PC Sharon Beshenivsky's funeral Coverage

Forums Forums TV Newsroom PC Sharon Beshenivsky's funeral Coverage

This topic contains 11 replies, has 10 voices, and was last updated by  DDP 11 years, 9 months ago.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author

sky_news_nut
    Participant
    #28828 Reply

sky_news_nut
    Participant

Hi,

I saw today that most of Lunchtime Live was taken up by the live coverage of Pc Sharon Beshenivsky’s funeral at Bradford Cathedral. Obviously this was a particularly tragic story which shocked the nation, but was it really in propper “taste” for Sky to show the entire funeral on their news channel?

For most people watching, they would have never known her, never met her, and only heard of her becuase of the terrible way she lost her life. Personally I do not think it was in propper taste to show the church service on television, it should have been left to the people who were there: eg family, friends, colleagues, and the people of Bradford who she served. It should not have been used as some sort of television show.

I note bbc News 24 only showed the procession through the streets, but not the service.

What do other people think?

#28829 Reply

sky.dub
    Participant

Obviously the family deemed it ok to televise the funeral, so therefore it’s ok.

#28830 Reply

Damian
    Participant

I didnt think it was nessacary to show it. It would be ok if it was shown on active or something and just show on Sky News it self, stuff like what News 24 done.

#28831 Reply

alfie
    Participant

hang her killers,now thats what i would like to see on the telly.

#28832 Reply

lakewood
    Participant

I guess there speaks the average Sky news viewer – another reason why I stopped watching Sky news

#28833 Reply

alfie
    Participant

a life for a life,seems fair to me.we will run out of scum long before we run out of the likes of pc beshenivsky.and being a german jew living in england i can hardly be accused of racism now can i.

#28834 Reply

Hullo
    Participant

Surely the point is that this case is sub judice. Watching a funeral like this on TV (and the same is true of the memorial parade in Liverpool a few months ago) can’t help but influence potential jury members.
    I don’t belive Sky decided to leave PMQs – which is vital for a news channel – on Active while they put out the funeral live. Bad judgement.

#28835 Reply

SSLuke
    Participant

alfie+Jan 15 2006, 10:02 PM–>(alfie @ Jan 15 2006, 10:02 PM)
    a life for a life,seems fair to me.we will run out of scum long before we run out of the likes of pc beshenivsky.and being a german jew living in england i can hardly be accused of racism now can i.

if you seriously desire watching a live murder on TV – i suggest you seek immediate psychiatric help.

#28836 Reply

AJ
    Participant

Sky obviously gained the rights to screen the funeral from the family who must have decided that this was ok (whether money was an influence or not)

Therefore there are no ethical issues with screening it. If you don’t like it, switch it off.

#28837 Reply

Stevo
    Participant

AJ+Jan 18 2006, 01:46 PM–>(AJ @ Jan 18 2006, 01:46 PM)
    Therefore there are no ethical issues with screening it. If you don’t like it, switch it off.

Exactly! That’s what free choice is all about these days. There’s more than one news channel and plenty of other general TV channels to watch. So I don’t see what the problem is with it myself. It was a newsworthy event and Sky News decided to cover it live. People may have different views about it, but I don’t think it was unethical.

#28838 Reply

DDP
    Participant

If it had been a father of multiple children who had been on the job a matter of months the media would have barely raised an eyelid. Another double standard of an hysterical media organisation such as SKY News.

I don’t recall the murder of two Leicestershire Police officers (both with a family) getting similar coverage a few years back, or any outrage from any news organisations that the killer was handed a manslaughter sentence and will more than likely be out in seven years. A sentence I further add, he is appealing against.

SKY News are obsessed with single story coverage. Who cares about how well they can cover something when they should really question their amount of time given to a story (re: the whale, George Best, POL tank explosion. etc etc) and it’s relevence. There is far too much emphasis on ‘breaking news’. Who cares if David Cameron has left his house to vote in a leadership election? Does that kind of crap really warrant breaking into anything? period? The news channels are all trying to outdo each other by reporting on the most pedantic of details before each other regardless of their informational value and relevence :rolleyes:

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
Reply To: PC Sharon Beshenivsky's funeral Coverage
Your information: