New Year on Sky News

Discussion Forums Forums TV Newsroom New Year on Sky News

This topic contains 17 replies, has 12 voices, and was last updated by  Newsrat 12 years, 6 months ago.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Author

Harry Hayfield
    Participant
    #21620 Reply

Harry Hayfield
    Participant

As well as asking the question “Which midnight would you most like to see on Sky News Active on New Year’s Eve?”, what other New Year Eve events would you like to see what might we see?

#21621 Reply

Mr Byrne
    Participant

I’d like toi see New year from dublin, so maybe I could see myself on the TV, but you didn’t have Dublin on the drop down menu.

#21622 Reply

tippguy
    Participant

degginetely dublin but since you dont have it there rio!

#21623 Reply

tippguy
    Participant

**deffinetely

#21624 Reply

rob237
    Participant

tippguy+Dec 11 2004, 10:58 PM–>(tippguy @ Dec 11 2004, 10:58 PM)
    **deffinetely

Have a third try……………..

#21625 Reply

MelbourneTV
    Participant

They’ll show Sydney, Tokyo or Hong Kong, SIngapore, India, Middle East, Moscow, highlights from Paris, Berlin, Madrid possibly, London & Glasgow of course, New York, LA. (SHOWN LIVE)

#21626 Reply

Forum Member
    Participant

Shown on Sky News UK simultaneously? That would be cool!

#21627 Reply

sir drinks alot
    Participant

me thinks thay will cover the same old Places.thay do every year

#21628 Reply

Abby
    Participant

I doubt if they will show the Middle East, unless Israel. The ME is Islamic and follows the Hegira not Gregorian calendar, so the New Year (as Christmas) is not celebrated in those countries.

#21629 Reply

daved2424
    Participant

Well to get an idea of how many places they are likely to visit, you can use what the studio is capable of. For example, the Sky News studio is only capable of having two-way satellite links with six places at once, without using another studio as a hub. If they do frequent crosses to the same places then there are less links they can make because it takes time to establish comms. But then they will probably go to different places at set times, instead of when something ‘happens’ so you don’t have to sit on the same link. You can get it up, do a cross, take it down, do another one.

#21630 Reply

Harry Hayfield
    Participant

daved2424+Dec 17 2004, 04:34 PM–>(daved2424 @ Dec 17 2004, 04:34 PM)
    Well to get an idea of how many places they are likely to visit, you can use what the studio is capable of. For example, the Sky News studio is only capable of having two-way satellite links with six places at once, without using another studio as a hub. If they do frequent crosses to the same places then there are less links they can make because it takes time to establish comms. But then they will probably go to different places at set times, instead of when something ‘happens’ so you don’t have to sit on the same link. You can get it up, do a cross, take it down, do another one.

Is that how Sky News Active works then? As I can remember on New Year’s Eve 2002, they had 4 cameras with live shots at the same time (11.00 – 11.15pm GMT)

#21631 Reply

daved2424
    Participant

In a way, but not quite. All circuits coming into Sky come in through a master control room. Once they are available here, they can be made instantly available in the studio, but only six at a time, the same with News Active. The difference lies when two-way comms are required, that is to say there’s a reporter there to talk to. If it’s just audio and video these can be brought up and taken down instantly. If 2W comms are required, sound need time to establish this. News Active obviously doesn’t need 2W comms, and in News it can be either. I hope that makes sense.

#21632 Reply

Neil in Budapest
    Participant

I’ll be in Kazakhstan

#21633 Reply

Mr Byrne
    Participant

I voted for midnight in Baghdad, Their capabilities for a firework display are second to none…. maybe second to Limerick (Stab) City!!! he he he he.

#21634 Reply

hamishnewhouse
    Participant

I did not see New Year on Sky News, anybody know what was shown, or did events in Asia rather divert Sky’s attention away from the celebrations, here in the UK?

#21635 Reply

Harry Hayfield
    Participant

hamishnewhouse+Jan 4 2005, 04:02 PM–>(hamishnewhouse @ Jan 4 2005, 04:02 PM)
    I did not see New Year on Sky News, anybody know what was shown, or did events in Asia rather divert Sky’s attention away from the celebrations, here in the UK?

That is precisely what happened, and I was most upset by it. Having had nothing but Asian Tidal Wave Disaster since Boxing Day, I really felt I needed cheering up and so put in my EPG Sky News at 1.00pm (Sydney), 3.00pm (Tokyo), 9.00pm (Moscow), 11.00pm (Berlin) and midnight (London) and guess what I got?

1.00pm Asian Tidal Wave Disaster
    3.00pm Asian Tidal Wave Disaster
    9.00pm Asian Tidal Wave Disaster

It got so predictable after that, that I got rid of all my Sky News EPG listings and watched EuroNews (as they seemed to be the only channel even showing the New Year). Roll on the election please and let’s have something different for a change

#21636 Reply

Newsrat
    Participant

Midnight & Sunrise with Simon McCoy, B) . in that order would be better :rolleyes: :

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
Reply To: New Year on Sky News
Your information:

Add New Topic Login Register