Politics Thread

Discussion Forums Forums TV Newsroom Politics Thread

This topic contains 10 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by  eagleeye 13 years, 3 months ago.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author

pixi
    Participant
    #14027 Reply

pixi
    Participant

The Conservative Party has pulled out of the Butler inquiry into intelligence on Iraq’s weapons of mass destruction.  
    Michael Howard said Lord Butler’s interpretation of the inquiry’s terms of reference were “unacceptably restrictive”.  

But the Tory leader was accused of “shameless opportunism” by Jack Straw.  

The foreign secretary said: “Mr Howard chooses to jump on a passing bandwagon and to flirt with those opposed to the war to win cheap political points.”

do the conservatives stand any chance of winning the next election?

#14028 Reply

Johnnie
    Keymaster

Michael Howard is no better then IDS.

Michael always seems to have egg on his face and i would imagine deep down Michael is very frustrated that Tony and the Labour Government seems to be getting away with everything. In which should have been Michael’s best week and Blair’s’ worst week back in the week of the Hutton Report and the vote on Student ‘top up’ fees it turns out to be the other way around with Labour winning on Top up fee’s and completely escaping any blame from the Hutton report. Michael had no ammunition on PMQ’s or when discussing the Hutton Report on wednesday afternoon.

BUT there is some bad news for the Labour Gov today.

The UUP party and leader David Trimble has pulled out of the Good Friday agreement review.

The Ulster Unionist Party has withdrawn from the Good Friday Agreement review over Sinn Fein’s continuing participation in the talks amid alleged IRA activity.

#14029 Reply

Hello
    Participant

pixi wrote:

do the conservatives stand any chance of winning the next election?

No, they don’t. They haven’t changed from when they were voted out of power in 1997.

#14030 Reply

Steven
    Participant

Yes Michael Howard really does seem to have missed the opportunities. I firmly believe that the failings of this country and government in recent years has been as a result of a lack of credible opposition rather that just the inadequacies of the ruling party.

#14031 Reply

Easty
    Participant

Personlly I dislike Howard as a person. He is slimy and arragont. However, if the public still distrust Blair come the elections I think there is every chance Howard will be PM

#14032 Reply

Steven
    Participant

arragont

Sorry you use that to refer to Michael Howard. However, Tony Blair has the track record in arrogance.

#14033 Reply

Easty
    Participant

Blair can disguise it better though

#14034 Reply

Steven
    Participant

Blair can disguise it better though

Really? Like when he had that outstanding victory on University top up fees?

#14035 Reply

Easty
    Participant

Yeah – that infuriated me! Howard looks arragont all the time! Blair just sometimes

#14036 Reply

eagleeye
    Participant

Howard has a chance because people appear to believe what they read in the Tory papers, especially on Europe, Brussels’ supposed endgame to rule Brittania, the supposed ‘deluge of immigrants from the new EU countries’ etc etc. There’s no chance of some federal European superstate as anyone who has lived in any EU country knows. All far too individualistic and nationalistic and no-one wants that. It comes down to who British people trust and for some reason, Blair is less trusted than Howard…at the moment anyhow.

The electorate has short memories…the Tories supported the war on Iraq. They were shown the same “dodgy” intelligence and didn’t question it. Howard also said that things would improve in Iraq after Saddam’s capture – quite a daft remark in the circumstances.

Howard’s been working very hard to remove what Ann Widdicombe called the “something of the night about him”. But I dislike him, not just because I could never vote Tory and think Eurosceptics are on another planet, but because as a human being he denies his origins. If Britain had had the immigration policies it has now and would have under his ‘govt’ if they take office, Howard might not be alive. His parents were jewish romanian refugees were they not?

I sometimes watch PM’s question time. He’s bright, but not as bright as Hague. However from their exchanges, he and Blair seem to get on pretty well. All politicians are arrogant, self serving b**tards, aren’t they?! Ever met a modest, humble, ethical & altruistic one ?

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
Reply To: Politics Thread
Your information:

Add New Topic Login Register