Oxford Tonight – NOT Thames Valley Tonight.

Forums Forums TV Newsroom Oxford Tonight – NOT Thames Valley Tonight.

This topic contains 4 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Forum Member 10 years, 4 months ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

busman12
    Participant
    #34836 Reply

busman12
    Participant

I miss the good old Meridian Tonight/News.

I live in Reading, and every night we had news in and around the out-skirts of Reading.

If there was a feature about something, the reporters would always be in Reading or Newbury.

What do we get now ? OXFORD OXFORD OXFORD !!

We were told that when Meridian Tonight was finishing, our news would be better for the Thames Valley – ha! Oxford they meant !

I know Central news merged to form TV Tonight/News , but nearly 100% of the news,features,reports are in or around Oxford. We even get abit of Hampshire and Wiltshire thrown in too.

Wesley gives you the creeps too doesn`t he.

Oxford Today, Oxford Tonight they should rename them.

#34837 Reply

Forum Member
    Participant

I had two strong reactions to busman12’s message.

1 As an Oxfordshire resident, I regularly hear people complain that the new Thames Valley service seems to be all about remote places like Basingstoke and Reading. Oxford gets a mention, but the rest of the county, particularly to the north of Oxford, gets little attention.

The change, adding part of the old Central South area to part of the Meridian area, has satisfied no-one except the accountants. I am not disagreeing with busman12, but merely pointing out that the enlarged area is bound to result in general feelings of neglect.

2 I was genuinely shocked at busman12’s comment about Wesley Smith. Wesley is hugely popular in the old Central South area and has been the regular presenter since the news service , based in Abingdon, was set up nearly 20 years ago. I cannot imagine anyone not responding to his warm and genuine personality. He even seems to have begun to thaw out the rather icy female co-presenter he has been saddled with. The occasions when he is reunited with Hannah, his old sidekick from Central South, are still a delight to watch. (If criticisms are being made, wherever did they find that dreadful weather presenter?)

#34838 Reply

busman12
    Participant

DRL wrote:(If criticisms are being made, wherever did they find that dreadful weather presenter?)

If you mean Simon Parkin, he is surely NOT a proper weather-man, only a weather presenter.

I remember back in the 90`s, he was a presenter on Childrens BBC around the time of Andy Peters & Philip Schofield.

God only knows how he became a weather presenter.

Its funny how these people suddenly re-appear doing different jobs, only the other day i was flicking through the BBC regional channels and spotted Gordon Burns (The Krypton Factor host) presenting the 6.30 regional news up north.

#34839 Reply

Forum Member
    Participant

busman12 wrote:If you mean Simon Parkin, he is surely NOT a proper weather-man, only a weather presenter.

Exactly! I chose my words carefully. I didn’t know anything about his background; I’d never been lucky (!) enought to see him before. What a difference when he is off and his place is taken by Martyn Davies, a real weather-man, normally seen after the ITV National News.

Simon Parkin appears to have been told, at some stage in his career, that he is amusing!

Incidentally I haven’t voted in busman12’s poll, since it doesn’t really apply to me. However I would certainly say that T Valley Tonight is much worse than Central News South. I wonder how viewers in the other parts of the old Central South News area have found the changes. I think one part of the area was added to the Bristol region and another was connected to Birmingham. I imagine that they have found it equally unsatisfatory, though I could be wrong. However I’m sure this was all done for reasons of economy rather than for any improvements in the overall service.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
Reply To: Oxford Tonight – NOT Thames Valley Tonight.
Your information: