Poppies back in bloom

Forums Forums TV Newsroom Poppies back in bloom

This topic contains 8 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  AnjaliWOW 12 years, 9 months ago.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author

rob237
    Participant
    #20003 Reply

rob237
    Participant

The TV News organisations have united in declaring their poppy wearing edicts even earlier this year.

Studio guests usually chose to be garlanded at a later, more appropriate, time.

We’ve had today’s various presenters wearing them on casual shirts, half way down the jacket, and even [GMTV of course] using it to highlight a cleavage

Am I alone in considering that this premature adornment of the respected symbol has more than a hint of gross insincerity about it?

#20004 Reply

skywatcher
    Participant

If you have a complaint about the start of the use of the poppy on screen then i guess you take it up with the Poppy appeal organisation.

For MP’s / TV etc all to start using it on the same day tells you something

#20005 Reply

Steven
    Participant

Seriously have a think about what you are saying man. Does it really matter if the there is any sense of insincerity in the wearing of poppies? Would it matter if they were being worn all year round?
    You really need to ask yourself for what reason are they being worn at all – then perhaps you’ll feel a little humble and maybe consider your post a little pathetic in the grand scheme of things.
    Oh and it is less than 2 weeks away now – is that really any earlier than in previous years?

#20006 Reply

rob237
    Participant

Both responses to my original post miss the point that I am making.

Firstly, I appreciate the importance and significance of the poppy primarily, as a 20 year old, I fought [and lost many friends] with the Commonwealth forces in Korea……..the ‘real’ Vietnam!

Secondly, I remarked upon the modern day trend for the TV people to wear the poppy en masse as if their executive had deemed it compulsory.

Finally, not unlike fireworks and Xmas – the ‘gesture’ comes earlier by the year.
    Thereby, IMO, reducing it’s ‘impact’.

My own poppy is worn five days before Memorial Sunday and for five days after.
    But I’m not told by a superior to dress up……………..

#20007 Reply

Steven
    Participant

rob237+Nov 2 2004, 01:36 PM–>(rob237 @ Nov 2 2004, 01:36 PM)
    Both responses to my original post miss the point that I am making.
    Secondly, I remarked upon the modern day trend for the TV people to wear the poppy en masse as if their executive had deemed it compulsory.
    Finally, not unlike fireworks and Xmas – the ‘gesture’ comes earlier by the year.
    But I’m not told by a superior to dress up……………..

Let me expand on my point further too:
    There is a generation that is growing up all the time that we’ll be made more aware of the sacrifices of so many as a result of TV personalities, presenters, journalists etc . . wearing poppies, regardless of whether they have been made to wear them or choose to of their own free will.
    And just like Christmas it is a myth that it gets earlier each year, 2 weeks, IMO, isn’t too early.

#20008 Reply

Easty
    Participant

How dare you insult the poopy appeal. Millions of people have fought and paid the ultimate price for this great nation. People liek you spit on their graves and it makes me sick.

#20009 Reply

Steven
    Participant

Easty+Nov 3 2004, 08:03 PM–>(Easty @ Nov 3 2004, 08:03 PM)
    How dare you insult the poopy appeal. Millions of people have fought and paid the ultimate price for this great nation. People liek you spit on their graves and it makes me sick.

???

#20010 Reply

AnjaliWOW
    Participant

Easty+Nov 3 2004, 07:03 PM–>(Easty @ Nov 3 2004, 07:03 PM)

?????????????????????????????????

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
Reply To: Poppies back in bloom
Your information: