Five News Launch

Forums Forums TV Newsroom Five News Launch

This topic contains 22 replies, has 12 voices, and was last updated by  HBox 12 years, 7 months ago.

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Author

bbriscoe
    Participant
    #22147 Reply

bbriscoe
    Participant

It’s been confirmed that Five News is launching early.

They are now doing a 1 minute 9pm bulletin on both the 1st and 2nd of January. Before that they were to start at 5.30pm on the 3rd. The 5.30pm bulletin will still be the first full length show, but will be preceeded by these 1 min updates.

It was all confirmed yesterday. I guess this is because of the disaster in Asia at the moment.

#22148 Reply

gillw
    Participant

What’s going to happen with Julie? She is supposed to be presenting the new evening bulletins and she is currently in Phuket. Do you think she will come back or present from Phuket..?

#22149 Reply

skyspy
    Participant

gillw+Dec 31 2004, 11:51 AM–>(gillw @ Dec 31 2004, 11:51 AM)
    What’s going to happen with Julie? She is supposed to be presenting the new evening bulletins and she is currently in Phuket. Do you think she will come back or present from Phuket..?

Don’t know ,will we find out who is the cover for the main anchors at Five news in the first week. I’d expect Julie to do reports for Five out there rather than presenting it .

Otherwise IMO this hasn’t been a good week for Five news , the biggest news event in years and they are in no position to report it , it really isn’t good enough.

#22150 Reply

bbriscoe
    Participant

skyspy+Dec 31 2004, 01:46 PM–>(skyspy @ Dec 31 2004, 01:46 PM)
    Otherwise IMO this hasn’t been a good week for Five news , the biggest news event in years and they are in no position to report it , it really isn’t good enough.

I don’t yet think we should make assumptions like this. At the moment Five News is running as normal with ITN. From tomorrow they will be produced by Sky. I don’t know any reason why such a big story should be a problem for Five? It is not as if they’re not ready for the launch.

#22151 Reply

skyspy
    Participant

bbriscoe+Dec 31 2004, 03:11 PM–>(bbriscoe @ Dec 31 2004, 03:11 PM)

skyspy+Dec 31 2004, 01:46 PM–>(skyspy @ Dec 31 2004, 01:46 PM)
    Otherwise  IMO this  hasn’t been a good week for Five news , the biggest news event in years and  they are in no position to report it , it really isn’t good enough.

I don’t yet think we should make assumptions like this. At the moment Five News is running as normal with ITN. From tomorrow they will be produced by Sky. I don’t know any reason why such a big story should be a problem for Five? It is not as if they’re not ready for the launch.

My main gripe was aimed at Five and ITN , twenty minutes of news bulletins a day hasn’t been adequate over the past few days.

I’m hoping that Five and Sky can ‘hit the ground running’ and come up with a news special in the coming week and have some Five reporters reporting from the countries affected by the disaster as well.

#22152 Reply

Johnnie
    Keymaster

take a look at http://www.five.tv/news

#22153 Reply

Forum Member
    Participant

So they originaly had no news of any kind scheduled for 72 hours from tonight? I looked in the Radio Times and there was nothing until 5.30pm Monday.

#22154 Reply

Forum Member
    Participant

skyspy+Dec 31 2004, 05:09 PM–>(skyspy @ Dec 31 2004, 05:09 PM)
    My main gripe was aimed at Five and ITN , twenty minutes of news bulletins a day hasn’t been adequate over the past few days.

five news from ITN has been running effectively a skeleton crew since they stopped doing full 30 min programmes a couple of weeks ago before Christmas, because they are winding down the service, and also because the five news staff that are moving with five news to Sky have gone.

All they are (or were, since the last ITN five news bulletin has been and gone) doing is using information from news wires, and pictures from ITN Core and video news agencies, no reports from any correspondents.

So if anyone is to blame, it is five for switching to Sky News at an unfortunate time

#22155 Reply

skyspy
    Participant

Re. Fives one minute news update at 9pm tonight. I was hoping that they could have done more this weekend and produced some more news output.

Perhaps i’m being unfair and do not see ‘the full picture’ but I am disappointed by this break in Five news’s coverage.

#22156 Reply

skyspy
    Participant

Five News returns for a minute . To do no more than show its new face.
    Oh well , dreaming of monday when hopefully a proper news service will return.

Almost forgot , Love the Ticker!!!!!

#22157 Reply

Forum Member
    Participant

Yesterday and today they could have carried simultaneous coverage of Sky News for 30 minutes or so similer to when they used to have 30 minutes of Sunrise in the mornings. They wouldn’t have had to do any extra work for this.

#22158 Reply

Johnnie
    Keymaster

This picture is on Sky News Active:

#22159 Reply

Johnnie
    Keymaster

Alex Crawford is on the first package/report for Five news, she is just south of Phuket

#22160 Reply

Steven
    Participant

Hmm, well I can’t quite decide what to think. It was an easy-to-watch bulliten. They used a report by Richard Bestic (he signed out with Richard Bestic, Five News . . . by the way), and Kirsty spoke to Etchers live in Phuket.
    The Alex Crawford report (is she permanent at Five?) was, well, just not journalism. I like Alex Crawford before we go any further. Is was more a video diary of a search for one single British person. Coincidentally I read a piece on MediaGuardian which quoted Nick Pollard saying that Sky had been very careful to present the full picture of the disaster to its audience, i.e. “thousands killed including 40 brits” wasn’t quite the right story. Then Five launches with a report that not only concentrates on the search of one single Brit but was too long with it.
    There just didn’t seem to be a lot of news. Oh and the report on the dentists – what was that all about? Obviously a pre-launch planned story. Sky did a similar thing when they launched SNI, although there was 2 of those type of stories. It just wasn’t news.
    Love the graphics; relatively simple and not in your face. Lets hope Sky News adopts something similar soon.

#22161 Reply

Tellyguru
    Participant

Alex Crawford’s piece was excellent. It was different and non sensational like some of the stuff we’ve been witnessing on itv news and other channels. It was clear it was well researched and wasn’t samey. I thought Five news was frankly a breath of fresh air and long may it continue. It had the kind of quality that Five didn’t have with ITN. I liked the live to Julie and the package from Bestic was good.
    Remember people who watch five generally don’t sit across Sky like you lot.

#22162 Reply

NEWSBOY2
    Participant

I still don’t know about the set. It seems way too like an American talk show, what with the stairs and everything. (Reminds me of Oprah for some reason lol). Would have thought it would look a bit like Sky News Ireland or Australia, gotta have blue if its by Sky lol.

#22163 Reply

daved2424
    Participant

What a load of rubbish. Too tabloidy and too American. Whats with these head and shoulders shots like big brother is talking to us, very 1984.

I didn’t like the piece of the mother whos out in Thailand trying to find her daughter and complaining she isn’t getting enough support. Yer sorry about that love, 150 000 people have died, I can see why you’re missing daughter is the most important thing, and not the hundreds of thousands of people are likely to die in the next few hours and days if aid doesn’t reach them.

The video wall (not sure if its projection or what, I havnt see it yet, but I guess it is) was looking awful when the live cross to Julie was on it. The picture was very burnt out.

A very poor start indeed.

#22164 Reply

MidlandsGuy
    Participant

Hi … any idea where Sangita Myska fits into the line-up?

#22165 Reply

skyspy
    Participant

Five’s News

I know its early days but this week has been unpleasant viewing for me. Five news has steadily built its reputation by improving year on year. These last dozen news shows have reminded me of their first shows and the days after the cutbacks on Five.

It didn?t start well with their very first report on the first show.
    Alex Crawfords report was tragic, overlong contrived and convoluted. It was more like a Famous Five adventure than a Five news report. Her actions in assisting in the search and afterwards were in my opinion dubious.
    ?I arranged a search party, I brought over a team of Buddhist monks ? What was she playing at? What were Five thinking letting it be broadcast?

Emma Brannams report on dentistry contained an unnecessary and tacky special effect something that was in the style of the Day Today . I thought Five news had stopped using such gimmicks.

And the report of the missing bucket of charity money from the pub, was that worthy of a national news programme?

For the first half of the week it was all over the place with no consistent pattern in the 12.00 or 5.30 shows. The Noon show was particularly weak relying on the ?Diet story ? and Catherine Jacobs tour of millennium projects to fill up half the show. For the rest of the 5.30 and 7 PM shows I thought that they were relying too much on the reports from Sky news to fill in the time.

This overall quality has improved over the last two days as they?ve got more reports in from their own team and the reports from Sky have been less contrasting in their style compared to the ones from Five. Also the new style short bulletin at 7 PM work well as an update. So its beginning to show signs of promise as the first week finishes. I?m hoping Five can bring in some other reporters to their team as the year goes on.

#22166 Reply

hamishnewhouse
    Participant

For more info on 5 News click on the link below

http://www.skypressoffice.co.uk/FiveNews/

#22167 Reply

Johnnie
    Keymaster

Julie Etchingham is presenting Five News for the first time tonight.

#22168 Reply

HBox
    Participant

Oh quit the whining. It is better than it was in my opinion. It has more of a significance about it now. I rarely watched it before simply because it was so dull.
    The only criticism I have is (and it isn’t about the set) that the stories are identical almost to those on Sky News.

Still, I think it’s good stuff. I also think it will grow in time and gain more of its own identity. Just be patient, in the mean time surely it is better than what they broadcast before.

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
Reply To: Five News Launch
Your information: