Presenters sexuailty

Forums Forums TV Newsroom Presenters sexuailty

This topic contains 59 replies, has 15 voices, and was last updated by  Mr Byrne 12 years, 9 months ago.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 60 total)
  • Author

Steven
    Participant
    #21308 Reply

Steven
    Participant

Further to a discussion developing in another topic, do you think it is acceptable for us to discuss presenters sexuality?

I firmly believe that we don’t have that right to openly discuss it on these forums, and here is one argument:
    We shouldn’t discuss or speculate about presenters sexuality because the logical extension of any such discussion becomes whether you want to watch the news or a particular programme because the presenter(s) happens to be, or not to be, gay! When we start going down that route we are in real danger.

#21309 Reply

NEWSBOY2
    Participant

I doubt most people would go down that root, and if they did then its moronic. I don’t think the entire subject should be off limits just for the sake of it. In my opinion speculating about whether someone is gay is the same as wondering if they are married ? , have children ?, from a working class background ? etc.

You can’t go banning what-if ? type trivia. I don’t think anyone means it in a bad way, its just something people do when bored and curious. I’m not saying journalists who are gay end up being role models or anything like that, but knowing they exist makes others of the same sexuality feel less underepresented.

And representation in journalism is a whole other debate in itself.

#21310 Reply

Tanya
    Participant

NEWSBOY2+Nov 24 2004, 12:20 PM–>(NEWSBOY2 @ Nov 24 2004, 12:20 PM)
    In my opinion speculating about whether someone is gay is the same as wondering if they are married ? , have children ?, from a working class background ? etc.

I’m kind of surprised with your opinion! As far as I recall your speculations about which presenter might be gay, were already on this forum, but I never heard you asked, which presenter might be married and have kids!

Being gay or straight should be irrelevant already nowadays and not the topic on this forum all the time!
    When I say, that their private life doesn’t concern any of us, I’m aiming on all presenters and reporters, regardless gay or straight. When speculations and guesses start, untrue and rubbish facts are usually written, which can offend and disturb some presenters.

I don’t understand, why it is so boring to stick with debates related to work on Sky, there is plenty of them. If you need an entertainment so badly, there is always lots of games under activities!
    _______
    Tanya

#21311 Reply

Skybaby
    Participant

Personally I find the current obsession some people have with other people’s sexuality bizzare. Not just on this forum, but in society as a whole. Are they in some way confused about their own orientation?

And it’s quite curious that as Steve said in another thread, these people who throw these queries around never seem to be able to give a justified answer as to why such things matter to them. Surely if you are that interested, you would contact the person concerned? No? Thought not.

In my opinion speculating about whether someone is gay is the same as wondering if they are married ? , have children ?, from a working class background ? etc.

In an ideal world, I’d agree with that. However, we don’t live in an ideal world. I don’t give a damn who is gay and who isn’t and who might be, and wouldn’t care if someone who I’ve never met and therefore didn’t know me had nothing better to do than to yak about my possible love life on a public forum, but there are plenty of other people who would be very offended. Although society is much more open than it used to be, I think that sexuality is still taboo in a way. It is something that goes over that line of wondering whether someone is married or lives in a certain area, and I think that it is best if such matters are left well alone.

#21312 Reply

NEWSBOY2
    Participant

Well ok I’m gay (lol) as a gay person (just speaking for myself) growing up because I wasn’t aware of any journalists who had a similar orientation to you, you do occasionally get paranoid and irrational and think that maybe they aren’t any, or maybe there some terrible class celling and hidden rule in place. I know its paranoid but until I actually came across journalists who were “out” you do become cynical and irrationally worried that it could stop you in your career, which I?m sure it has stopped people on occasions just like racism can, despite wanting to be optimistic how much society has changed, its always lurking at the back of your mind.

I?m not trying to justify speculation about those who aren?t, but speaking as a gay dude in my late teens, I think its a primary reason behind the speculation you sometimes get. Its not always about generally nosiness or homophobic intent. Its just someone wanting to know that actually there are gay journalists just like there?s black and female journalists, the only difference is that you might not be aware of them.

So there we go.

#21313 Reply

NEWSBOY2
    Participant

obviously i meant to me – not to “you”. sounding like the Chuckle brothers.

#21314 Reply

Mr Byrne
    Participant

Wow, this is a hot topic!!!

– But I agree with whoever speculated that that particular presenter may be gay.

However I do think it has a relevence in the society we live in today, I don’t think I should comment any further on the subject, you can guess my views from here, but if I’d continue, you’d think I’m racist, well I’m not, maybe a little right-wing though.

So, seeing that gay people

Well ok I’m gay (lol) as a gay person

– I don’t think you’d like my views on the topic!

But inally, I don’t discrimminate against gays, I am very happy they have civil rights, I don’t think that should be held against any gay person who wants to be a journalist but saying that, I am 100% against gay marriages.

#21315 Reply

Steven
    Participant

Mr Byrne+Nov 24 2004, 04:54 PM–>(Mr Byrne @ Nov 24 2004, 04:54 PM)
    Wow, this is a hot topic!!!

– But I agree with whoever speculated that that particular presenter may be gay.

However I do think it has a relevence in the society we live in today, I don’t think I should comment any further on the subject, you can guess my views from here, but if I’d continue, you’d think I’m racist, well I’m not, maybe a little right-wing though.

So, seeing that gay people

Well ok I’m gay (lol) as a gay person

– I don’t think you’d like my views on the topic!

But inally, I don’t discrimminate against gays, I am very happy they have civil rights, I don’t think that should be held against any gay person who wants to be a journalist but saying that, I am 100% against gay marriages.

If anybody can fathom this, please, please let me know.

#21316 Reply

Steven
    Participant

And a nod to NEWSBOY2, I was going to share my thoughts with you via PM but since you had the gall to express your comments publicly then I shall too.
    You have certainly presented a point of view that I hadn’t considered and perhaps have been able to influence my own point of view to a certain degree. In my defense I said this in the Steve Dixon topic: “Can I ask other people why they think it is acceptable that we can discuss this subject? Convince me I’m in the wrong and I’ll back down”

Alas though, my overall opinion remains the same: we shouldn’t speculate on presenters sexuality. Why? Because it allows moronic comments, may I take this opportunity to thank Mr Byrne for supporting my arguement. Surely NEWSBOY2 the kind of of stuff posted by Mr Byrne is not what you are looking for or happy to see?

#21317 Reply

Tellyguru
    Participant

Gay, straight, bi, a-sexual.
    Do you ask your postman if he’s gay?
    The woman in the local shop if she gets a regular shag?
    Do you ask your bus driver when he last had sex?

NO!!!!!

They all do jobs…
    They don’t need to reveal their business.
    Same with Steve Dixon.
    or Alan King.

#21318 Reply

Mr Byrne
    Participant

They all do jobs…
    They don’t need to reveal their business.
    Same with Steve Dixon.
    or Alan King.

coughs – are you indirectly saying that they’re gay? Because thats what it sounded like – had you put my name there, I’d have been angry.

and…

may I take this opportunity to thank Mr Byrne for supporting my arguement

– Ehh, no, I don’t think you understood what I was saying, I was agreeing with whoever said that that particular presenter seemed gay. I wasn’t agreeing with what you said. I don’t care if you want to discuss a presenters sexuality or not. Personally I don’t really understand why, and I think its ssssssssaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaddddddddddddd.

Kind of like the way I think its saaaaaaad that people fuss over celebrities and actors and singers and footballers and the rest of the riff-raff. – But I mean, these things, such as your “goregeous steve dixen” topic is just saaaad – he reads the news! – He’s not James Bond – whilst I do think its saaaaad that people fuss over the lives of James Bond actors, I can understand it, I cannot however understand why people want to fuss over the lives of news readers!?!?!?!?

Compliment them on doing a good interview or keeping a straight face after an eight hour shift, but going on about their gorgeous smiles and 12 armani shirts and rhubarb, I’d find that saaad but understandable if you were talking about a popular actor but I find in mentally disturbing why people would talk in that way about a news reader – no offence, so actually, I suppose in a way I’m agreeing with Steve but I don’t mind if you continue to talk about what Sky News Presenters eat for breakfast and what type of goldfish they have and what LYNX they use – I don’t mind, I find it funny – to laugh AT, but I do think its saad.

#21319 Reply

Steven
    Participant

Mr Byrne+Nov 24 2004, 10:35 PM–>(Mr Byrne @ Nov 24 2004, 10:35 PM)

may I take this opportunity to thank Mr Byrne for supporting my arguement

– Ehh, no, I don’t think you understood what I was saying, I was agreeing with whoever said that that particular presenter seemed gay. I wasn’t agreeing with what you said. I don’t care if you want to discuss a presenters sexuality or not. Personally I don’t really understand why, and I think its ssssssssaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaddddddddddddd.

Ehh no, I said that your POV supported the point I was making (indirectly and unintentionally on your behalf) not that you agreed with me.

And your post could hold some sort of substance if your previous actions didn’t contradict what you have said!!!

#21320 Reply

Newsroom
    Participant

Well I think Mr Byrne is just a tit

#21321 Reply

Mr Byrne
    Participant

“And your post could hold some sort of substance if your previous actions didn’t contradict what you have said!!! “

– elaborate – are you referring to the main topic again? I don’t mind if there are gay journalists. However, I do not like the stereotypical gay behavious – e.g. the lisp. – only a few, I don’t mind any gay journalists, if there was a gay journalists who had a lisp – well that would just be irritating.

– unless, thats not what you meant?

“Well I think Mr Byrne is just a tit “

– Ok. I’m not quite sure I understand what you mean. Because I understand thats “tits” is a slang meaning for something else. Perhaps you could use another word. And if this is where we voice our personnal views about other members then I think you are a flipp-flopping weirdo. – e.g. you went mad at english members for calling Ireland “?ire” – I was flattered that english people used the Irish word for Ireland, – on your behalf that was patriostism, except you got it all mixed up. And then you call Dublin, the “pale” – Even the DUP and Iain Paisley – I have never heard them refer to it as the pale. You’re really confusing. Did you say you were in college? – Trinity Colllege I persume. – Out of suriosity what is your Family/Sir name – Mr/Mrs/Ms…..???

#21322 Reply

AnjaliWOW
    Participant

Mr Byrne! You have my full support!!!

And yes this topic is pointless, no one wanted to rant and rave about this, I happend to mention something in a certain way in a reply about Steve Dixon and then all this started??

I meant nothing about what I said and no one would have taken any notice of it if it wasn’t dragged out into this fiasco by other members!!

Why not drop subject and get back to talking about how gorgeous Anjali Rao is or how bad Kay Burley is……you know regular stuff!

#21323 Reply

AnjaliWOW
    Participant

Newsroom+Nov 25 2004, 09:31 AM–>(Newsroom @ Nov 25 2004, 09:31 AM)
    Well I think Mr Byrne is just a tit

Thats just really childish!

#21324 Reply

Mr Byrne
    Participant

Yes, that might explain why I didn’t fully comprehend the person, although in all fairness I remember reading somewhere here that he was doing exams or other, so it’s understandable – he is still a child , so I guess we won’t expereince anything more mature than that. – Still though, I find him really confusing – aren’t students generally left-wing?

#21325 Reply

Mr Byrne
    Participant

Mr Byrne! You have my full support!!! 

I’m glad to hear that! Its very re-assuring to see other people with intelligence around here.

#21326 Reply

Newsroom
    Participant

The pale was a term used years ago for the area of Dublin and its environs, and was a joke….also Trinity is a university and no, I don’t study there :rolleyes:

#21327 Reply

eagleeye
    Participant

I’m not going to ask who came and conquered, or where and when, especially not in this ridiculous thread, but there’s certainly something bonkers about all of this. If I can use that word – reservedly.

#21328 Reply

Steven
    Participant

Well, well, well I think that eagleeye has found a beautiful way to bring this topic to a close. Funnily enough I don’t believe anybody has made a convincing arguement that it is acceptable for us to discuss the sexuality of presenters.
    My last word on this matter is that I think we should agree to disagree, and all go our seperate ways – Mr Byrne and AnjaliWOW I’m sure you’ll be very happy together

#21329 Reply

Mr Byrne
    Participant

The pale was a term used years ago for the area of Dublin and its environs, and was a joke….also Trinity is a university and no, I don’t study there

used years ago? a lotm more than years ago.

Mr Byrne and AnjaliWOW I’m sure you’ll be very happy together

Very Mature. I think we’ll have to agree to dissagree on many counts here.

What exactly did you want people to say steve – I’m still unsure.

#21330 Reply

geordieboi
    Participant

hi folks, just thought i’d add my thoughts to this topic. and before i begin, i realise i’m probably going to come in for a lot of stick for posting my thoughts, so please note they’re MY thoughts, before anyone has a go at me!

basically, i think it’s fair to say that anyone who is in the public eye is going to be open to all kinds of discussion – from whether they’re married, single, have kids, or whether they’re gay, bi, whatever – down to whether they’re good at their job. everyone will always have different opinions on what’s right, what’s wrong, what’s good, what’s not good, who’s good at something, who’s bad at something, and perhaps most importantly whether it should be discussed or not.

on a totally personal note, while i enjoy reading all of the serious topics on this forum and all of the great content this site has (well done johnnie & co btw..) i have no problem with reading the “less serious” and “non-news related” (for want of a better phrase) threads such as this one. we’re in the 21st century now, and it’s a fact of life that people will talk about eachother, speculate, make comments, and we’re also in an era where people tend to be a lot more comfortable talking about sexuality. while i can understand some people with possible homophobic views and thoughts taking offence to threads such as this being created (and no, that is NOT directed at ANYONE here), it’s also noticeable throughout the forum, such as the thread about the “stronger” presenters being the males, always sitting to the right of the female presenter and so on. i personally think there is one word which has caused this topic to “flourish” into the discussion it has – and that word is “sexuality”. it comes down to the simple fact that people have split opinions : some have no problem with it being discussed, others do. there will always be conflict (again for want of a better word) when it comes to this issue.

i seem to recall a voting poll not long ago. polls about “sexiest newsreader” seem to be acceptable, but when it comes to a male forum member expressing his own view that he finds another male “gorgeous”, then it isn’t ok ?

20 or 30 years ago, if a straight man was told “you’re attractive to gay men” he would likely have hit the roof.. and the person that told him! nowadays, believe it or not, attitudes on this HAVE changed. i am gay myself, i don’t go around making it plainly obvious to everyone, but i am gay. i know it, i’ve tried to deny it, but now i’ve accepted it, and so have my family and majority of friends. i didn’t just wake up one morning and decide to flick the gay switch, it’s just the way i was born, the way i’ve turned out. i know a huge amount of straight people who regularly go to gay-friendly pubs and clubs, simply because they enjoy the attention and the change of scene (pardon the pun). most people are a lot more open to this kind of discussion nowadays.

in summary, i think it’s a fine line. i think any male who wishes to say he finds steve dixon (or any other male) attractive – is very welcome to do so, in exactly the same way that a male is entitled to open a poll to ask who the sexiest newsreaders are. when it comes to discussing sexuality, i don’t have a problem whatsoever.

but where i WOULD draw the line is for people to post messages such as “i KNOW Mr A or Mr B is gay, because last weekend… blah blah”. that hasn’t happened here yet, and to be honest and fair to all of the other members, i don’t think that anyone would go as far as to do so – because whatever colour, sex, race, or sexuality – we all share one thing in common – an appreciation and enjoyment of sky news.

the kind of public “outing” of an individual is dangerous, can force people out of the closet who do not want to go public or are not mentally ready to do so, and can cause a lot of distress. trust me, i am speaking from experience…

#21331 Reply

Forum Member
    Participant

I know its paranoid but until I actually came across journalists who were “out” you do become cynical and irrationally worried that it could stop you in your career

Trust me there are plenty of journalists that are out, it’s just that in the normal course of your job it’s not usual to say to people “by the way I’m gay”. There are people at sky that are gay and out and nobody here bats an eyelid.

If you were to come out to your friends and family would that also mean you took out a newspaper ad or airtime to tell the whole world? Anyone at sky that is out is not hiding it from the public, it’s simply not part of their job to let people, who are (mostly) watching for the news, know their sexuality because really, it’s none of their damn business.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 60 total)
Reply To: Presenters sexuailty
Your information: