Five News Subtitiles

Discussion Forums Forums TV Newsroom Five News Subtitiles

This topic contains 11 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by  daved2424 11 years, 11 months ago.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    #26148 Reply

I may be wrong but when I went to school ‘grammer’ as depicted in the subtitles of the ‘Five News’ used to be spelt ‘grammar’. There again I could be termed an ‘old fogie in todays education system!

#26149 Reply

skyspy
    Participant

Fives subtitles are hilarious. I watched one show with kirsty young and whatever system is used to transcribe her words couldnt make sense of kirsty’s accent , it provided a lot of unintentional comedy.

#26150 Reply

icurite
    Participant

Subtitles and any other news-related subtitles and textual graphics need to have correct grammar and spelling. Today’s education system is largely to blame. That is why we have people like Lynne Truss. <_<

#26151 Reply

daved2424
    Participant

Subtitles are done by hand from scripts and by transcribing. Not by a computer.

#26152 Reply

phaedrusuk
    Participant

Well it’s not quite so bad as my local Nationwide Buiding society internal cash machine – with this printer label over the out-of-order ATM:

“This Cash machine is out of order. Sorry for any incovenice”.

(sic). Yes, ‘incovenice” = inconvenience, apparently!

… and you would trust these *morons* to look after your MONEY!

#26153 Reply

icurite
    Participant

LOL.

#26154 Reply

skyspy
    Participant

That doesnt explain why some of the words were as long as a sentence and it was well spelt but imbecilic gibberish. If it was a computer it’s a clever one .

#26155 Reply

burleywarningsystem
    Participant

I believe it’s done by speech recognition – flawed by the idiosyncracies of one’s voice and the uselessness of computers.

but hey, it’s cheaper.

#26156 Reply

daved2424
    Participant

burleywarningsystem+Sep 5 2005, 07:31 AM–>(burleywarningsystem @ Sep 5 2005, 07:31 AM)
    I believe it’s done by speech recognition – flawed by the idiosyncracies of one’s voice and the uselessness of computers.

but hey, it’s cheaper.

As I said just a couple of posts above…

Subtitles are done by hand from scripts and by transcribing. Not by a computer.

#26157 Reply

burleywarningsystem
    Participant

I don’t understand what you mean by “by hand and by transcribing”. They are done by speaking into a microphone and the computer recognising (or not) what you are saying.

#26158 Reply

daved2424
    Participant

No they are not. They use the script that the presenters are reading from and type any ad-libs and differences to the script as they go along. They are literaly typing what they say, or transcribing. How would any computer be smart enough to paraphrase as subtitles so often are?

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
Reply To: Five News Subtitiles
Your information:

Add New Topic Login Register