John Peel has died

Forums Forums TV Newsroom John Peel has died

This topic contains 4 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  the_king 13 years ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

kev667
    Participant
    #19843 Reply

kev667
    Participant

This is so terribly sad. He was such an inspiration & devoted.. honest, decent and seriously funny, funny man. He died suddenly after a massive heart attack on holiday in Peru, with his wife Sheila.

I loved him too & there will be a missing piece to my life now. Home Truths on Radio4 was compulsory listening. Rest in Peace, John.

Paul Gambuccini has just said he was responsible for creating more music careers & listened to more individual records and strands of music than any other man in the western world. There was also a time where JP was listening to Liverpool win the European Cup just before his Radio1 show was due to start and David Jensen found him in floods of tears, lying on the floor listening to Radio2 commentary of it.. Jensen had to start Peel’s show for him, as he was too overcome. His contribution to our social fabric is inestimable, IMO. A real legend.

The only record ever to be played on Radio1 back-to-back was Teenage Kicks.. as John liked it so much.. he just did it. How cool.

Kev.
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio4/hometruths/aboutjohn.shtml
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio1

#19844 Reply

Forum Member
    Participant

I believe he also used to give the up and coming bands half his wage to get them on the road to success. His wife apparently said she don’t why he bothered ‘cos they were spending it on booze etc.
    I will miss him. It’s a sad day and my thoughts are with his loved ones.

#19845 Reply

Alloneword
    Participant

Very shocked to hear about this today, RIP

#19846 Reply

the_king
    Participant

RIP John, you will be sadly missed.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
Reply To: John Peel has died
Your information: