Jeff Stelling

Forums Forums TV Newsroom Jeff Stelling

This topic contains 3 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  SMIFFY 11 years, 11 months ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

bouncebackability
    Participant
    #25871 Reply

bouncebackability
    Participant

According to the forums on http://www.tvforum.co.uk, the latest rumours at Sky suggest Jeff Stelling will be presenting Monday Night Football, along with Gillette Soccer Saturday/Special, in the new season.

During last season there was also talk of the BBC poaching Jeff to front their rip off of Soccer Saturday (Score Interactive) instead of the awful Ray Stubbs. Obviously Sky are desperate to hang on to him as he is Soccer Saturday, plus he has a great unique style. So it makes sense to me that they are providing even more insentive to stay.

If he does do MNF what will that mean to Ian Payne? He’ll be left with the Carling Cup, England U-21’s & the 5.15pm Premiership matches on Sky.

#25872 Reply

kelvintan15
    Participant

The Media Guardian website reported this (Jeff Stelling presenting MNF) last Saturday, 9 Jul 2005. It added this was done to fend off approaches from ITV.

Ian Payne might have to present Sky Sports News a bit more as well. He usually does this on Friday nights, though not last night.

#25873 Reply

SMIFFY
    Participant

From Media Guardian
    ITV stopped from stealing Stelling

It’s not just the players who are the subject of swirling transfer rumour and innuendo in the depths of the close season. Jeff Stelling, the Sky Sports presenter who has made Gillette Soccer Saturday essential viewing, has been fending off approaches from ITV for much of the summer.

According to insiders, the network wanted to add Stelling to its roster of football presenters for the Champions League, with an eye to him becoming its “face of football” for next year’s World Cup. But Matt Smith and Gabby Logan can rest easy, for Stelling has decided instead to sign a new deal with Sky that will see him add Monday Night Football to his Saturday afternoon activities.

I’m really glad he hasn’t gone, because he IS the Saturday afternoon, if you cannot make a match. A big decision though, as presenting the World Cup and Champions League infront of a much bigger audience must have been tempting. I think Jeff is one of the best presenters on the box and hopefully he will remain at Sky for a long time to come!

On the other hand, I think this may mark the end of Payne at Sky. He was drafted in to ease the work load for Keys after Sky won the CL rights. Never one of my favourite presenters and reading between the lines, I think his bosses have been a tad disappointed with him.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
Reply To: Jeff Stelling
Your information:

Add New Topic Login Register