Former Prime Minister James Callaghan has died

Forums Forums TV Newsroom Former Prime Minister James Callaghan has died

This topic contains 4 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  dotdotuk 12 years, 6 months ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

kev667
    Participant
    #24137 Reply

kev667
    Participant

Former Labour Prime Minister Lord Callaghan died on the eve of his 93rd birthday at home in East Sussex.

Lord Callaghan’s death came 11 days after the death of his wife of 67 years, Audrey who was 91.

..Adam Boulton’s obit will be posted on the site asap. Anyone here old enough to remember those days? 76-79. Any thoughts?

#24138 Reply

eagleeye
    Participant

I remember him (from abroad) as a gentleman politician or as close to that as one can get.

I also fondly remember a story told me by an East Sussex farmer. “Farmer” Callaghan wanted to burn his field once the crop/s were harvested, so he did. Unfortunately he was standing in the middle of it at the time I don’t know if that’s actually true or apocryphal but it’s a lovely image.

RIP. There aren’t many left like him among this lot.

#24139 Reply

ST34
    Participant

I remember the rubbish piled in the streets because the refuse collectors were on strike and the images of families unable to bury their dead because grave-diggers were striking.

#24140 Reply

dotdotuk
    Participant

I remember him for mis-timing the general election and thereby enabling Thatcher and the Tories to be foisted onto us for a generation.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
Reply To: Former Prime Minister James Callaghan has died
Your information: