Politics

Forums Forums TV Newsroom Politics

This topic contains 6 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Stevo 13 years, 7 months ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

MelbourneTV
    Participant
    #14794 Reply

MelbourneTV
    Participant

Just trying to do some history on the Empire, does Wales have its own Parliament like Scotland and Northern Ireland?

What can the Scottish and Northern Ireland Parliaments make laws on?

#14795 Reply

Stevo
    Participant

Just trying to do some history on the Empire, does Wales have its own Parliament like Scotland and Northern Ireland?

Should just point out that Northern Ireland doesn’t have it’s own Parliament as such anymore. It does however have an elected assembly, (a local legislative council basically), although that is currently suspended due to politcal disputes within Northern Ireland. So Northern Ireland at the moment is governed from Westminster in London by the UK parliament. Which is the way things have been since the Stormont Parliament in Northern Ireland was dissolved in 1972 and direct rule from London introduced because of the “troubles”.

In answer to your query, I believe Wales only has an elected assembly to legislate for local matters (not tax raising) much like what Northern Ireland had until the recent suspension. There is no full blown Welsh parliament, as yet.

#14796 Reply

MelbourneTV
    Participant

Should just point out that Northern Ireland doesn’t have it’s own Parliament as such anymore. It does however have an elected assembly, (a local legislative council basically), although that is currently suspended due to politcal disputes within Northern Ireland. So Northern Ireland at the moment is governed from Westminster in London by the UK parliament. Which is the way things have been since the Stormont Parliament in Northern Ireland was dissolved in 1972 and direct rule from London introduced because of the “troubles”.

In answer to your query, I believe Wales only has an elected assembly to legislate for local matters (not tax raising) much like what Northern Ireland had until the recent suspension. There is no full blown Welsh parliament, as yet.

Ahh ok thanks. So I imagine, drawing some wide connclusions here that Great Britain is slowly moving to a federal style system of Government, IE Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland would in affect be “states”? Similar to the US and Australia?

From what I can gather, it sounds like Wales is similar to the Australian Capital Territory (Canberra) in its way of government.

For me its alot more confusing that the Australian system, mainly because there isnt really all that much history here compared to the UK… with all the ancient civilisations and all.

#14797 Reply

eagleeye
    Participant

I think that for full federal autonomy, you’d need to have local control of your economy (including tax collection/budget/spending), education, health, transport, culture, environment etc – with London controlling only defence and foreign affairs. Long way from that; and that’s still a long way from full independence.

What’s the feeling in Wales – and maybe Scotland – these days re wanting to be a fully sovereign state affiliated (presumably) to the EU? I mean in principle as it isn’t going to happen anytime soon.

You now have to learn Welsh don’t you in Welsh schools, but are they financed from London or from Wales? What do you all feel about the possible fragmentation of the UK?!

#14798 Reply

MelbourneTV
    Participant

I think that for full federal autonomy, you’d need to have local control of your economy (including tax collection/budget/spending), education, health, transport, culture, environment etc – with London controlling only defence and foreign affairs.  Long way from that; and that’s still a long way from full independence.

Well the states here dont even have full automony. If a State law clashes with a Commonwealth one the national law overrides it.

States can raise taxes but the C’wealth Govt does most of it. Education, and Health according to the Constitution are state matters, but cos the states are dodgey and cheap they get the C’wealth to fund it too.

The Commonwealth’s main areas to make laws are:

immigration, currency, international affairs, defence, external treaties, taxation, marriage/divorce rules.

So say if Northern Ireland, Wales and Scotland got similar powers as the Aust. States, would England also get a state Parliament in affect too?

BTW, is the House of Lords still unelected???

#14799 Reply

Stevo
    Participant

So say if Northern Ireland, Wales and Scotland got similar powers as the Aust. States, would England also get a state Parliament in affect too?

It’s not a likely scenario in the immediate future.

BTW, is the House of Lords still unelected???

Yes, although the Labour Government in the UK has tried to change this, but currently The House of Lords is still an unelected body.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
Reply To: Politics
Your information: