Hurricane?

Forums Forums TV Newsroom Hurricane?

This topic contains 9 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by  fusionlad 13 years, 1 month ago.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author

news_wench
    Participant
    #18984 Reply

news_wench
    Participant

Yesterday they were saying that hurricane comes from a native American word meaning “big wind”, but today Paul Brennan said it came from the name of the Caribbean god of evil!

Now I’m confused… :unsure:

#18985 Reply

Newsroom
    Participant

You need to get out more!!

#18986 Reply

Easty
    Participant

I ain’t seem much of this hurricane stuff, but what I have seen has put me of 24 hour nes for live. Their are no camera links to the area and no journalsit from Sky there. So picture wise it is boring! Listening wise it is boring! So kill the story.

#18987 Reply

fusionlad
    Participant

Easty+Sep 12 2004, 08:42 PM–>(Easty @ Sep 12 2004, 08:42 PM)
    I ain’t seem much of this hurricane stuff, but what I have seen has put me of 24 hour nes for live. Their are no camera links to the area and no journalsit from Sky there. So picture wise it is boring! Listening wise it is boring! So kill the story.

I don’t think it’s boring.

How the hell are you going to get a Sky reporter there anyway, with 155 mph winds? That could be a bit of a problem.

Ian Woods is in Florida should the hurricane get that far.

#18988 Reply

Mace Boudreaux
    Participant

Why do the hurricane be named after people names? For instance, Hurricane Francis and the Hurricane Stanley.

Maybe hurricane come from Alex “Hurrican” Higgins. He clear snooker table fast as hurricane. Can anyone confirm this?

Mace

#18989 Reply

AJ
    Participant

Mace Boudreaux+Sep 15 2004, 06:56 PM–>(Mace Boudreaux @ Sep 15 2004, 06:56 PM)
    Why do the hurricane be named after people names? For instance, Hurricane Francis and the Hurricane Stanley.

Maybe hurricane come from Alex “Hurrican” Higgins. He clear snooker table fast as hurricane. Can anyone confirm this?

Mace

Hurricanes are named after the people who first spot them, so hurricane Ivan was obviously spotted developing by a man called Ivan (insert surname here).

#18990 Reply

news_wench
    Participant

AJ+Sep 15 2004, 08:54 PM–>(AJ @ Sep 15 2004, 08:54 PM)
    Hurricanes are named after the people who first spot them, so hurricane Ivan was obviously spotted developing by a man called Ivan (insert surname here).

That is soooo not true. The Met Office (or whatever international equaivalents there are) have a list of names for certain hurricanes in certain places – often the first letter of the name depends on where the hurricane is – which is recycled every eight years or so, so they are taken from that. At least the ones in the Caribbean area, I don’t know about others, but they definitely aren’t named after the people who see them.

#18991 Reply

Forum Member
    Participant

http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/aboutnames.shtml

This should give you the answers you’re looking for.

#18992 Reply

fusionlad
    Participant

Shrek+Sep 15 2004, 10:52 PM–>(Shrek @ Sep 15 2004, 10:52 PM)
    There’s always a hell of a lot of wind around my arse, and whilst it smells like an evil god, I have taken to strat calling my farts “Hurricane Shrek”. Maybe I should make Shrek 3 a scratch’n’sniff movie……………. whatcha all say?
    Shrek.

I say your Shrek character is very boring and not at all funny. I welcome people to prove me wrong though.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
Reply To: Hurricane?
Your information: