Happy 1st Birthday Sky News Ireland

Forums Forums TV Newsroom Happy 1st Birthday Sky News Ireland

This topic contains 8 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  tippguy 12 years, 5 months ago.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author

Johnnie
    Keymaster
    #24932 Reply

Johnnie
    Keymaster

Its Sky News Ireland’s first birthday day, and from what i’ve heard this wont be their last birthday, Sky News Ireland is here to stay.

#24933 Reply

tippguy
    Participant

Happy Birthday to SNI and continued sucess to ye all. ye certinly proved some members of this fourm wrong and ye are still going strong. best of luck for the future!!

#24934 Reply

Forum Member
    Participant

All told, SNI has been more good than bad considering staff levels.
    Great journalists, questionable national coverage, awful studio,
    weather graphics need to be addressed, scaling up networks’
    weather graphics is just lack of attention to detail.
    Lots to aim for, but for one year on, well done Sky News Ireland.

trotsky

#24935 Reply

tippguy
    Participant

Grainne even gave a thank you last night from sni. it was a nice touch. and another point for all you anti-sni people. last night sni scooped yet another exclusice with The Taoiseach. That must be four our five in the space of a year. tv3 haven’t got much more than that in their 7 years. i know rte have but there the national station. bertie seems to really like sky. does a lot of live interviews both for sni and sn london. hes appered on the boulton factor a number of times aswell.

#24936 Reply

Mr Byrne
    Participant

Happy Birthday to SNI and continued sucess to ye all. ye certinly proved some members of this fourm wrong and ye are still going strong. best of luck for the future!!

Oh, have they now? Lets have a look at the ratings shall we? Or how about this saturday and this sunday? Will Sky News Ireland be on TV? Its a good thing Sky News Ireland is part of BskyB, they’d be out of business otherwise. You know something, I’ve heard left-wingers talk viciously about Murdoch and his news channels being nothing but propaganda machines and I always thought that was rediculously and foolishly hilarious but seeing your comments on these forums, I think that man is the master of manipulation, with regards to marketing. It doesn’t matter how rubbish Sky News IRELAND is compared to its competitors and it doesn’t matter if they don’t expand and still have the same 1/2 hour, 5 day week rubbish in 10 years time, you’ll still be watching it.

#24937 Reply

tippguy
    Participant

How did I guess that it would be you that would criticize Sky News Ireland.

Lets have a look at the ratings shall we?

There hasn’t been any ratings released recently what are you talking about. and anyways its impossible to tell. they have their viewers on cable, chorus, ntl, sky digital & sky news active along with alot more I?m sure I?ve forgotten.

Or how about this Saturday and this Sunday? Will Sky News Ireland be on TV?

Mr. Byrne you must have been an A+ student you figured that one out all on your own. what do you expect BSKYB to pump millions of euro into Sky News Ireland. You mustn?t of gotten your A in Maths. It doesn’t take a genius to figure out that for money to go out it has to come in. to simplify it even more for you for Sky News Ireland to get money BSKYB need to get more Digital subscribers in Ireland. THAT WAS THE WHOLE POINT IN SETTING UP A SKY NEWS IRELAND SERVICE IN THE FIRST PLACE!!!!!!!!!!!! I’m sure that when more people do SNI will extend their bulletins.

It doesn’t matter how rubbish Sky News IRELAND is compared to its competitors

I don’t really understand How are the likes of Grainne Seoige, Michelle Clifford, Ray Kennedy & Brian Daly rubbish in comparacne to Dimitre O’Donnell who would be one of the head news people at TV3. Sky News Ireland has improved greatly in the past few weeks.

RT? News was really short when it started up until the government increased the TV licence. As was TG4 until they done the same and TV3 news was just as bad until ITV pumped money into the company. So when BSKYB get Irish money they will pump it back in.

#24938 Reply

Mr Byrne
    Participant

along with alot more I?m sure I?ve forgotten.

No, just the Freeview digital.

It doesn’t take a genius to figure out that for money to go out it has to come in. to simplify it even more for you for Sky News Ireland to get money BSKYB need to get more Digital subscribers in Ireland.

Well, there are certain economies of scale with a TV News service. Any idiot cannot set one up, it requires a lot of funding. They obviously needed more funding to make it more efficient but they chose not to. With only 5 hours of news a week, no week-end buletins, not enough jounrnalists etc., how can SNI expect to get viewers? I wouldn say that Sky News Irelands loses are being subsidised by the Irish advertising revenue from the Sky News channel or perhaps the Irish revenue from Sky TV a;ltogether, or else as you mentioned the didgital subscriptions. I would certainly doubht that its making any profits unless those who are working there are doing it out of the goodness of their hearts, which they obviously aren’t and thats possibly why Sky are reluctant to expand, hire new reporters etc. as it would increase costs so either it’ll continue like this into the future or some time will come when they suddenly decide to give it a substantial amount of investment which would increase its productivity and hopefully obtain more viewers.

BSKYB need to get more Digital subscribers in Ireland. THAT WAS THE WHOLE POINT IN SETTING UP A SKY NEWS IRELAND SERVICE IN THE FIRST PLACE!!!!!!!!!!!! I’m sure that when more people do SNI will extend their bulletins.

So, what you’re saying is; they created SNI solely to obtain more subscribers, to get an Irish look and not to create a good news service that would increase Sky News’ viewers in Ireland??? – Right, that makes sense ! – Well done!

I don’t really understand How are the likes of Grainne Seoige, Michelle Clifford, Ray Kennedy & Brian Daly rubbish in comparacne to Dimitre O’Donnell who would be one of the head news people at TV3. Sky News Ireland has improved greatly in the past few weeks.

Biased.

Michelle Clifford isn’t a Sky News Ireland journlist, she was filling in for someone, was she not?

So, let me compare your accuratley selected Sky News Ireland sunshines, they are: “Gr?inne Seoige, Ray Kennedy & Brian Daly” – Man, I can’t argue with that, Gr?inne is an excellent news presenter, I have always admired her, Ray Kennedy and Brian Daly are also both outstanding correspondents. (personally I think they should hire a second fuill-time presenter so that Ray and Brian are always making reports rahter than the odd covering for Gr?inne. However when you compare them to RT? and TV3, perhaps you could be more fair. – TV3 – Clare byrne/alan Cantwell? – How about Jerome Hughes? and I noticed you didn’;t mention RT? because thats the part that gets embarrassing when you compare Gr?inne to Sharon Ni Bheolan , Anne Doyle or even Brian Dobson or how about the correspondents, compare the SNI correspondents to Charlie Bird, George Lee, Barry Cummins, Paul Reynolds and even for foreign affairs; Richard Downes, Mark Little, there really is no comparason to be made in all fairness, especially when you top all that off with the fact both RT? and TV3 have much more bulletins than SNI on top of more reporters.

RT? News was really short when it started

Well, I don’t know that, I can’t possibly remember 1962 or whenever it was but you were to remmeber RT?’s start up, then you’d have to be… lets see, lets say you can remember clearly what happened when you were 12 years old, then that’d have to be about 54,55 around there abouts? So are you 55? – Fair enough then old timer, I can’t argue with that, you were alive and kciking back in the Lemass era, you’d know better than me about how good RT? News was but just me giving an educated guess, I’m sure RT? would have had week-end broadcasts back then.

TV3 news was just as bad until ITV pumped money into the company.

No it wasn’t. Perhaps the general quality of the TV programmes they showed wouldn’t have been as good as they are now (such as Easteneders instead of Coronation Street and they had less Granada made programmes), but I don’t the quality of their News Service was affected, I believe they still had week-end bulletins. also, as far as I was aware, it was Granada that invested in TV3.

So when BSKYB get Irish money they will pump it back in.

But they do have a lot of money, how much money do you, as a Sky Digital dubscriber pay them per month? (don’t answer, its a retorical question). And they also get a cut of my NTL bill for the rights to show the Sky Channels that I have. Plus, I’ve noticed that the advertisements on most of the Sky Channels that I have, are Irish adverts, so theres extra Euro for them too. Sky get plenty of money out of Ireland and perhaps SNI was simply just a reward to those of us that watch Sky News however most of us expected Sky News quality in SNI and SNI has fell short of that standard so it hasn’t been too rewarding.

#24939 Reply

tippguy
    Participant

not enough jounrnalists

don’t know how they are short of reporters in the past week over 15 IRISH reporters have appered on Sky News Ireland including the 3 in the north.

how can SNI expect to get viewers?

as far as i no there hasn’t been a count on skys ratings in a long time so i dont know where you’re getting that from. again with all the different way to watch sky news ireland and no freeview is not the only one, what about all the people who watch sky news throughout the world, it would be impossible to tell how many viewers sky news ireland has.

So, what you’re saying is; they created SNI solely to obtain more subscribers

ya of course that was the whole point. if you go back to the papers in late 2003 all the articles will tell you that as will sky’s press website.

i didn’t compare sky news ireland to rte news because that would be like comparing sky news uk to bbc news(not news 24). they are expected to be better than sni the’re our national news station as in england bbc one news is expected to be better than sky news. for example for the ml. jackson trial bbc one had 8 million viewers and sky only had one million.

i didn’t compare sni correspondants to tv3’s claire byrne and alan cantwell because incase you didnt notice they dont report they are presenters. tv3 have a brilliant presenter line up but it stops there. ok jerome hughes, elaine crowly, laura ryan & i suppose we’ll throw collette fitzpatrick in there aswell cause shes from tipp are all good reporters but it stops there. they dont have any big names. dont understand how you can compare charlie bird to sky news ireland. charlie get ?150,000 per year off of us so he’d want to be good.

and no i’m not in my 50’s thanks very much. the website called tvark gives you all the history on the channel. and tv3 only had weekend updates when it launched. and all the money tv3 get from ad’s goes to tv3 along with the money they get from itv. sky news ireland’s ad money goes to sky news uk who in turn has to pay bskyb. and all the money from the ad’s on sky channels doesn’t go to sky news (ireland) it goes to bskyb. sky news dont have the money at the moment to go give to their ireland service. they have to spend it on the uk revamp. but when they do i’m sure they will.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
Reply To: Happy 1st Birthday Sky News Ireland
Your information: