Fixing SNA

Discussion Forums Forums TV Newsroom Fixing SNA

This topic contains 6 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  NewzNZ 13 years, 4 months ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

MelbourneTV
    Participant
    #13387 Reply

MelbourneTV
    Participant

Well as many regular viewers of SNA may know, its quite stale and dull compared to Sky News in the UK.

So how can it be fixed?

Well I think what they should do is…

1. Co-anchors

Initially start with First Edition and Sky Evening News

and for major breaking events

2. Dump Newshour – its pointless. Its 30minutes of Sky Aust. followed by 25mins of delayed UK news. Half the time you see the same report repeated.

3. Dump the reliance on Seven, Nine and BskyB. Use SKy’s own reporters more.

4. Bureaus in Auckland, Melbourne and Perth

5. Introduce a Sky News Today program, replacing Sky Evening News running from 7pm-8:30pm. Co anchored.

6. Brand new studio complex, move into an old warehouse, renovate it and get a proper newswall and set up with ROOM

So who could co-anchor what?

First Edition:

Monday-Friday

Susanne Latimore & Garry Wilkinson

Weekends:

Vanessa Tresize & Michael WIllesee

Sky Evening News (Later Sky News Today)

Tina Altieri & Terry Willesee

#13388 Reply

NewzNZ
    Participant

I agree with some of it, however I understand they have an extremely limited budget to operate on. And considering it’s a joint operation between 7/Nine and BSkyB, I guess it would be hard to be less reliant on them as content providers.

But there are definatly some things that could be improved on – the long format shows are rediculous as they still repeat the format every 30 mins. Even live weather presentation would help things – though they screwed their partnership with the Weather Channel when TWC went onto FOXTel, which could have been a good longer term arrangment after the bush fires of a couple of years ago…

Otherwise I don’t see a great deal changing unless lots more $$$ is pumped into it!

#13389 Reply

MelbourneTV
    Participant

Well my ideas, particuarly 2 anchors and a larger building would cost money, but there are so much more they can do with what they;ve got.

I for one seriously think they should have their own weather presenters, or atleast use TWCs.

I think they also need to revamp “Willesee Across Australia” it needs to be a bit more,… exciting??? hardhitting???

#13390 Reply

NewzNZ
    Participant

agreed – Willesee is awful.

I also wish anchors would stop dragging in their relatives to read the news – Michael Willesee is terrible and Samantha Koch needs an eye & nose job.

#13391 Reply

MelbourneTV
    Participant

agreed – Willesee is awful.

I also wish anchors would stop dragging in their relatives to read the news – Michael Willesee is terrible and Samantha Koch needs an eye & nose job.

Yeh, Michael is his nephew. Its wierd. Terry’s brother, Michael’s father is also a journo.

One of the “young” Willesees, either Michael’s brother or one of Terry’s sons is married to Monica Kos who hosts the popular Today Tonight in Perth/WA.

Terry and his brother’s father was also a Commonwealth MP and journo prior to that too.

I wonder if Monica Kos’ new born child will follow the family career path…

#13392 Reply

NewzNZ
    Participant

well lets hope they get rid of all the ametuer-hour presenters – you can really tell during breaking news who got the job from who they know…

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
Reply To: Fixing SNA
Your information:

Add New Topic Login Register