Participant

I notice the BBC have their ‘live’ shot on a 5/7 second delay compared to Skys.

..it’s not a brilliant way to do it and it seems a rather large bus is now blocking the whole view.

..this is a reasonably rare thing, a live camera in a ongoing ‘terrorist’ action.. maybe. who knows how it will end & what kind of pictures it will produce when the endgame comes. Sky are correct to show it I think, it’s better than farming it out to Active where noone will see it.

..It seemed to me during PMQ’s – you could hardly see the all important bus in their small window (BBC’s that is) – seems pretty pointless to me.

ta
    kev

#21799 Reply

Tanya
    Participant

I don’t find “live cam” redundant at all, especially in a hostage crisis, where the whole situation can change in a minute. Like Kevin already mentioned “to press active” doesn’t help much, especially not to foreign viewers.

I think Sky News is doing an excellent work, to keep us all informed and to bring us up-to-date as fast as possible!
    ______
    Tanya

#21800 Reply

NEWSBOY2
    Participant

It could go on for hours or days. I don’t think its a good way of covering the story. If something happened you would cut instantly to the live feed, I don’t see the advantage of basically displaying something continously on screen which is mostly static.

#21801 Reply

Harry Hayfield
    Participant

Could this be a “test” for a Sky News invention for the general election perhaps?

Bottom of the screen: Seat Tallies / % share of vote / change on 2001
    Ticker: showing seats declared so far
    Con Cam / Lab Cam / Lib Dem Cam
    and then Sky News’s output

#21802 Reply

SimUK
    Participant

I thought it worked suprisingly well, seeing as it’d only been placed over the other graphics – they all (breaking news strap, etc…) still functioned correctly with only the white-on-red slug missed off. Very good use of the screen and as other have said, it keeps people watching for longer.

They *could* have done a split screen all day like has been done for major events before (the Budget) and would people have prefered that? I’d imagine probably not… Notice that they did eventually take it off once it’d gone on for a while and action wasn’t happening much, although I think it returned a bit later when something happened.

We could have had Ukraine Cam for the past few weeks showing people standing in that square freezing in the snow waving flags… :rolleyes:

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
Reply To: First There Was Pole-Cam…
Your information: