Nottingham Shooting

Discussion Forums Forums TV Newsroom Nottingham Shooting

This topic contains 8 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by  DDP 12 years, 8 months ago.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author

rob237
    Participant
    #19376 Reply

rob237
    Participant

“….had been to the Goose Fair, in the city centre….”

Nottingham Goose Fair is held nowhere near the city centre.

“…was taken to the nearby Queen’s Medical Centre…..”

St Ann’s to the QMC……..about 3 miles.

What other basically weak reporting are we getting on major issues, such as Iraq?

BTW: Would you permit your 14 year old daughter to be out at 00.30?

#19377 Reply

dodrade
    Participant

you’d be surprised at what a lot of parents let their children get up to. And I dont mean to racially stereotype, but I just knew when I first heard the story it would be a black girl who had been shot. It was rather depressing to be confirmed right in later bulletins.

#19378 Reply

Steven
    Participant

Rob I’m guessing that you are from Nottingham or have lived there at some point. Certainlyyou appear to have some personal geographical knowledge of the area. However, you are talkinga bout a report that appeared on a NATIONAL news bulliten. Therefore, somebody in, lets say, Glasgow could have watched it. All of a sudden it doesn’t appear to be so inaccurate.

#19379 Reply

rob237
    Participant

dodrade+Oct 12 2004, 03:15 PM–>(dodrade @ Oct 12 2004, 03:15 PM)
    you’d be surprised at what a lot of parents let their children get up to. And I dont mean to racially stereotype, but I just knew when I first heard the story it would be a black girl who had been shot. It was rather depressing to be confirmed right in later bulletins.

The perpetrators (and the victims) of the ongoing spate of drug related Nottingham ‘drive by’ shootings are exclusively black.

Alll media reports carefully omit this fact.

More PC bollocks……………

#19380 Reply

rob237
    Participant

Steven+Oct 12 2004, 07:43 PM–>(Steven @ Oct 12 2004, 07:43 PM)
    Rob I’m guessing that you are from Nottingham or have lived there at some point.  Certainlyyou appear to have some personal geographical knowledge of the area.  However, you are talkinga bout a report that appeared on a NATIONAL news bulliten.  Therefore, somebody in, lets say, Glasgow could have watched it.  All of a sudden it doesn’t appear to be so inaccurate.

Whilst you have made seemingly fair comments, I can only agree with you up to a point.

I’d concede that it’s perhaps only when we have some knowledge of a subject, or locale, that we notice such erroneous offerings.
    As it invariably occurs whenever something I ‘know’ of is reported – and as I am also in training to be the next Victor Meldrew – I express concern for the veracity of reports upon which I have little or no ‘knowledge’.

In your Glasgow context, I recall registering all I was told at the time of the dreadful factory explosion, some weeks ago.
    Glaswegians may have noticed inaccuracies, but I was unable to do so.
    Therefore I become solely reliant upon the words of the reporter.
    Surely if it’s ‘National’ news even more attention to accuracy is demanded!

As the Nottingham item was the lead report throughout Sunday, and as the reporter was clearly in presence throughout the day. I’d consider that he had sufficient time to establish the accuracy of his comments delivered periodically to camera.
    My impression is that often a willingness to trot out the regular cliches [“tight knit community, etc”] is a preferred option to a thoughtfully composed piece.

By way of some mitigation, my impression was he was there as a Sunday locum for regular Midlands Correspondent David Crabtree? – who may well have had better local affinity.

#19381 Reply

Skybaby
    Participant

It is easy to point out minor flaws when a news item has happened in your backyard, so to speak. I live about a mile from the Queens Medical Centre (give or take), and would not describe St Anns as being nearby the QMC; but it would not take an ambulance very long to travel the distance – I reckon 15 minutes or even less – so “nearby” is perhaps correct in that context.

As for where Goose Fair is, that depends on your definition of “city centre”. If you take that literally, as in where all shops and offices etc are, then no, Goose Fair is not held in the city centre (although its original home was the Market Square!). It’s about a kilometre and a half away from there, which if you include inner-city areas as being city centre, then yes, you could get away with describing it as such. Perhaps “just out of central Nottingham” would have been better. Of course, if you really wanted to be pedantic, you would say that Goose Fair is held in the Forest Fields (sounds pretty: it isn’t) area of Nottingham on the Forest Recreation Ground, which is about a kilometre and a half from the city centre and borders the red light district (mention Forest Road to a Nottingham resident and they’ll know exactly what you’re on about).

But who would really give a damn about nitty-gritty like that? I wouldn’t expect that sort of detail on my local news let alone national or 24 hour services. The main focus of the story is the fact that a 14 year old girl was shot dead for no apparent reason. I live in Nottingham, therefore I know that the minor points highlighted about distance etc, are not totally correct – to me. If the incident had happened in Sheffield, I would not be rushing to look up a map of Sheffield to check whether or not a hospital was nearby the suburb in question. Does any one? At the end of the day, it’s irrelevant to the wider story.

Personally, I’m much more bothered at reports saying things like, “Nottingham is the gun capital of the country.” Yes, there’s a problem. Yes, it’s drugs related. Yes, the people involved are, for the most part, young black men. Yes, Nottinghamshire police are crap at “clearing up” (I can relate a story on that subject, but won’t do so here). You’d think that Nottingham is full of people running about willy-nilly beating each other up (Saturday night excepted, perhaps). In reality, gang-related crimes are limited to the St Anns, Meadows and to a lesser extent, Radford areas of the city. Things happen in other areas – the murder of Marion Bates last year in Arnold was a reminder that gun crime is not limited to the inner city – but on the whole Nottingham is not a bad place to live, despite what the statistics say. It’s like that “80% of crime is caused by 10% of people” thing.

As for whether Danielle should have been out at that time of night…personally, I wouldn’t have let a 14 year old be out that late, especially in that neck of the woods, even if she was with friends. But having once seen 10 year olds in Nottingham city centre on a Saturday night, that sort of thing doesn’t surprise me any more. It doesn’t mean that she was asking for it, though.

This wasn’t intended to be a rant :unsure: Sometimes I just start writing and it all comes tumbling out…

#19382 Reply

AnjaliWOW
    Participant

Skybaby+Oct 13 2004, 12:25 PM–>(Skybaby @ Oct 13 2004, 12:25 PM)

But who would really give a damn about nitty-gritty like that?  I wouldn’t expect that sort of detail on my local news let alone national or 24 hour services.  The main focus of the story is the fact that a 14 year old girl was shot dead for no apparent reason.  I live in Nottingham, therefore I know that the minor points highlighted about distance etc, are not totally correct – to me.  If the incident had happened in Sheffield, I would not be rushing to look up a map of Sheffield to check whether or not a hospital was nearby the suburb in question.  Does any one?  At the end of the day, it’s irrelevant to the wider story.

Well done Skybaby, perfect reply to a post that was going on about very insignificant information in relation to the actual main story, that of the very sad and cruel, cold blooded killing of a 14yr old girl.

#19383 Reply

DDP
    Participant

Can’t say I like going to Nottingham these days. I’ve felt safer in NYC at 0300, than in Notts at 1500.
    I live in Loughborough and that’s just crap because of the student population, but at least it’s not really violent. We had a drug dealer killed on his doorstep a few weeks back, but I really couldn’t have given a toss. Good riddance.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
Reply To: Nottingham Shooting
Your information:

Add New Topic Login Register