Peter Sharp is back in Iraq

Forums Forums TV Newsroom Peter Sharp is back in Iraq

This topic contains 11 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  Mr Byrne 12 years, 10 months ago.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author

Johnnie
    Keymaster
    #19889 Reply

Johnnie
    Keymaster

Peter Sharp is back in Iraq tonight, he is based in Barsa. Didn’t catch what he said, they cut away for Breaking News…

#19890 Reply

eagleeye
    Participant

Bet Peter was “pleased” about that! Always ‘great’ to be in a hotspot and London decides to move on to ‘breaking news’ just when you’re ready…(Bush burps or something was it?!) I wish him all the best and a safe trip. Can someone keep me informed on what he’s reporting about pls? Thank you.

There’s no point in sending anyone to Baghdad as I’ve said before, as they can’t work as a journalist there. I hope he has some freedom of movement, albeit unavoidably with the British Army in tow, so that his trip into Iraq’s worth it?

#19891 Reply

Forum Member
    Participant

Yes Peter is back in Iraq along with Jonah Hull (producer) and Richie Vale (camera) they are following the Black Watch as they head up north.

#19892 Reply

Mr Byrne
    Participant

Yes, he’s been there a few days now. Still, I don’t think he’s as good a correspondant as David Chater but he takes risks.

By the way, I agree with that person who says that Sky don’t need a correspondant in Baghdad, because FOX have one, and we can go LIVE to him anytime its needed. – Like it was done last week.

#19893 Reply

eagleeye
    Participant

Is Sky’s policy now to send correspondents in to the south and to report on the British army’s movements and areas under their control?

Last time David Chater went in – like Peter Sharp – with the Brit troops in Basra, moved up north into a more scary area and ended up in Baghdad, filed one report under that monument of the crossed swords (what’s it called?) and went home; hopefully Peter S will do likewise.
    I do feel for him, having to risk his neck while the focus is 99.9999% on the US elections. Hope they are paying him well!

A thought occurs about Sky News and their very few reporters who are willing to face these kind of extreme, intense challenges – Chater and Sharp are both in their 50s and are light years ahead of anyone else at Sky when it comes to this kind of reporting, particularly David who’s a one off. Sky have Stuart Ramsay who’s done a bit of the nasty stuff & v well; Andrew Wilson did but doesn’t now; Keith Graves is even older; David Bowden always looks like he’d rather be having multiple root canal treatment; Emma Hurd’s the only younger reporter and she’s loving Jerusalem by the look of it – Sky in 10 years time is going to have WHO doing this kind of reporting?! I just don’t see the younger ones who can do it, sorry.

#19894 Reply

Johnnie
    Keymaster

I think you are quite wrong EE, I think there are many brave reporters at Sky that would love to report from Iraq and many already have: Gary Honeyford, Paul Brennan, Mike McCarthy, Ross Appleyard, just to name a few..

I think Sky would rather send a correspondent than a reporter.

I was told about a year ago, that the reporter Volunteers to go to Iraq and then the team picks who they want.
    So i really don’t think people like Peter or David are forced into going to Iraq (but then you may know something I don’t)

EDIT: DC is also in IRAQ

#19895 Reply

Mr Byrne
    Participant

Gary Honeyford? LOL. Thats a good one! – besides he’s getting a bit old too.

I for one think Sky should hire Peter Arnett, if he still isn’t doing anything. He’s old but he’s been a credited combat journalist since Vietnam.

I thini when the time comes, they will hire younger journalists that would be willing to take risks. Emma Hurd can’t be in Jususalem forever and didn’t someone here say that Ramsy is coming out of Africa? He seems willing tot ake risks and he’s been in iraq before if memory serves me well.

But as for:

Gary Honeyford – I don’t think so.
    Paul Brennan- I don’t think so.
    Mike McCarthy- I don’t think so.
    Ross Appleyard -I don’t think so.

Other people I think are capable of taking risks: Tim Marshall (He felt safe riding on a Noprthern Alliance tank) Lisa Holland and maybe, just maybe in the future, alex rossi.

#19896 Reply

eagleeye
    Participant

Hoo haa, can I clarify what I meant (although I do think it’s clear…?) First of all, I certainly didn’t mean anyone was ‘getting old’. 40s and 50s ‘old’?! No way! No substitute for experience – the great ones are all ‘older’.
    Nor did I mean that anyone was forced to do it. I’m not having a go at anyone.

Has anyone younger than mentioned above (30-something say) volunteered to go into the badlands and been turned down, do you know?
    And is Peter Sharp still in Iraq?

#19897 Reply

philg
    Participant

I think Peter still is, not certain. DC is definately in Fallujah. Or was last night anyway. Strange to have them both in there at the same time.

#19898 Reply

Mr Byrne
    Participant

I count Sky News having at least 5 correspondants in Iraq/Kuwait during the actual war but they’re covering different aspects of the war, DC is in in good time, thats good, you need to get there early so when the S*** hits the fan, you get the exclusive. – I can see some valuable reporting coming out of Fallujah within the next month if DC decides to stay for the fireworks.

#19899 Reply

Mr Byrne
    Participant

Oh, I didn’t realise that s hit is a bad word. I wasn’t using it in a bad way, I was merely quoting that famnous phrase “s-hit hits the fan” – just to clarify it in case you got offended.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
Reply To: Peter Sharp is back in Iraq
Your information: