ITN News Channel on Freeview

Forums Forums TV Newsroom ITN News Channel on Freeview

This topic contains 4 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  Glenn 12 years, 10 months ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

hamishnewhouse
    Participant
    #19723 Reply

hamishnewhouse
    Participant

Just wondering if anyone knows why ITN News has been taken off Freeview? Not that I’ll miss it, but its really annoying that there’s a gaping hole between SKY News (Channel 42) and News 24 (channel 40).

Answeres on a postcard.

#19724 Reply

AJ
    Participant

It’s because of the coming launch of ITV3 on freeview. There isn’t enough room on ITV’s part of the platform at the moment, so one channel has to be dropped – in this case ITV News.

AFAIK they’re performing engineering upgrades so that the compression of channels is done differently and so that they can fit ITV News and ITV3. Until that is complete then there will be no ITV News.

The engineering work has been completed in London (after all, who else matters :rolleyes: ), so ITV News will be continuing there. When the engineering work is finished, then apparently ITV News will be able to carry regional news too.

#19725 Reply

phaedrusuk
    Participant

AJ+Oct 18 2004, 10:08 AM–>(AJ @ Oct 18 2004, 10:08 AM)
    The engineering work has been completed in London (after all, who else matters :rolleyes: ), so ITV News will be continuing there. When the engineering work is finished, then apparently ITV News will be able to carry regional news too.

Which may well explain why for about 2 weeks, my Freeview box completely lost ITV1 , ITV2 but NOT ITV News… in London area ? And it’s all back now.

I know my box (Hauppauge DEC2000 combo TV/PC connections) has difficulty receiving channels that are not “64AQ” (ful channel bandwidth – e.g. it cannot get vidoe (only audio) for BBC Parliaament which is transmitted quarter-bandwidth (16 AQ ?). (But there is a software fix I can try to select the video channel and get the audip – yet to try.

I feared I’d lost the ITV1/2/ITVNews channels if they were being “multiplexed into less than a full channel” each – but they’re back OK now, including ITV News – which is not worth receiving – it’s worst of BBC/Sky/ITV if you ask me.

No doubt, you’re really interested in whether I will get ITV3… on my box if it can cope!

In hope… Cheers, Phaedrus,
    P.S. But will ITV3 be worth waiting for… ???

#19726 Reply

Glenn
    Participant

My mum’s got ITV News on her Freeview here in the Meridian region, so I’m guessing the channel will be back on a region-by-region basis asap.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
Reply To: ITN News Channel on Freeview
Your information: