PrimeTV NZ News

Forums Forums TV Newsroom PrimeTV NZ News

This topic contains 21 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by  icurite 13 years, 5 months ago.

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Author

NewzNZ
    Participant
    #13676 Reply

NewzNZ
    Participant

Prime TV NZ debuted it’s ‘First At 5.30’ newscast on Sunday from the Sky News Australia studios. Hosted by veteran NZ TV personality Suzy Aitken, the show features NZ and World news using the resources of Sky News Australia live at 3.30 Aust time / 5.30 NZT.

#13677 Reply

MelbourneTV
    Participant

I heard about this. Did it use the ugly SNA set or the newsroom?

Did the newswall work?

#13678 Reply

NewzNZ
    Participant

It is on the main set with Prime News in the plasmas instead of Sky News. All the keys are the same style as Sky’s though the music is different and the upper left-hand dog says Prime News which also covers the Sky News logo when they use tracks from them.

Not sure how it will rate – might do ok as the other networks news both start at 6, so there’s no news competition on free-to-air tv at that time.

#13679 Reply

MelbourneTV
    Participant

I read in the NZ Herald that it was quite poorly done…

So the astons are the same as Sky’s? What theme do they use???

Do they still show NZ Newsweek from TV3?

#13680 Reply

NewzNZ
    Participant

Well the presenter is also the producer so I imagine it’s a pretty tight operation but no better/worse than any other Sky News show as it is basically the same thing – not that the NZ Herald has any credibility – they are anti-anything TV lol

Yep the style is the same as Sky except for the music – the baseline keys (‘astons’ no longer exist except maybe in Ethiopian TV) are the same as Sky’s too.

#13681 Reply

NewzNZ
    Participant

#13682 Reply

MelbourneTV
    Participant

Hmm that open reminds me alot of the new National Nine News Morning Edition open. (Formerly National Nine Morning News 11am).

So what theme are they using?

Do they have any NZ based reporters or is alot of it irrelevant Aussie news from Nine’s reporters???

Do you mind if I show your caps to some forumers at http://www.mediaspy.org??

#13683 Reply

NewzNZ
    Participant

feel free…

yes it does look like the Nine Morning News.

not sure what the music is – something off a generic production CD no doubt

#13684 Reply

MelbourneTV
    Participant

Do they have any NZ based reporters?

How has it gone in the ratings???

#13685 Reply

Forum Member
    Participant

Righty. This is one thing I can talk a bit about because I know the NZ journalist. Emphasis on THE – singular. Works out of NewstalkZB newsroom, which is why they have Barry Soper on a lot. They take all the stories that ZB generates and turns them into VOs or the occasional SOT, mostly with Australian file footage, or things Prime in Albany are starting to build their library up with.

Seems to be rating very well, more than what some in the industry were expecting. And yes you’d be right, because Prime NZ is owned by Channel Nine, the intro is a bit of a rip from National Nine News.

#13686 Reply

MelbourneTV
    Participant

Hmmm, when you say Australian file footage do you mean footage Sky’s owners have (9 and 7) or just of AUst scenes??

“Prime in Albany are starting to build their library up with.”

Where abouts is that? I wouldnt have thought Prime Albury/Wodonga would really care about NZ news. Unless your talking about somewhere in NZ.

#13687 Reply

MelbourneTV
    Participant

How is Prime News NZ going at currently?

I’d like to see it replayed on Sky News Aust, I think it would be more worthwhile than showing Sky News Ireland and TV 3 New Zealand Newsweek!

#13688 Reply

daved2424
    Participant

NewzNZ+Feb 20 2004, 08:46 AM–>(NewzNZ @ Feb 20 2004, 08:46 AM)
    ‘astons’ no longer exist except maybe in Ethiopian TV

They still exist in the UK, useless pieces of kit.

#13689 Reply

Damian
    Participant

NewsNZ I was just wondering if John Magnos was was presenting Pime News this evening as I have just seen him give us a Prime News Update??

#13690 Reply

icurite
    Participant

Do they have any NZ based reporters? How has it gone in the ratings???

From 2005 they have Paul Holmes (3 million $ for 3 year contract) and several other major television celebrities, including Australian-born New Zealand newsreader Alison Mau. Ratings have been average – got 5% in a NZ TV Guide poll for best news show.

Seems to be rating very well, more than what some in the industry were expecting. And yes you’d be right, because Prime NZ is owned by Channel Nine, the intro is a bit of a rip from National Nine News.

Seems to be National Nine build-up and the climax of Prime Local News (two local bulletins made in Hamilton and Christchurch for the first couple of years when Prime was totally owned by Prime Australia – totally pulled without warning the day before before the first newscast of 2002 without warning – the reporters had prepared most of the reports by then).

Unless your talking about somewhere in NZ.

Prime has a boring white shed in Albany, which is an upmarket industrial suburb of the North Shore (a city in Auckland).

I’d like to see it replayed on Sky News Aust, I think it would be more worthwhile than showing Sky News Ireland and TV 3 New Zealand Newsweek!

Sky News Australia New Zealand (a New Zealand version of Sky News with TV3 New Zealand News at 8:30pm and New Zealand advertisements and promos) has Prime News updates throughout the evening.

NewsNZ I was just wondering if John Magnos was was presenting Pime News this evening as I have just seen him give us a Prime News Update??

John Magnos is the newscaster if Suzy Aiken or what’s-her-name NZ-born Australian are away. The essential third presenter, although he cannot say Maori words, which is really an essential skill for presenting New Zealand television shows (don’t get me going on Jamie Durie saying “kia ora” on the special New Zealand introduction to The Block.

#13691 Reply

Damian
    Participant

John Magnos is the newscaster if Suzy Aiken or what’s-her-name NZ-born Australian are away. The essential third presenter, although he cannot say Maori words, which is really an essential skill for presenting New Zealand television shows (don’t get me going on Jamie Durie saying “kia ora” on the special New Zealand introduction to The Block.

I think John Magnos is a great newsreader and he has a great personality… One of the best I think.

#13692 Reply

MelbourneTV
    Participant

skynews2003+Jan 2 2005, 08:29 PM–>(skynews2003 @ Jan 2 2005, 08:29 PM)

I think John Magnos is a great newsreader and he has a great personality… One of the best I think.

Yeh definately SKy’s best male presenter.

#13693 Reply

icurite
    Participant

I agree too… just a pity he’s put a NZ TV show when he cannot even pronounce NZ language. (Most NZers can’t, though.)

#13694 Reply

MelbourneTV
    Participant

Does he fill in on Prime News??

#13695 Reply

MelbourneTV
    Participant

In, The Australian (newspaper) today there is a report that Prime News at 5:30 now has 16% of the market.

#13696 Reply

icurite
    Participant

Does he fill in on Prime News??

He is the relief presenter for Prime News if both Suzy Aiken and Nicole Webb (who are both the show’s producers as well) are away. If he is unable to present the bulletin, then it will usually be presented by John Gatfield.

2. The show is based on Channel Ten’s “First at 5” idea. See http://www.mediawatch.co.nz/default,427.sm on an interview on RNZ National Radio over a year ago.

In, The Australian (newspaper) today there is a report that Prime News at 5:30 now has 16% of the market.

This may be true, but I suspect it is far more likely that it means that Prime News has 16% of the 5:30 – 6:00 timeslot, against the competition of entertainment news show Headliners, high-rating youth soap Home and Away and reality show American Idol.

4. I wonder what Prime News will do when Sky News move into their new studio. I wonder if there are any plans to develop a Sky News Centre in New Zealand – quite possibly since they already have a studio for the Sky News current affairs show Williams Upfront based at Sky Television in Auckland.

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
Reply To: PrimeTV NZ News
Your information: