New Digital Free to Air Service

Discussion Forums Forums TV Newsroom New Digital Free to Air Service

This topic contains 4 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  daved2424 12 years, 1 month ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

eagleeye
    Participant
    #24973 Reply

eagleeye
    Participant

What’s the new digital free to air service that’s coming out soon (eg More4 is C4’s channel on it) which is clobbering BSkyB shares etc – and will it mean serious trouble for Sky News (Sky subs are expensive and the no of new subscribers isn’t pretty reading either…). I wondered if there was actually a chance that Sky News may go under?!!

Will the new digital service be UK only?

#24974 Reply

daved2424
    Participant

What are you talking about?

#24975 Reply

HBox
    Participant

eagleeye+May 13 2005, 08:22 PM–>(eagleeye @ May 13 2005, 08:22 PM)
    What’s the new digital free to air service that’s coming out soon (eg More4 is C4’s channel on it) which is clobbering BSkyB shares etc – and will it mean serious trouble for Sky News (Sky subs are expensive and the no of new subscribers isn’t pretty reading either…). I wondered if there was actually a chance that Sky News may go under?!!

Will the new digital service be UK only?

Your information is flawed.

The only ‘free-to-air’ digital tv that may be in the pipeline is a Sky equivilant that I’m aware of. And no, I seriously doubt that Sky News will go under. If Sky had any feeling that Sky News wasn’t likely to peform in the future then they wouldn’t invest millions in redeveloping the channel.

Sky News has been around for more than 15 years (a good deal longer than your brain I’m guessing) and isn’t showing any signs of going just yet.

Sky is nearing 8 million subscribers in the UK, and there is bound to be a slow down in the uptake with numerous other outlets available now. I doubt they are drastically worried though, Freeview isn’t exactly quality television and Sky still hold the monopoly on many sports.

#24976 Reply

daved2424
    Participant

Sky isn’t exactly quality television and Freeview is a huge threat, no matter how much the likes of James Murdoch and Dawn Airey deny it.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
Reply To: New Digital Free to Air Service
Your information:

Add New Topic Login Register