James Rubin – World News Tonight

Forums Forums TV Newsroom James Rubin – World News Tonight

This topic contains 57 replies, has 24 voices, and was last updated by  Johnnie 11 years, 11 months ago.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 58 total)
  • Author

squareeyes
    Participant
    #27662 Reply

squareeyes
    Participant

Oh dear. It really doesn’t work does it? and just one thousand viewers on Tuesday night apparently! Just shows you can’t just turn ANYONE into a presenter!

And although the relaunch is on the whole very good…one other thing which doesn’t work is…the elongated “press preview” at 2330…quite painful to watch.

#27663 Reply

Forum Member
    Participant

Yep, hate to say it but James makes me want to go to sleep. Keeping an open mind though – maybe he’ll improve……..

#27664 Reply

Moxey
    Participant

Must be the worst presenter Sky have got

& to think they got rid of Vivien Creegor as well

The bloke is awful

#27665 Reply

HBox
    Participant

I’m affraid to say he isn’t as good as I was hoping he could be. Shame, because this could be a really good show for Sky News.

#27666 Reply

Moxey
    Participant

It would be a good show with a change of presenter

#27667 Reply

jonn0boy
    Participant

Paula Middlehurst MUST have this show!!!!

James unfortunately has not brought the best analysis to sky from his days as a Clinton official, I hate to say!

#27668 Reply

Mr Byrne
    Participant

I don’t know what you people find wrong with James Rubin – is it because he’s American?

I for one think he is a very professional presenter. He knows his stuff and he asks the right questions. I’m sure he has some good contacts as well. He’s very intelligent I find the show overall hery informative and comprehensive. Sky needed a World News programmes and they’ve picked the best presneter for the job in my opinion.

Afterall, the other presnter you have suggested, Paula Midlehurst, with all do respect, what experience does she have of World politics?

James Rubin is very professional. Why don’t reseve your negative judements for a while and let the idea of a World news programe sink in. Perhaps its the change you don’t like?

#27669 Reply

jonn0boy
    Participant

Mr. Byrne,

the audience rates reflect what each and everyone of us are saying.

Paula I am sure, if she wanted to, could know a huge amount of knowledge on world news (remember Mr. Byrne) WORLD NEWS not world politics.

James Rubin is American, I have no problem with that, I have a problem with the fact his presenting style is as boring and dull even if it is profound.

Paula has qualifications in Journalism, I doubt James Rubin has a Broadcast Journalism diploma or the equivalent.

We will see how long he lasts until a replacement comes.

It is not negative judgement. And as I was told in another thread, Sky News is the best in the World so we rightfully expect a great presenter on a great show.
    And I also think my criticism is just.

The show is great, James is a problem.

#27670 Reply

calciofan
    Participant

He’s really good, I like him!

I know he’s a bit slow and stumbles a little bit, but give him time.

#27671 Reply

guvnorgaz
    Participant

hes awful,plain and simple,do we need an american view on our news?

#27672 Reply

squareeyes
    Participant

Well I certainly have no problem with him being American….the point I am trying to make is that he may have the biggest political brain in the world….he may have been an advisor to Clinton…he may be married to CNN’s Christiane Amampour…but that doesn’t mean he can read an autocue without looking terrified…which i’m afraid is exactly how he looks at the moment.

But….it might be worth remembering that news god Jeremy Thompson had a similar petrified look about him when he was brought back from Washington…and look at HIM now!…so there’s hope for Mr Rubin yet!

#27673 Reply

jonn0boy
    Participant

I just can’t see him pulling it off.
    He isn’t cut for it.
    It is not that he is American and I dont like wrongful accusations being thrown! he is just utterly tragic, in every sense of the word.
    I hope he gets better, but I cant see it.
    It is a great programme, but James is just not very good at doing it.

#27674 Reply

guvnorgaz
    Participant

i wasnt havin a go at him for being american,just that we dont need an american view on our news,if u watch cbs news when its on sky during the night they never mention britain unless it involves the americans and yet all we seem to worry about are the yanks and their opinions

#27675 Reply

squareeyes
    Participant

“The Yanks” as you call them are the worlds only super power…therefore thieir views are important to us all. In particular, a former advisor to the “Yanks” President should have a fascinating insight, BUT, he isn’t a good presenter YET…but with only one thousand viewers…the Murdoch empire will be looking for improvements FAST.

As for CBS…they do in fact have quite a few stories from Britain…considering we are a small island off of the coast of Europe…I think we do pretty well…at the risk of getting off topic, the most interesting thing about the CBS Evening News is why do they have that little ‘ol man presenting it?…he’s not exactly Huw Edwards is he?

#27676 Reply

Robbbo
    Participant

What an awful programme. In my opinion, Sky have made a big mistake with this show/ presenter!

#27677 Reply

dirkyt
    Participant

I can’t say I’ve taken to “Jamie” either.

I am tempted to point towards Tim Marshall as an excellent presenter for this slot…yet he is equally as good as an on scene correspondent (even though his title is foreign affairs editor) He’d also have the background and knowledge to do the job justice.

#27678 Reply

guvnorgaz
    Participant

im gettin tired of him always findin a way of mentioning he was a clinton employee and then laughing smuggly.as for america being the worlds only super power,they arent so super as they rely on the rest of the world to provide them with oil

#27679 Reply

Mr Byrne
    Participant

im gettin tired of him always findin a way of mentioning he was a clinton employee and then laughing smuggly.as for america being the worlds only super power,they arent so super as they rely on the rest of the world to provide them with oil

so, what you’re saying is – you don’t like him because he’s American? – right, well that kind of proves what I said in the beginning. I think its a little bit racist.

(by the way, america has huge oil reserves in response to your information on oil).

Getting back to this, I want to point this web-site out for you:

http://www.sky.com/skynews/article/0,,31100-13451622,00.html

Just a concise journalistic kind of CV for you.

As I said, I think he’s a great presenter, he knows his stuff, he asks the right questions. Long may World News Tonight continue.

And as for ratings, I don’t want to doubht the credability of Johnn0boy, but your figure that he’s only getting a thousand viewers, – would you care to post a like to where you got these figures from? I’d be very curious to see the figures as I’d say the guy got more than a thousand viewers in Ireland alone, lets see the figures you’re talking about and we can see how the other shows are doing too and how much of the market Sky was holding at that particular time. I’m always very interested in TV News ratings, do post a link and lets audit them

#27680 Reply

daved2424
    Participant

If there are 60 000 000 million people in the UK and the average person watches TV for 171 minutes per day and Sky News has an audience share of 0.53% then you can calculate that at any one time Sky News has on average 37 500 viewers.

“Sky News new morning show Sunrise, presented by… Eammon Holmes and Lorna Dunkley, increased its audience by 6000 viewers from the past four weeks to average 48 000 (2.06%)”.

Hope this helps.

Sources National Statistics Office and Broadcast

#27681 Reply

jonn0boy
    Participant

If you look further than your own ego Mr. Byrne, you will see I didnt post a specific figure, I took a figure from a previous post, I would assume it is correct, as there is no reason for someone to lie.

So before you get on your high horse, I suggest you read the whole thread!

#27682 Reply

jonn0boy
    Participant

And for extra clarification on the above statement i give you, audience ratings:

Enjoy,

http://www.media247.co.uk/skydigital/news.php

Thank you to Squareeyes!

#27683 Reply

calciofan
    Participant

media247+–>(media247)
    BBC News 24 ratings remain ahead of Sky News
    October 27 2005

Despite the new-look, Sky News is still behind BBC News 24 in terms of ratings.

Breakfast show, Sunrise, fronted by new presenter Eamonn Holmes and Lorna Dunkley saw a rise of 6,000 viewers on their predecessor.

At 7pm, The Sky Report with Julie Etchingham increased share by 15% and averaged 31,000 viewers.

Then at 8pm James Rubin’s World News Tonight increased share by 145% with 49,000 tuning in.

Overall, the pattern was the same as before the re-launch, with Sky beating News 24 in the morning, then the BBC’s station pulling away in the afternoon.

According to BBC figures, the reach for News 24 yesterday was 1.6 million – 200,000 more viewers than Sky News, which won 1.4 million.

Nick Pollard, head of Sky News, said: “We’re delighted to be on air from our new centre and have seen a terrific start to our new schedule. The feedback has been fantastic and the programmes are delivering strong content.”

media247+–>(media247)
    Viewers switch from Rubin’s new show
    October 28 2005

Sky News’ new show with James Rubin attracted just 1,000 viewers for half an hour on Tuesday night.

World News Tonight with James Rubin at 8pm is one of Sky News’ new shows as part of the revamped programme line-up.

On Tuesday night, the show averaged just 5,000 viewers across the hour from 8pm, and attracted only 1,000 between 8.15pm and 8.45pm.

On Tuesday evening, BBC News 24 was watched by an average of 22,750 viewers between 8pm and 9pm.

Overall, News 24 has averaged 39,500 viewers between in the hour from 8pm over the first three days of this week.

News 24 is also ahead in the hour from 7pm, when the BBC channel’s News 24 Tonight show is up against The Sky Report with Julie Etchingham – another new show.

So far this week, News 24 Tonight is averaging 80,250 viewers, while The Sky Report is on 32,250.

Overall, the pattern was the same as before the re-launch, with Sky beating News 24 in the morning, then the BBC’s station pulling away in the afternoon.

^ These figures don’t sound good!

#27684 Reply

guvnorgaz
    Participant

Mr Byrne+Oct 28 2005, 10:24 PM–>(Mr Byrne @ Oct 28 2005, 10:24 PM)

so, what you’re saying is – you don’t like him because he’s American? – right, well that kind of proves what I said in the beginning. I think its a little bit racist.

(by the way, america has huge oil reserves in response to your information on oil).

Getting back to this, I want to point this web-site out for you:

http://www.sky.com/skynews/article/0,,31100-13451622,00.html

Just a concise journalistic kind of CV for you.

As I said, I think he’s a great presenter, he knows his stuff, he asks the right questions. Long may World News Tonight continue.

And as for ratings, I don’t want to doubht the credability of Johnn0boy, but your figure that he’s only getting a thousand viewers, – would you care to post a like to where you got these figures from? I’d be very curious to see the figures as I’d say the guy got more than a thousand viewers in Ireland alone, lets see the figures you’re talking about and we can see how the other shows are doing too and how much of the market Sky was holding at that particular time. I’m always very interested in TV News ratings, do post a link and lets audit them

I dont see British presenters working on American news channels to give a British perspective of American news and the reason for that is the Americans dont care what we think about their news and we dont care about the opinion of this guy Rubin.I want to hear the news,not the opinion of some American.

And on your point about oil reserves,the Americans dont have as much oil as they make out otherwise they wouldnt be looking to start wars with every Arab nation.They will be up for invading Iran next as they have oil,just like Iraq,North Korea are pushing ahead with its nuclear program just like the Iranians but the Americans wont be bothering with them as they dont sit on huge oil reserves.

#27685 Reply

squareeyes
    Participant

Mr Byrne+Oct 28 2005, 10:24 PM–>(Mr Byrne @ Oct 28 2005, 10:24 PM)
    but your figure that he’s only getting a thousand viewers, – would you care to post where you got these figures from?

I think in Ireland we could probably name the viewers….Mr O’Toole in Galway, Mrs Flynn in Kilkenny and the Gilhooley Family in Dublin. …It would probably be better if Sky just sent them a tape of the show.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 58 total)
Reply To: James Rubin – World News Tonight
Your information: