"Never wrong for long"

Forums Forums TV Newsroom "Never wrong for long"

This topic contains 5 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by  calciofan 12 years, 1 month ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

Wiki Editor
    Participant
    #26048 Reply

themagicmonkey
    Participant

“Never wrong for long” is the BBC’s nickname for Sky News, I have heard often. How true it is. Throughout the last couple of weeks Sky has churned out the most irresponsible rubbish at each new breaking story. On July 7 there was a sniper at Canary Wharf. A bomb on a bus in Kensington. The army were even on the streets of Covent Garden – it turned out to be WWII veterans! I thought Sky was supposed to be a news channel, not an outlet for rumours and speculation that could cause panic at an already difficult time. People on these boards criticise BBC News 24 because it is “slow”. At least what it broadcasts is the truth and not a wild rumour for Burley to get all excited about.

#26049 Reply

Forum Member
    Participant

I tend to agree. While breaking the news is important, the news being broken must be at least partly true. In our office we have stopped watching Sky News and now stay with BBC. Its a shame because I believe Sky has better presenters.

#26050 Reply

dirkyt
    Participant

themagicmonkey+Jul 22 2005, 02:53 PM–>(themagicmonkey @ Jul 22 2005, 02:53 PM)
    “Never wrong for long” is the BBC’s nickname for Sky News, I have heard often. How true it is. Throughout the last couple of weeks Sky has churned out the most irresponsible rubbish at each new breaking story. On July 7 there was a sniper at Canary Wharf. A bomb on a bus in Kensington. The army were even on the streets of Covent Garden – it turned out to be WWII veterans! I thought Sky was supposed to be a news channel, not an outlet for rumours and speculation that could cause panic at an already difficult time. People on these boards criticise BBC News 24 because it is “slow”. At least what it broadcasts is the truth and not a wild rumour for Burley to get all excited about.

While I appreciate your point, I think that on a whole SKY is the first for breaking news. They are better than BBC News 24 in many respects, and I very much doubt that dear old auntie has not experienced similar experiences with a breaking story.

The presenters do a great job in not directly associating SKY News with a breaking story. Many come from agencies, and words like ‘allegedly’ are used in ALL cases when they are not 100% sure of its accuracy!

#26051 Reply

AJ
    Participant

One of the main reasons that you occasionally get barmy breaking news is because Sky’s policy is to tell viewers what they know as soon as they know it.

OK – they’re sometimes wrong with it, but surely that’s only a small price to pay for getting the story first?

#26052 Reply

calciofan
    Participant

dirkyt+Jul 22 2005, 02:53 PM–>(dirkyt @ Jul 22 2005, 02:53 PM)
    While I appreciate your point, I think that on a whole SKY is the first for breaking news.  They are better than BBC News 24 in many respects, and I very much doubt that dear old auntie has not experienced similar experiences with a breaking story. 

The presenters do a great job in not directly associating SKY News with a breaking story.  Many come from agencies, and words like ‘allegedly’ are used in ALL cases when they are not 100% sure of its accuracy!

AJ+Jul 23 2005, 07:50 PM–>(AJ @ Jul 23 2005, 07:50 PM)
    One of the main reasons that you occasionally get barmy breaking news is because Sky’s policy is to tell viewers what they know as soon as they know it.

OK – they’re sometimes wrong with it, but surely that’s only a small price to pay for getting the story first? 

Yes I can agree with both of those comments.

Sky News let the veiwers know what they now straight away – and also tell us who the source is. They tell us from where they’re getting the story, and what that agency is reporting… and Sky, when they get enough info, then confirm it.

The BBC take too long to break a story – but they also make mistakes when breaking a news story.

And as for ITV News Channel, well they copy what Sky do (most of the time!).

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
Reply To: "Never wrong for long"
Your information: