Piers Morgan Steps Down

Forums Forums TV Newsroom Piers Morgan Steps Down

This topic contains 11 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  Steven 13 years, 5 months ago.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author

Johnnie
    Keymaster
    #17041 Reply

Johnnie
    Keymaster

JT and Lisa Aziz have just broke news that Piers Morgan editor of the Daily Mirror has stepped Down.

#17042 Reply

Johnnie
    Keymaster

The Daily Mirror published in good faith photographs which it absolutely believed were genuine images of British soldiers abusing an Iraqi prisoner.

However there is now sufficient evidence to suggest that these pictures are fakes and that the Daily Mirror has been the subject of a calculated and malicious hoax.

The Daily Mirror therefore apologises unreservedly for publishing the pictures and deeply regrets the reputational damage done to the QLR and the Army in Iraq.

The paper will continue to cooperate fully with the investigation.

The board of Trinity Mirror has decided that it would be inappropriate for Piers Morgan to continue in his role as editor of the Daily Mirror and he will therefore be stepping down with immediate effect

#17043 Reply

Steven
    Participant

So Sky are billing this as a resignation, News 24 are bodly claiming Piers was SACKED. Interesting that Sky should be more reserved than News 24. Clearly, he was sacked.

It was ineviatable that this would happen, and quite right to. Of course the Mirror and Piers have had to contend with the Naomi thing recently, which hasn’t helped Piers.

I think the argument that even ‘if the photos were fake they represented what was really happening’ was an atrocious postion to take, and for that alone he deserved to go.

#17044 Reply

Johnnie
    Keymaster

Chris and Viv came on air at 8pm. Chris said in the openers “Piers Sacked” So they are now reporting he was SACKED.

#17045 Reply

Steven
    Participant

Yes I noticed. Wonder if that was in response to News 24. Do people, in the midst of a breaking story actually follow the rivals to see how they are doing it?

#17046 Reply

kev667
    Participant

Just my luck I was out when it broke.. missed all the gossip, but caught a bit of trevor kavanagh having a strange interview. hmm. I do quite like Piers Moron.. well, his paper anyway.. it gave people a kick up the arse (royals..) and the establishment clearly didnt like him. ..it was probably inevitable – but even i cant defend it.. u cant go round stirring it up like that. But I think we’ll probably find this will be thought of as a Gilligan-esque moment.. he got the thrust of the story right, but his evidence for it didnt stack up.

There will be more abuse claims.. there was today and one of these fabled ‘investigations’ will find that someone in the care of (jail) queens lanc regiment was beaten to death – so we know they’re capable of it.. his evidence was just the wrong stuff. And I am very interested to know why the photos were taken and who by. I’m sure its not a simple explanation and I wouldnt believe the official line for any money!

Oh – and before anyone falls asleep reading this.. Anyone see the newspaper review on News24 last nite? I missed Sky’s, but it was Michael White He’s fantastic, did I tell you they were discussing Sven Goran Ericsson on there a while ago – White said the he should feel lucky to have a job here and that swedes in general should be grateful they’re not speaking russian. I did laugh. But last nite they didnt have the morning’s edition of the mirror, so he couldnt see what piers’ latest rubbish was.. the bbc man said ‘well, we have got a quote from him today – he’s said the govt need to prove these photos are false’ …michael just looked at the bbc man in amazement for a second and said, ‘that boy’s going to get strung up one day..’ Any other favourite newspaper reviewers.. was there a topic on this a while ago?

#17047 Reply

Newsroom
    Participant

i like topaz doing the newspaper review

#17048 Reply

eagleeye
    Participant

Yes I noticed. Wnder if that was in response to News 24. Do people, in the midst of a breakking story, actually follow the rivals to see how they are doing it?

Yes and they probably run it by their lawyers too to see what they can say. I really do hesitate to mention the tragedy of Sky’s James Forlong again, but it makes you wonder why he was such a sacrificial lamb when ‘faking it’ seems quite commonplace in the media.

Somehow I think Mr Morgan will land on his feet.

#17049 Reply

Steven
    Participant

I really do hesitate to mention the tragedy of Sky’s James Forlong again, but it makes you wonder why he was such a sacrificial lamb when ‘faking it’ seems quite commonplace in the media.

Somehow I think Mr Morgan will land on his feet.

Absolutely, it makes what James did look very superficial, doesn’t it?

I think it is quite possible Piers Morgan may even be better off as a result of this. He’s already got some of his fingers in other media pies.

#17050 Reply

Steven
    Participant

the

#17051 Reply

Steven
    Participant

I was briefly reading the Mirror editorial today (I wouldn’t normally touch the paper). It was plastered over the front page and pages 4 and 5. It was almost an unequivocal apology. Almost I say. About half way through, after saying how they got it wrong, they started with the ‘it represents a reality’ argument, which, as I’ve said before, is a shambles of an excuse. Then they march on into an attack on the Government.

Just as the Government turned its considerable firepower on the BBC when Dr David Kelly died, so it has done the same to the Mirror over the allegations of abuse.

It is not an honourable way to behave and is leading to growing disenchantment among the British people.

On pages 4 and 5 the dominating story however was about the lack of WMD, complete with a WMD-ometer – highlighting the number of days it has been that no WMD have been discovered. It almost demands that others apologise, as the Mirror has done, for their misleading antics.

Now the Daily Mirror has apologised, how long will it take before others own up to their mistakes? We will continue to question and probe. Our readers would accept nothing less.

How can they be so righteous? They clearly don’t regret, for the right reasons at least, the publication of those photos. To my mind they seem intent on an agenda of attacking, and possibly bringing down, the Government at whatever cost.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
Reply To: Piers Morgan Steps Down
Your information: