Francis Wilson

Forums Forums TV Newsroom Francis Wilson

This topic contains 19 replies, has 11 voices, and was last updated by  jonn0boy 12 years, 2 months ago.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Author

anna26
    Participant
    #26307 Reply

anna26
    Participant

Has anyone got any gossip about the guy and does anyone know if he will answer an email sent to him

#26308 Reply

daved2424
    Participant

Haha

#26309 Reply

anna26
    Participant

Why was he sacked from the BBC ?

#26310 Reply

MelbourneTV
    Participant

Why is Francis Sky’s senior weather presenter??
    Personally I cant stand him. Lisa is soooo much better! The other weather girls are great to, Steph I think is one of them??

I wish SKy News Australia had their own weather team.

#26311 Reply

anna26
    Participant

Francis Wilson is the top weather forcaster on sky because he’s had more experience and he’s sound

#26312 Reply

rob237
    Participant

anna26+Aug 9 2005, 07:53 PM–>(anna26 @ Aug 9 2005, 07:53 PM)
    Francis Wilson is the top weather forcaster on sky because he’s had more experience and he’s sound

Quite so….

He is also one of the few forecasters able to speak ‘off the cuff’ and not, unlike many of his colleagues, be clearly reliant on lofted ‘idiot boards’.
    IMO, Jo Wheeler is another whose forecasting experience shines through.

The whole TV forecasting business has fast become the natural home of the pouting bimbo.

Worst I’ve seen is the Central TV ‘service’.
    Their bulletin lasts around 12 seconds, shared on rota by 2 gormless overdressed women, and scripted by some Monty Pythonesque writers.
    “Do take care if you go out”,”From the word go”,”Dry, but we could have some rain”….et al……

Cheers
    Robt P.

#26313 Reply

nuggetz
    Participant

francis he makes me laugh when he does the weather, he dont beat around the bush he just uses whatever words comes in his mind not like these others weather ppl who use complicated words to decribe whats happening, he just says it straight down the line

#26314 Reply

nuggetz
    Participant

if francis were allowed to he would probably describe the weather like its S*** weather outside its pissing down with rain, thats the type of bloke he his, he wouldnt care hes a top bloke

#26315 Reply

anna26
    Participant

I wish he’d do something with his hair.

He makes me laugh because its obviously not scripted and its like he has just seen the weather for the first time when he gives the forecast.

I get the feeling that he dosent like employing pretty woman for the sake of pretty women and just wants good weather people.

I cant find any juicy dirt on the guy which is annoying

#26316 Reply

jonn0boy
    Participant

Can’t beat Francis!!!

Best weatherman in the world.

#26317 Reply

burleywarningsystem
    Participant

francis is quite mad, talk about blinding you with science. i think he may be the only post-modern weather presenter in existence, seemingly very aware it’s all bollocks.

i don’t have any gossip i’m afraid. i’m sure he would respond to an e-mail if you make it the slightest bit interesting.

as far as the rest go, lucy has nice legs, life for lisa is one long shampoo advert, steph is smiley-smiley, and denise has a promising career in children’s telly.

#26318 Reply

Forum Member
    Participant

Francis is just an amazing Weather presenter. Top notch guy.

He is very informal which is what I admire about him. Rather than reading straight off the stripts and smiling and arse licking for the camera like the BBC does, he actually presents the weather in a way that is personal as if he is your real life friend talking to you. In a clear, concise manner too. Perfect!

ALL WEATHER PRESENTERS need to be like him!

He is unbeatable, a true gem, Sky News is so cool to watch with Francis! B)

#26319 Reply

Johnnie
    Keymaster

What was Francis reading out during the 5:30pm weather? He had finished before i could turn the tv up.

#26320 Reply

Forum Member
    Participant

I think that must have been the forecast when he read out, literally from a piece of paper, a list of the roads in Scotland closed due to flooding. I imagine it must have been meaningless to anyone coming in halfway through.

I hadn’t seen the earlier comments (from 2005) about Francis until today. I couldn’t agree more with the favourable comments about him. His original, inventive style and his fascinating use of language can make the most tedious forecast seem interesting.

#26321 Reply

Lone
    Participant

I think a big problem with Sky is they are obsessed with ensuring most of their weather presenters are female. Francis himself might be to blame for that because I think he has a say on who get’s recruited, who knows. I’m not gay or anything, but it might be a refreshing change if they thought about hiring a bloke next time round. Just look at the BBC, they have a fair balance of male and female weather presenters, and all of them are very comfortable and relaxed when presenting the weather. Sky might want to take a hint from their rivals, or if they can’t be bothered just nick one or two from the beeb as they did with Isobel.

#26322 Reply

irxin
    Participant

A year or so ago Francis was used on ?The Message? on radio 4 as the respected industry expert when they were talking about the dumbing down of the beebs weather forecasters.

Although he was with the beeb before Sky he must be good for aunty to admit he is the expert.

?A Chartered Meteorologist of the Royal Meteorological Society, Francis has been a television weather forecaster for over 20 years – including three years with Thames Television and ten years with the BBC. Francis was the first to introduce satellite movie sequences into weather broadcasts. He introduced the nation to the electronic “paintbox” weather images, replacing the old stick-on icons. He was also the first to introduce predictive hour-by-hour weather graphics. Since joining Sky, Francis has won the coveted title of Best Television Weather Presenter – Worldwide at the International Television Weather Forecasters Festival in 1995, 1997, 2000 and 2003.

As a highly respected meteorologist, Francis was invited to Morocco by Richard Branson in 1998 to advise the entrepreneur on meteorological conditions for his Global Challenge Balloon attempt.
    A BSC Graduate in Physics from Imperial College, he is also the author of seven books, his most widely read entitled The Great British Obsession [1990].

His laid-back, informal on-air style has led to perhaps his greatest achievement to date – being called “the coolest man on the planet” by no lesser authority than rock legend Rod Stewart.?

PS Jo is looking great again today – I much prefer her legs to Francis’s

#26323 Reply

Forum Member
    Participant

I completely agree that the Sky News weather forecasts are the only ones available that have not been dumbed down. I’m also very impressed by their innovations over the years, and I’m sure that most of those are the work of Francis. One small thing bugs me. It’s not just being pedantic; it causes my brain momentary confusion every time I see it. It’s the time indication in the corner of the screen, which we see as the future weather develops. When it gets to 12pm or 12am I always have a slight blip in my understanding. Why is noon described as PM and midnight as AM? It seems illogical to me either way. Would it not be possible to see the word “Noon” and some abbreviation of midnight instead? I’m sure that Francis could solve the problem. Or is it just me who finds it strange?

#26324 Reply

Lone
    Participant

DRL wrote:I completely agree that the Sky News weather forecasts are the only ones available that have not been dumbed down.

:huh:

If you say so mate, but personally I see the opposite way round. Sure Sky ain’t as bad as say GMTV, but they definitely use sex appeal when it comes to weather forecasting. The forecasts themselves are mostly recorded and re-run (wheeras the beeb are usually live on the hour) and whilst all of BBC’s presenters are qualified and fully trained by the met office, the same can’t be said of Sky: Lisa’s not a meterologist, Denise trained as a lawyer, and whilst Steff was a proper meteorologist they lost her to AJI.

Plus I hate Sky’s weather graphics, they try to be smart by making it realistic but it’s just so vague and unclear.

#26325 Reply

jonn0boy
    Participant

The live weather forecasts on Sky are done and dusted by 11pm, so yes, too many re-runs!

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
Reply To: Francis Wilson
Your information: