Geraldine Lynagh

Discussion Forums Forums TV Newsroom Geraldine Lynagh

This topic contains 6 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  tippguy 12 years, 2 months ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

sniwatcher
    Participant
    #24313 Reply

sniwatcher
    Participant

Geraldine Lynagh did a live report on a year of the Smoking Ban to Jerermey and Anna on Live At Five on Tuesday evening. She was live in The Station House Pub and spoke to the owner and a guy from Ash (anti smoking group). It was very professional and an excellent report.

She was then live from Kitty O’Shea’s after the Ireland v China match on Sky News Ireland @ 10. Another good live report, this time speaking to that pubs owner.

also, another new reporter, Amanda Cassidy was reporting from the Eirebus depot in Blanchardstown after the fire out there. Very good on screen, had only ever heard her VO reports before.

sniwatcher :ph34r:

#24314 Reply

stephen from kerry
    Participant

without grainne s sky news ireland would be v poor

#24315 Reply

Mr Byrne
    Participant

Interesting that RT? (I’m not sure about TV3) has been breaking into regular scheduling to cover the story in the Vatican however Sky News Ireland hasn’t. Naturally, Sky’s coverage of the story is very good, but last night on SNI@10, it seemed that there could be so much more to say, but they hung up their mics at 10:30. Brian Daly must be bored stiff out in Rome, either that or they brought him home as peoples interest in the story increases! – I can’t think of a better way for SNI to be more counter-productive. I wonder will they put on a special bulletin tonight… wouldn’t bank on it though. Sky News is suppose to be about breaking news and I read Gr?inne’s Q&A in the green room but sure, SNI has hardly adopted this, seen as anytime there is a big story or, “breaking news”, they’d never think of breaking into regular scheduling. I wonder is Sky News Ireland ever going to expand or cop themselves on. It appears to be just a marketing scam. Its a pain the arse and an embarrassment to the good name that Sky used to have in Ireland.

#24316 Reply

tippguy
    Participant

to be honest mr.byrne i dont see why sni would break into snuk’s coverage when this story is international. the purpose in having an ireland news service on an international news station so irish people could here about irish news. i know that the story has a major impact on irish people but when sni is on its more or less the same as snuk except with brian daly saying the exact same. i dont see how having sni on unstead of the fantastic snuk coverage would be any better. it was nice to have a bit of an irish view for a half hour but it really wouldn’t make sence to have it any longer especially with the amount of staff sni have. even still snuk’s coverage is brilliant. if they had more staff then maybe they could have gone on for another half hour. i understand the point you are making and if it had been an irish story yes they should break into the uk service. the reason that rte and tv3 are breaking into their programmes is there is no international service there. although on friday night tv3 broke into coronation street to say the pope had died and really he didn’t die for another 23 hours.

#24317 Reply

Mr Byrne
    Participant

Naturally I thought Sky News’ coverage was brilliant too. However, I switched over to RT? News as soon as they broke in. They had reports from an Irish perspective, interviewing Irish bishops and reports from Ireland, interviewing Irish people. They had a LIVE interview with the President and they had reports on how to offer your condolences. They had reports on the popes visit to Ireland and how he meant so much to us. They also had reporters in Rome and poland and in my view ended up giving better coverage of events than Sky News itself. Sky were saying stupid things such as “last communion” and were holding a live camera on the vatican with with people who were seemingly non practising catholics, or even christians commentating and saying stupid things.

As regards a continuous Irish News channel, if there ever will be one, it’ll be RT? that introduces it. Maybe in 20 or 30 years time they’ll make one but I’ll be long gone before there is ever a half decent Sky News Ireland.

#24318 Reply

tippguy
    Participant

yes but mr.byrne you have just said yourself that rte had reporters in poland and rome. what exactly is the point in calling a sky news ireland programme if they are only going to go live to rome and poland. i know that it was nice to see things from an irish point of view but it wasn’t exactly breaking news. you wanted to know what was happening in rome not knock or dublin. you could of waited until 10pm for the ireland perspective and not have it when the story broke. what exactly did you want.at 8.54 or so when paula broke the story for grainne to cut in and say lets go live to knock rather than hering from jt in rome. hes not going to go live for sni all reporters are going to be too busy with snuk.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
Reply To: Geraldine Lynagh
Your information:

Add New Topic Login Register