Ideal Sky News Line Up

Forums Forums TV Newsroom Ideal Sky News Line Up

This topic contains 33 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  Newsroom 13 years, 2 months ago.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 34 total)
  • Author

Easty
    Participant
    #17559 Reply

Easty
    Participant

If you were Nick Pollard – How would you line up the Sky anchors for a week day? The first change I would make would be to have Sky News Today last from 09:00 till 17:00. With a presenter change at 13:00. Here is mine:

06:00 – Emma Crosby and Steve Dickson – Sunrise

09:00 – Martin Standford and Kay Burley – Sky News Today

13:00 – Sky News Today Countinues with Anna Botting and Jearmy Thompson.

17:00 – Live at Five – Julia Etchingham and Mark Longhurst

20:00 – Juliet Foster – Anchors Solo.

0:00 till 06:00 – Chris Roberts.

Opinions?

#17560 Reply

Steven
    Participant

I definately like the idea of Sky News Today being extended.

The partnerships are OK in themselves. I don’t think that Steve and Emma should have such a high profile shift though.

With regards to the evening you seem to want to make it even less high profile than it is now. I believe it should be the exact opposite. But there goes a whole different debate.

I wonder if Eagleeye has any thoughts on that point?

#17561 Reply

Easty
    Participant

I definately like the idea of Sky News Today being extended.

The partnerships are OK in themselves. I don’t think that Steve and Emma should have such a high profile shift though.

I think Emma should, but I prefer Steve to Greg. Idealy they should recruit a new male preseneter to go with Emma.

I

With regards to the evening you seem to want to make it even less high profile than it is now. I believe it should be the exact opposite. But there goes a whole different debate.

Sorry to go off subject…… but ……. I think Julliet Foster is Skys best presenter for shows like News at Ten. She has style and cold toach about her. This would make Sky stand out from News 24 and ITV. I would have her solo becuase I don’t think she gels as a partneship with any of the other Sky team

#17562 Reply

Newsroom
    Participant

I think Juliette foster gels excellently with Chris Roberts-Juliette is one of the best newscasters@Sky in my opinion.

I think Steve and Emma should be given Sunrise-Greg is awful and Lorna more suited to weekends in my opinion.

Mark and Julie -on live @5-no way

Jermy and Anna are far superior than both of them combined multiplied by two.

And with news today(1-5) Id have Mark and Sheila/Paula swapping-theyd make a good match.

Kay should be put on the weekend overnight.

#17563 Reply

Easty
    Participant

Kay should be put on the weekend overnight.

Kay is one of Skys best anchors for breaking news and I think she is fab

#17564 Reply

kaylover
    Participant

this is the way it should be

06.00 sunrise (Emma Crosby and Steve Dickson)

10.00 today (Julie Etchingham and Martin Standford)

13.00 sky news (Kay Burley and Mark Longhurst)

17.00 live @ 5 (Anna Botting and Jearmy Thompson)

19.00 littlejhon

20.00 sky news(lorna dunkley and chris roberts)

21.00 the nine oclock news

22.00 news @ 10 (vivien creegor and david foster)

22.30 the sky report (martin popplewell)

23.30 the papers(vivien creegor and david foster)

00.00 overnight (gordon radley and mai davies)

03.00 overnight (steve gaisford and hannah o sullivan)

I think the day time line up should stay the same it works so why change it?.At night though little jhon should have an hour solt,30 min just doesnt seem to work. The evening shifts shouldd be broken up every 8 untill 10 and 10 untill 12. However at 10.30 i have added a new program called the sky report this would only have live repots no reports that have been played over and over from live @ 5. Also this program would take a indeepth look at the sport and weather news and spend around 15min lookin at the lighter stories of the day.This program would rivel news night and the itv news and would have a new and fresh look with martin popplewell presenting.At 11.30 a look a the mornings papers. 12.00 the overnight shift should be with to presentrs and split at 3.00 6 hours is far to long to stay focused on the news most presenters start to drift off at 4.00 normaly.

#17565 Reply

Newsroom
    Participant

That would not work .

Why pay four people to present the 8pm-oooo shift??

Juliette and Chris should do it.

Also for night shift have to ppl,not four.

Different ppl each night,with Kevin Owen as a regular-he has so much energy.

#17566 Reply

Steven
    Participant

However at 10.30 i have added a new program called the sky report this would only have live repots no reports that have been played over and over from live @ 5. Also this program would take a indeepth look at the sport and weather news and spend around 15min lookin at the lighter stories of the day.This program would rivel news night and the itv news and would have a new and fresh look with martin popplewell presenting.

Well the idea is, in principle, a good one.

However, a few problems:

It would require it’s own team of correspondents/reporters which would be very costly

Is it a news programme or sports news programme?

Whilst Martin Popplewell is very talented, if this is to be a flag ship programme he isn’t yet qualified to present it

And if it is to be a flag ship programme they’d probably be better airing it when they don’t have to compete directly with Newsnight or ITV

Isn’t 15 minutes too long for lighter stories? It is supposed to be a news programme after all.

I’m all for a new flag ship programme. I’ve mentioned at every available opportnity.

#17567 Reply

kaylover
    Participant

the program would idealiy look like this

10.30- headlines

10.46- BREAK

10.50- sport

10.56- BREAK

11.00- headlines from news wall

11.05- business live from bloomburg

11.10- weather

11.15- BREAK

11.19- top stories

11.20- showbiz

11.29- most strange story of the day

I really think that martin popplewell would do very well presenting a show like this because of his young age he can get a younger audiance who maybe want the news but not in the dull standerd way newsnight and ITV do the flagship shows.Also it wouldnt take a large team, just get the corrisondants located around the world for sky and make sure that they all are avalibel to go live on the show.

#17568 Reply

Newsroom
    Participant

Here’s my ideal line up:

WEEKDAYS

6am-9.30am-Sky News Sunrise withSteve Dixon and Emma Crosby

9.30am-10am-Morning Business with David Fostertaking a look at the mornings markets and market predictions

10am-1pm-News Today-morning edition withMartin Stanford and Julie Etchingham

1pm-5pm-News Today-afternoon edition with Mark Longhurst and Vivienne Creegor

Between 10am and 5pm there would be regular links to the London Stock Exchange with David Foster,also sport,weather and showbiz with Georgie Arnold

5pm-8pm-Live at Five with Jeremy Thompson and Anna Botting

8pm-midnight with Chris Roberts and Juliette Foster/Karin Giannone alternating, example one week Mon,Tues and Fri with Karin and Wed/Thurs with Juliette and the following week vice-versa.

This bulletin would include Sportsline from 10.30-10.50 and a detailed look at the mornings papers starting at 11.35pm.

Midnight-05.30 with Kevin Owen/Gordon Radley(alternating) and Sarah Lockett/Sue Radford (alternating)

There would be paper review with Topaz Amoore or another reviewer LIVE at 00.25 and 01.25.There would be LIVE sports news and LIVE weather bulletins from the news wall.

The newswall would be kept on and used frequently throughout the night…also make use of different camera angles.

There would be the usual CBSNews at 00.30 and 05.30

[/i]

#17569 Reply

Newsroom
    Participant

WEEKENDS

6am-10am-Sunrise with Martin Popplewell and Lorna Dunkley

10am(Sat) or 11am(Sun)-4pm Greg Milam and Sheila Jansen/Paula Middlehurst

4pm – 8pm-Early Evening weekend edition with Allan King and Kay Burley

8pm-midnight-Late Evening Weekend Edition with Allan King and Lisa Aziz.

Overnight with Steve Gaisford and Hannah O’Sullivan

Any comments anyone?? [/i]

#17570 Reply

Easty
    Participant

We argue about this loads, but Kay Burley should take Vivs place on your weekday line up!

#17571 Reply

Newsroom
    Participant

Apart from that?

I think Sat and Sunday evening shud be broken into two slots with a diff female presenter on each one….what ur views ?

#17572 Reply

Easty
    Participant

Apart from that?

I think Sat and Sunday evening shud be broken into two slots with a diff female presenter on each one….what ur views ?

Alann King will have bored the views to death after 6 hours – how about you have Allan King and Paula. Then Lisa and David Foster

#17573 Reply

kaylover
    Participant

We do argue about this loads it would be good if people at sky would see this then maybe they would change rubbish evenings for the better!

#17574 Reply

Newsroom
    Participant

and replace kay with viv during weekdays and put kay on weekend evenings

#17575 Reply

Easty
    Participant

basically the whole Sky week day schedule is fine apart from the 8pm until 12pm shift

#17576 Reply

Steven
    Participant

I have my theory why they don’t have quality prime time programming. I’ve explained it before but here goes again for all new comers.

Basically, Sky News’ audience over the last 7/8 years had remained fairly stagnant. This is despite, in that period, different types of programmes. Of course in that time the subscription base, and therefore potential audience, has increased. The competition has also increased. Indeed, the competition has appeared within the last 8 years.

So what does all this mean? Despite the types of programmes they put out, it makes no odds to the audience in terms of viewership.

Despite all of this, I passionately believe in quality prime time programming. As do many others on these forums. It appears the great Adam Boulton agrees:

What would you like to do before your career ends?

I think there is a lot of room for improvement in Sky News prime time programming. We’re the best at covering the news but it’s a big challenge to take on the main terrestrial TV bulletins.

#17577 Reply

Steven
    Participant

the program would idealiy look like this

10.30- headlines

10.46- BREAK

10.50- sport

10.56- BREAK

11.00- headlines from news wall

11.05- business live from bloomburg

11.10- weather

11.15- BREAK

11.19- top stories

11.20- showbiz

11.29- most strange story of the day

Well theres a fresh and original idea. Perhaps they should think about putting something like that on at say . . I don’t know . . . 5. You could give it some whacky rhyming name as a title. You know something like Five Live or Live at Five. Oh wait . . . hang on a second . . . *penny drops*

#17578 Reply

Easty
    Participant

I think that there should be a whole new line up from 8.

8:00 pm – Sky News Live with Chris Roberts and Juilette Foster

8:30pm – Polotics Today – Live Polotics news from Milbank with Adam Boulton or Peter Spencer

9:00pm – Sky News Live with Juillette Foster (solo) – From a new studio. This will make it stand out from its Sky in the day. The Studio should be a dark blue with skys traditional red.

9:30 – Business Today – With David Foster Live from a studio overlooking Canary Wharf.

10:00 – Sky News at Ten – a basic rerun of Sky News at 9

10:30 – Sky News Review – Like Newsnight. – Presented from the Sky News Rooms with Chris Roberts.

11:00 – 12 Sky in Depth Day Review. – Similar to BBC 4 News – with Juilette Foster and Chris Roberts. Same correspndants with the same stories, but more in depth.

Sky News at 9 and 10 to be ran with new graphics – with the pole camera over the gallery . New dramatic theme tune!

#17579 Reply

Steven
    Participant

8:30pm – Polotics Today – Live Polotics news from Milbank with Adam Boulton or Peter Spencer

There was some talk a while ago (late last year) of a programme fronted by Adam Boulton from Millbank.

#17580 Reply

Easty
    Participant

what hapenned to 3D?

#17581 Reply

Steven
    Participant

what hapenned to 3D?

That disappeared when the war started, as did Littlejohn. It, unlike Littlejohn, never returned. Good. It was pants.

#17582 Reply

Easty
    Participant

I liked it! 2 of them were good looking. Slightly against murddoch, but do you think Littlejohn stayed because he represents Murdochs views and promotes the Sun?

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 34 total)
Reply To: Ideal Sky News Line Up
Your information: