Missing Madeleine McCann – News Coverage

Forums Forums TV Newsroom Missing Madeleine McCann – News Coverage

This topic contains 47 replies, has 14 voices, and was last updated by  Forum Member 10 years, 3 months ago.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 48 total)
  • Author

saferkidzuk
    Participant
    #34529 Reply

saferkidzuk
    Participant

Hi Everyone I’m new here
    A news site reports man arrested and held in the Maddie case then yesterday it reports man is released.
    This is not reported where I can see anywhere else and notice the site sell’s pics and stories.
    Is the site making it up ?
    If so can anything be done about it?
    The report:
    http://www.functionpix.com/index.php/ar … ?#comments

#34530 Reply

Johnnie
    Keymaster

Julie Etchingham’s presenting Live at Five tonight. Jeremy Thompson is now is Portugal.

I think Anna’s emotional exhausted, she broke into tears during the 4pm hour.

#34531 Reply

guvnorgaz
    Participant

Kay is in Portugal presenting Sunrise this morning, thats why there was no Lunch time live yesterday, why they are suddenly going mad on this story a week after it all started is a wonder. Do they need to have all these presenters out there aswell as the reporters?On Thursday they hardly mentioned it, it was all Blair

#34532 Reply

OperaGhost
    Participant

Anna doesn’t look good this morning either….

According to the EPG, 10-12 this morning there is a special on the search of Madeline.

#34533 Reply

kaylover
    Participant

I did notice yesterday how emotional anna was getting, begging the audience for help. Missed her breaking down into tears though. She has been there a week now and it must be taking its toll.

Sky does have a very large presence there now. Andrew Wilson, Martin Brunt and that Blonde women. All reporting on it. Then Anna Botting, Kay Burley and Jeremy Thompson presenting.

This case reminds me of one in the US in 2004 i think. A teenage girl went missing in on the island of Aruba. Fox News were all over the story for weeks, speculating about nothing as till this day she is still missing and no body has been found. Sky run the risk of doing the same…

#34534 Reply

Johnnie
    Keymaster

Jayne Secker is also in the region, probably fronting Five News’ coverage.

I think we’re likely to see Kay on mornings, Anna on afternoons and JT on Live at Five and onwards.

EDIT: Jayne isn’t in Portugal. Sky had a map up earlier saying that she was..

#34535 Reply

guvnorgaz
    Participant

There is also Emma Hurd out there aswell

#34536 Reply

vicky23
    Participant

Did Anna actually cry? What happened?

#34537 Reply

guvnorgaz
    Participant

I think Sky News was a joke today, its been going on a week and they just decide to send out the ‘celebs’ to cover it, on Thursday it was Blair from 6am to midnight and the abduction story hardly got a mention. I cant see the point of making a big thing of it all of a sudden, its not like there has been any new information.And what was the purpose of Lorna popping up for an hour?

#34538 Reply

Johnnie
    Keymaster

guvnorgaz wrote:I think Sky News was a joke today, its been going on a week and they just decide to send out the ‘celebs’ to cover it, on Thursday it was Blair from 6am to midnight and the abduction story hardly got a mention. I cant see the point of making a big thing of it all of a sudden, its not like there has been any new information.And what was the purpose of Lorna popping up for an hour?

The reason the "heavyweights" went to Portugal just recently was because they were needed for Blair’s announcement.

ITV pretty much done the same thing in sending Mary and Geraint. Both Mary and Kay presented from Trimdon on Thursday and was in Portugal by Friday.

Many people are saying this story was hardly mentioned on Thursday, which isn’t really true. I remember Anna J and Martin covering this story in some detail – Anna Botting was also live from Portugal with Martin Brunt.

I do think 3 presenters in one location is a little OTT, But i think Sky’s coverage has been pretty good. It’s times like this you see how good or bad a presenter/reporter is.. Anna Botting is pure class.

#34539 Reply

guvnorgaz
    Participant

If another major story breaks on Sunday they will be out of Portugal like a shot and Maddy McCann wont get a mention.There is no need for them to be there, they can report on it from the studio, which they have been happy to do all week

#34540 Reply

OperaGhost
    Participant

Well, from 6am to about 6:25am this Sunday Sunrise, I’ve seen more news than in 8 hours of Sky yesterday [please note, I didn’t have it on for 8 hours constantly]

To be fair, I criticised Sky a lot for their coverage of the Murders in Suffolk, but yesterday, they just gave up the ghost in doing anything….although judging by Sky News Active, they did go to other news eventually…..

#34541 Reply

thegraphic
    Participant

guvnorgaz wrote:If another major story breaks on Sunday they will be out of Portugal like a shot and Maddy McCann wont get a mention.There is no need for them to be there, they can report on it from the studio, which they have been happy to do all week

and…that is the very nature of 24 hr news is it not?

Accept this fact or don’t watch it at all.

In defence of sky, they held back for as few days until the severity became clear. From what i remember Jane Hill was doing the first 15 mins from Portugal last weekend, whenthe story was not even 48 hours old.

#34542 Reply

guvnorgaz
    Participant

thegraphic wrote:

guvnorgaz wrote:If another major story breaks on Sunday they will be out of Portugal like a shot and Maddy McCann wont get a mention.There is no need for them to be there, they can report on it from the studio, which they have been happy to do all week

and…that is the very nature of 24 hr news is it not?

Accept this fact or don’t watch it at all.

In defence of sky, they held back for as few days until the severity became clear. From what i remember Jane Hill was doing the first 15 mins from Portugal last weekend, whenthe story was not even 48 hours old.

No, its to report on all news, not just the biggest story around and forget everything else, its not like they are having anything new to report on, apart from them going to church each day nothing is happening, so Sky has all the stars out there to tell us the same stuff they have been telling us since Tuesday of last week.When it comes to wasting money Sky News is the news channel of the year!

#34543 Reply

irxin
    Participant

for Christ sake stop moaning about Sky News wasting money – They give us the best News coverage and it does not cost us a penny.

Sky News should get paid some of the Billions that we telly tax payers are forced to pay for the BBC to keep sky news on Freeview and Virgin.

#34544 Reply

vicky23
    Participant

I think any coverage, in a situation like a child abduction is ESSENTIAL. Who cares if the so called SKY CELEBS are in portugal. If it means that more people watch and take notice then it is definitely a good thing. The last thing that anyone wants is for this story to be dropping off the news agenda.

A defenceless young child in out there somewhere, most possibly in the hands of some sicko paedo ring. I am willing to watch it 24/7 if it means that someone comes forward with some key evidence and Maddy is returned to her family.

Sorry for the rant, the whole situation is just so upsetting!

#34545 Reply

guvnorgaz
    Participant

irxin wrote:for Christ sake stop moaning about Sky News wasting money – They give us the best News coverage and it does not cost us a penny.

Sky News should get paid some of the Billions that we telly tax payers are forced to pay for the BBC to keep sky news on Freeview and Virgin.

Sky News is funded from viewers subscriptions and as a paying customer I have a right to moan.They spent a fortune on a new studio and yet the standard of the programs is no different to before.

#34546 Reply

guvnorgaz
    Participant

vicky23 wrote:I think any coverage, in a situation like a child abduction is ESSENTIAL. Who cares if the so called SKY CELEBS are in portugal. If it means that more people watch and take notice then it is definitely a good thing. The last thing that anyone wants is for this story to be dropping off the news agenda.

A defenceless young child in out there somewhere, most possibly in the hands of some sicko paedo ring. I am willing to watch it 24/7 if it means that someone comes forward with some key evidence and Maddy is returned to her family.

It needs coverage but not 40 minutes of every hour devoting to it, 50 people get killed in Iraq today but Sky think its more important to show the McCanns walking on a beach.You get Jeremy Thompson droning on about all thats happened over the past week, which we have heard constantly all week long, if they have nothing new to report then they should just let it lie until there is

#34547 Reply

vicky23
    Participant

guvnorgaz wrote:

vicky23 wrote:I think any coverage, in a situation like a child abduction is ESSENTIAL. Who cares if the so called SKY CELEBS are in portugal. If it means that more people watch and take notice then it is definitely a good thing. The last thing that anyone wants is for this story to be dropping off the news agenda.

It needs coverage but not 40 minutes of every hour devoting to it, 50 people get killed in Iraq today but Sky think its more important to show the McCanns walking on a beach.You get Jeremy Thompson droning on about all thats happened over the past week, which we have heard constantly all week long, if they have nothing new to report then they should just let it lie until there is

I disagree. There have been no new advances in the investigation but that does not mean that it should be reduced to 5 min reporting. The story has stolen the nations heart. I think that Sky are doing an excellent job and should continue to do so until this child is found.

Sky have also made me aware of the horrific numbers of children that are subjected to child trafficking every year. The figures are shocking.

I hope that the coverage that the story is being given encourages anybody that knows something to come forward.

#34548 Reply

guvnorgaz
    Participant

It is possible to have to much coverage, they risk making people turn off as they are sick of hearing about it 24/7.Its made worse by Thompson and Burley reporting on it, the 2 most boring people on the planet, thats enough to put many off.Sky News seem incapable of reporting on more than one story at a time.

#34549 Reply

thegraphic
    Participant

A lot of people take the mick out of the ‘sky celebs’, but I really like it. I think the fact that they can go out and stay out in portuagal or in some disater zone/war striken area is a very humbling thought. No longer is the traditional news presenter perceived as someone who sits behind a desk and moves his/her lips a bit – and that is thanks to sky.

#34550 Reply

vicky23
    Participant

thegraphic wrote:A lot of people take the mick out of the ‘sky celebs’, but I really like it. I think the fact that they can go out and stay out in portuagal or in some disater zone/war striken area is a very humbling thought. No longer is the traditional news presenter perceived as someone who sits behind a desk and moves his/her lips a bit – and that is thanks to sky.

Well said!

#34551 Reply

SSLuke
    Participant

they are doing it for ratings and with one eye on next year’s RTS awards ceremony. Blanket coverage like this is not healthy; no wonder Anna broke down last week. I just can’t imagine anybody at all sitting down and watching it.

#34552 Reply

guvnorgaz
    Participant

There is no need for them to be there, they have all those correspondents out there and they can question them from the studio just the same, its not needed. They gave all these celebs their own shows when they got the new studio, all flopped, that says it all. Lunchtime Live got people talking the other day, because it wasnt on and everyone preferred it

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 48 total)
Reply To: Missing Madeleine McCann – News Coverage
Your information: