ITV News Channel

Forums Forums TV Newsroom ITV News Channel

This topic contains 12 replies, has 8 voices, and was last updated by  AJ 13 years, 4 months ago.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author

Easty
    Participant
    #17867 Reply

Easty
    Participant

I have neverreally watched the ITV News Channel for a while and still believe it to be like the ITN news channel. However, since Mannion took it over it is looking much improved.

They have tried to make a Sky News Today programme with Alastair Stewart. Fair enough, it is rubbish because I don’t like Alastairs rambling style.

In the afternoon – Mary Nightingale and Mark Austin anchor from 3 until 4. This was good because they took it very lightly and obiviously think them selves above the news channel. This is obivious when Mary Nightingale jsut walked off set at the end of a news wall presentation – even though the camera was still on her.

However, ITV is still rubbish, but ir is improving – what do you think ?

#17868 Reply

fishcakes
    Participant

I’ll have to trust you on this one, Easty.

I’m a SkyNews lad through and through!

#17869 Reply

Easty
    Participant

I’ll have to trust you on this one, Easty.

I’m a SkyNews lad through and through!

ITV is no where near as good as Sky – possibly to do with budgets

#17870 Reply

Tellyguru
    Participant

I am a huge Sky fan but I do think the ITV news channel beats SKY on some areas. For example, the SKY videowall looks tired compared to the ITV News channel and gradually when there’s a major breaking story ANYWHERE in the UK then ITV will get to it quicker and be more on top of it that SKY. Also I think ITV1’s correspondents are much better than SKY’s. : Robert Moore is better than Ian Woods or Emma Hurd, Bill Neely is excellent as is multi award winner John Irvine, James Mates, Penny marshall e.t.c… they’re much more rounded correspondents.

SKY does win when it comes to resourcing major stories… however, it has to be said when it comes to viewers and not anoraks “do the viewers really care? they want to see news, sport, business that they can digest in an easy way… and they don’t care if one channel is quicker with breaking news than another.

#17871 Reply

bbriscoe
    Participant

Tellyguru,

You can’t possibly compare Sky News with the news on ITV1, they’re a completely different ball game. Sky News is rolling and breaking news, whereas the ITV1 news is a bulletin. They have time to prepare for the evening or lunchtime slots and can better rehearse and investigate, and the reporters will ‘seem’ a lot more on the ball.

Sky News is all about breaking news and when it comes to this, Sky do it best. Breaking and rolling news is basically what 24 hour news channels are about and this is why Sky beats BBC News twenty-bore and the ITV news channel. And lets face it, its not even ITV, its ITN!

The newswall does not look tired by any accounts…at least it’s actually there! The entire ITV news set is just a circular green room! Sky is live, its real and you really feel that you are immersed in the news. You really get the impression you’re part of the newsroom. ITV’s just fake! The presenters must feel like complete idiots talking to a big green wall!

Just my two pennies worth!

Ben

#17872 Reply

Pete19
    Participant

Tellyguru,

And lets face it, its not even ITV, its ITN!

Ben

Around 70% of ITN is actually owned by ITV plc.

That was one of the main reason’s five went with Sky and never re-newed their contract with ITN!

And I tend to agree with Tellyguru! Sky need to pick up the pace a bit!

#17873 Reply

bbriscoe
    Participant

Pete19,

I actually work for ITV and I can tell you that they do not own 70% of ITN…its a lot less than that. Whatever the figures, they are still a seperate company. The point I was trying to make was that Sky News makes Sky News (that includes Sky / BSkyB), the BBC makes BBC News, however a lot of ITV’s news is made by ITN but just decorated with the ITV identity. They are seperate companies.

I think five went with Sky because they made them a better deal! They also already use Sky News for the overnight news and it was another extension of this contract.

The main problem with Sky is that they were at one time incredibly innovative in their coverage, and for a long time they were unchallenged so they always looked very exciting and original. However now with so many news channels and the like it is becoming increasingly difficult to introduce new and exciting things. I do hope that virtual reality news sets are not the way forward…they do look crap!

I imagine we’ll be in for a few surprises in innovation etc. when Sky News gets it’s new building!

Ben

#17874 Reply

NEWSBOY2
    Participant

Well the presenters would look even bigger idiots if they couldn’t be bothered to keep up the visual pretence. I think the major flaw of the ITV News studio is that there is no news room behind it so it lacks atmosphere and fusion. Comple virtual studios are somewhat a werid idea as most graphics can be imposed onto anything.

You get the impression of empytiness and distance which you don?t get either on Sky or News 24.

#17875 Reply

Easty
    Participant

I can’t wait till they try and upload new software to the ITV News set – and it all goes wrong! That would mean they would be stood in fromnt of a dull green board

#17876 Reply

Forum Member
    Participant

At the moment ITV plc owns 40% of ITN (before the Granada-Carlton merger, Granada owned 20%, and Carlton owned 20%).

#17877 Reply

Pete19
    Participant

OK, what I should have said is that ITV plc are the majority shareholders in ITN.

And if Clive Jones (Director ITV News Group) gets his way, ITV plc will be 100% owner. ITV plc are already in talks to buy the Daily Mail’s 20% and Reuters 20% (according to the Guardian).

#17878 Reply

AJ
    Participant

five went to Sky News for their news coverage because Sky offered them a deal which five just couldn’t refuse, and one that ITN couldn’t possibly afford to provide at such a low cost

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
Reply To: ITV News Channel
Your information: