Margaret Hassan

Forums Forums TV Newsroom Margaret Hassan

This topic contains 34 replies, has 10 voices, and was last updated by  eagleeye 12 years, 10 months ago.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 35 total)
  • Author

Johnnie
    Keymaster
    #19735 Reply

Johnnie
    Keymaster

Al-Jazeera have showed a new video of hostage Margaret Hassan, in which she urges UK troops to pull out of Iraq.

#19736 Reply

Tanya
    Participant

This is the worst situation that could happen for Tony Blair. While she is begging for her life and for UK troops to pull out from Iraq, he is sending even more troops further in and playing Bush’s “puppet” again!
    Based on previous hostage situations, I’m afraid to even think how this one will end up.
    ________
    Tanya

#19737 Reply

eagleeye
    Participant

Spanish news showed the video clip. I’m still not at all sure whether it’s a good idea. It was very distressing, awful but that’s not why, nor am I in favour of any censorship. It’s just that the terrorists wanted it shown globally for their agenda…and hey presto, news eds everywhere run it. Did Sky News?

#19738 Reply

Tanya
    Participant

…yes, Sky News showed the video clip too (I think pretty much all TV news stations did).
    ________
    Tanya

#19739 Reply

eagleeye
    Participant

What do others think about that? Do you think it would make any difference to the kidnappers’ behaviour if they got no media attention or would it make them go for even more spectacularly dreadful acts that the media wouldn’t ignore.

I guess also if one channel shows it, the others feel they have to too. Tough call.

#19740 Reply

DDP
    Participant

SKY are showing it twice an hour, the BBC aren’t showing the video or sound, just a single still.

There’s something about this one though that seems a little strange. Can’t really put my finger on it <_<

#19741 Reply

Johnnie
    Keymaster

Last night’s CBS only showed a still image from the video.

#19742 Reply

Abby
    Participant

I think Eagleeye is probably very correct in saying that by showing the clip of Margaret Hassan, it is huge publicity for her captors. If the kidnappers had no publicity, the act of kidnapping someone would be quite futile.

Here in the Middle East, it is quite unusual to have crime against women. I am hoping the scandal and disgrace caused by the kidnapping of Margaret will help to get her released shortly. I really can’t see how they would murder her. However, these people don’t have any humanity or compassion.

A friend told me yesterday that, purely by accident, he walked into a room when the Al Jazeera TV station was showing the beheading of the first kidnap victim. (The act itself was horrific, and took some minutes. It wasn’t an instant death for the poor man. Too awful to give details.) He was horrified and has been very distressed ever since. It is hard to imagine such barbarism.

We live in terrible times. Our politicians must accept some of the blame for the state of the world today.

#19743 Reply

eagleeye
    Participant

Well done to the BBC and CBS. Yes, Abby, and we must bear some responsibility for what the media show and don’t show; or write or don’t write. They give us what they think we want, what will ‘sell’.
    I am not a fan of Al Jazeera’s although they have some very brave journos and cameramen working for them. There is no way they should show anything like that – what does it say though about their viewers? However, I stand to be corrected, but I’ll bet they don’t have a reporter in Dafur, showing the many thousands of muslims being massacred there – “live” on TV.
    What is this?! Some kind of macabre “Reality TV”?

I hope you are right Abby about Margaret Hassan being spared. However I have read that quite a number of Iraqi women have been killed by these terrorists; one for example was an interpreter caught in the road by men in a smart car. She ran for her life but was cornered. An elderly man tried to shield her from their guns but to no avail.
    You’re right. The terrorists have had a short circuit of what remained of their compassion or humanity.

#19744 Reply

Lee Smith
    Participant

The Woman was born in the EIRE (Republic of Ireland) and is married to an Iraqi, so what does this have to do with the U.K.? Ireland (Eire) is a republic and has nothing to do with us.

She is also married as I said to an Iraqi and lived there over 25 years so, she is an iraqi also.

Again we have to bail out people. :angry:

#19745 Reply

Abby
    Participant

Lee, Why does her ethnic origin matter so much to you?

I believe that Margaret Hassan was born in Dublin and moved to the UK at the age of 5. I think one of her parents was British, not that that should matter. If she chose to have dual British/Iraqi nationality, that’s her business.

She has spent much of her adult life doing good for her fellow human beings. She, and her family, need our prayers and support. Watching the Sky report from Dublin, they are hoping and praying for her release in Ireland. There is no mention of the fact that she changed her nationality from Irish to British. The people just want to see this lady returned to her family, and freedom.

#19746 Reply

Lee Smith
    Participant

Abby+–>(Abby)

You mentioned ethnic origin, don’t try turning this into a racial argument, I made my point pretty clear, you obviously skipped the part about her not being from the United Kingdom.

If she was born n bred here, pays her community charge and taxes here, then yeah I would be 100% behind it.

#19747 Reply

Abby
    Participant

Lee, if you check back to your post you will see that I wasn’t the one to bring up her nationality.

#19748 Reply

Newsroom
    Participant

She holds an Irish passport, an Iraqi passport and a United Kingdom passport….what Abby stated above is correct.

Lee, Margarat Hassein has saved lives of Iraqi people that would not have been hurt only for the devilish acts of puppy-boy Tony Blair and Bush.
    I’m sure she paid her taxes while she lived in the U.K.

#19749 Reply

eagleeye
    Participant

I don’t believe what I’m reading here. Or maybe I do, sadly.

#19750 Reply

Lee Smith
    Participant

Abby+Oct 25 2004, 04:37 PM–>(Abby @ Oct 25 2004, 04:37 PM)
    Lee, if you check back to your post you will see that I wasn’t the one to bring up her nationality.

Abby+–>(Abby)

What you stated.

It don’t b.t.w.

Seems to bother you. Seems that when someone like myself holds a different point-of-view, you draw out the race card.

Well ‘dah’ it would not be highlighted so much on bskyb news nor 507 and 525 if she didn’t have a connection with this part of the World.

I don’t get it, I am not the only one that feels the same way, my favourite radio host Charles Wolf and plenty of people that phoned in felt this way also, even though I thought this before he mentioned it the other evening/morning.

2006+–>(2006)
    Thats when it will happen

:ph34r:

#19751 Reply

Mr Byrne
    Participant

Sorry to jump into this forum, I didn’t read it all, so i’m uninformed of what you’ve been talking about.

But I caught one of the first messages saying that BBC and CBS didn’t show the Hassan footage – that is very fair and balanced isn’t it?

Remember in the Iraq war where everyone was showing Iraqi POW’s, didn’t even blur their faces, then when the Iraqi’s capture americans, its against the Geneva convention and FOX or Faux News didn’t show them nopr did a lot of American news agencies.

#19752 Reply

Mr Byrne
    Participant

ohh and as regards this:

“The Woman was born in the EIRE (Republic of Ireland) and is married to an Iraqi, so what does this have to do with the U.K.? Ireland (Eire) is a republic and has nothing to do with us.”

– Of course its to do with you if she she has dual Iraqi-Britsh citizenship but not as much as you think.

The Girl has an Irish passport? And according to a mmber of parialiment over here that knows her, she is Irish and her family live in dublin.

Her husband told the Independent that he wanted Brtian to back-off, that he’s been telling everyone that she was born in Ireland and she’s a natural Iraqi citizen.

Calling her Brtish, because she is clearly not even 50% British, that will not help her, that will in fact, KILL her. However calling her Irish is somewhat different. The Irish are related to by muslims. They’re seen as freedom fighters and the insuergency like to think of themselves as freedom fighters. Plus the fact that we saved countless muslims in the Lebenon, did not support the war on iraq officially and have sent so much aid to muslim countries. And as regards Palestine, we always vote for their cause in the UN, he publically support their cause – what I’m getting at here is that the insurgents have to beef with the Irish, calling Hassan a Brit, will only do harm to her, calling her Irish will help her.

#19753 Reply

Newsroom
    Participant

Hmmm I like the part “did not support Iraq officially”. Did we not allow Ameriacan planes to re-fuel in Shannon Airport then?

I’m Irish by the way.

#19754 Reply

Mr Byrne
    Participant

Irish? Are you? No way! All this time I’ve thought you were from Fiji! – It was obvious that you were Irish up to this point!

“did not support Iraq officially

– thats why I put in “officially” – but you know what I mean. These people are of very little intelligence, they wouldn’t know that we’re unofficially (and if Fine Gael get into power, which I hope they do, officially) supporting the “War-on-terror”.

And again, our policies as regards the palestinian situation are very pro-palestine. But you understand where I’m coming from. Keep calling her British, it’ll be the death of her. Calling her Irish, which she is, and Iraqi, which she is, – that could save her, I’m not saying it will, I don’t know forst hand what the scum-bags that are holding her are capable of.

#19755 Reply

Lee Smith
    Participant

Mr Byrne+Oct 31 2004, 11:19 AM–>(Mr Byrne @ Oct 31 2004, 11:19 AM)
    ohh and as regards this:

“The Woman was born in the EIRE (Republic of Ireland) and is married to an Iraqi, so what does this have to do with the U.K.? Ireland (Eire) is a republic and has nothing to do with us.”

– Of course its to do with you if she she has dual Iraqi-Britsh citizenship but not as much as you think.

The Girl has an Irish passport? And according to a mmber of parialiment over here that knows her, she is Irish and her family live in dublin.

Her husband told the Independent that he wanted Brtian to back-off, that he’s been telling everyone that she was born in Ireland and she’s a natural Iraqi citizen.

Calling her Brtish, because she is clearly not even 50% British, that will not help her, that will in fact, KILL her. However calling her Irish is somewhat different. The Irish are related to by muslims. They’re seen as freedom fighters and the insuergency like to think of themselves as freedom fighters. Plus the fact that we saved countless muslims in the Lebenon, did not support the war on iraq officially and have sent so much aid to muslim countries. And as regards Palestine, we always vote for their cause in the UN, he publically support their cause – what I’m getting at here is that the insurgents have to beef with the Irish, calling Hassan a Brit, will only do harm to her, calling her Irish will help her.

mmm since when was EIRE part of the UK or Britain?

#19756 Reply

Newsroom
    Participant

Personally I think the Republic of Ireland would be a better place if we were part of the U.K ( like Scotland or like Northern Ireland).
    Regarding Ms.Hassein I hope she gets out she does have a much better chance of getting out if she claims she is both Irish and an Iraqi.

#19757 Reply

Mr Byrne
    Participant

“Personally I think the Republic of Ireland would be a better place if we were part of the U.K ( like Scotland or like Northern Ireland).”

– WHAT!!! Are you out of your mind? The Anglican assendency in the Republic of Ireland are happy to be a republic. What brought this on? As regards Northern Ireland, yeh, Britain can keep that, I don’t want no little provence that costs 6 billion pounds sterling in security every year and in which so many people are on the doll and whose greatest export is explosive devices.

If your memory be as good as mine, you’d remember the Home Rule Party and the acts that were vetoed by the house of lords, with the outbreak of WWI it was scrapped and had home rule been given to Dublin, we probabley would be part of the UK!

But this is strange. I’ve never heard any extreme right-wing Conservative old fashioned Englsihman say anything like that, and you are Irish (correct?), so what brought that on?

Besides the point that Ireland could never be peacefully part of the UK. Ireland is a celtic country, different race of people completely, like chechnya in Russia, it’ll never work, different race, it doesn’t work.

So obviously the Celtic Tiger hasn’t benefited you and you have an agenda. Then again, sinn f?in get all their votes from the Working-Class. The upper class and Anglicans don’t want to be part of the UK, I don’t think I have ever heard any discussion about bringing Ireland back into the UK EVER. This is a first! – So I’m guessing that, seen as you said: “part of the U.K… like … Northern Ireland.” – Do you want to go back to the 1910’s and have a large scale War of Independence again and then after that another 1920’s style Civil War where everyone takes up arms and kills their borthers? – Are you insane or just anti-everything? or anti business? or are you extremely pro war and happy to reincarnate desperate and best forgotten attrocities in history?

Maybe it’s time free phychiatric treetment was provided… look maybe I got the wrong end of the stick here, it’s just that this seems very weird to me, something I wouldn’t expect to hear from nutcases in the Dundrum Mental Institution. – Maybe you could re-clarify what you said, make it more clear, I probabley missed something or maybe you did, re-clarify what you mean.

#19758 Reply

Newsroom
    Participant

no i don’t want that at all i just knew by posting it it would get on your tits! :rolleyes:

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 35 total)
Reply To: Margaret Hassan
Your information: