Racism

Forums Forums TV Newsroom Racism

This topic contains 6 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Lee Smith 11 years, 6 months ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

bobizgrate
    Participant
    #29003 Reply

bobizgrate
    Participant

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/london/4653130.stm

The Commissioner of the Met decries the media as “institutionally racist.” Although he shouldn’t have used Holly and Jessica as a specific negative example (it would have been much better if he’d talked about examples of children from ethnic minorities who have gone missing but not had the same coverage), this is something that has annoyed me for a while.

I remember during the Soham hunt seeing a Missing Person poster on the bus of a Chinese girl, roughly the same age as Holly and Jessica, who had gone missing at the same kind of time, but who was ignored by the media.

The case of the girl snatched from her bath around Christmas has a similar resonance. This remarkably similar incident occurred this week, but has not been covered anywhere. The main discernable difference is that the young girls incvolved are from an Asian family.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/northam…ire/4649680.stm

Does anyone agree that photogenic, white, middle class children seem to appeal to the media much more than those from poor families or those from ethnic moniorities?

The argument from the media is that they give widespread coverage to Anthony Walker, Damilola Taylor and Stephen Lawrence. However, these are minority cases with specific issues attached. A simple missing child case definitely seems to depend upon the social stratum of the tragic victim.

#29004 Reply

Lee Smith
    Participant

Bob wrote:http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/london/4653130.stm

The Commissioner of the Met decries the media as “institutionally racist.” Although he shouldn’t have used Holly and Jessica as a specific negative example (it would have been much better if he’d talked about examples of children from ethnic minorities who have gone missing but not had the same coverage), this is something that has annoyed me for a while.

I remember during the Soham hunt seeing a Missing Person poster on the bus of a Chinese girl, roughly the same age as Holly and Jessica, who had gone missing at the same kind of time, but who was ignored by the media.

The case of the girl snatched from her bath around Christmas has a similar resonance. This remarkably similar incident occurred this week, but has not been covered anywhere. The main discernable difference is that the young girls incvolved are from an Asian family.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/northam…ire/4649680.stm

Does anyone agree that photogenic, white, middle class children seem to appeal to the media much more than those from poor families or those from ethnic moniorities?

The argument from the media is that they give widespread coverage to Anthony Walker, Damilola Taylor and Stephen Lawrence. However, these are minority cases with specific issues attached. A simple missing child case definitely seems to depend upon the social stratum of the tragic victim.

No I don’t agree.

Murdering children or anyone is wrong what ever colour their skin is.

I personally blame the white middle class PC brigade for these misconceptions.

Racism exists in every sector of what you wish to name.

It’s not just a white on black, it also is a black on white, white on white and black on black.

Ian Blair should think before opening his gob. In fact he should be sacked.

It’s like this untill you have been racially abused and set upon not just physically but mentally then you don’t know how it feels or what it is like.

I wonder what hymn sheet Ian Blair would sing from if he got racially abused?

He should be sacked and not receive a pension and see what it’s like being working class in this country.

#29005 Reply

bobizgrate
    Participant

Lee Smith wrote:[
    No I don’t agree.

Murdering children or anyone is wrong what ever colour their skin is.

I personally blame the white middle class PC brigade for these misconceptions.

Racism exists in every sector of what you wish to name.

It’s not just a white on black, it also is a black on white, white on white and black on black.

Ian Blair should think before opening his gob. In fact he should be sacked.

It’s like this untill you have been racially abused and set upon not just physically but mentally then you don’t know how it feels or what it is like.

I wonder what hymn sheet Ian Blair would sing from if he got racially abused?

He should be sacked and not receive a pension and see what it’s like being working class in this country.

But that is exactly Ian Blair’s point – that murder and crime are wrong whatever the colour of the skin. But that is not how the media seem to see it, and do seem to prioritise white victims, especially when it comes to missing children.

#29006 Reply

Lee Smith
    Participant

No I don’t agree with you.

I think he is looking to get a media spot as he likes the lime light.

Nah he’s talking duff soap again.

#29007 Reply

bobizgrate
    Participant

Lee Smith wrote:No I don’t agree with you.

I think he is looking to get a media spot as he likes the lime light.

Nah he’s talking duff soap again.

Sorry to bring this up again, as it’s kind of died as a topic, but if Ian Blair was wrong about the media showing infintely more coverage of missing white, middle class children than any other, why have I never heard of this 12-year-old girl of Afghan origin who went missing on Sunday? (Taken from the Press Association this afternoon)

TWO HELD AFTER GIRL, 12 DISAPPEARS<
    By Wesley Johnson, PA<
    Two men have been arrested in connection with the disappearance of a
    12-year-old girl, police said today.<
    Afiza Zaman, of Middleton, Leeds, was last seen by her family on Sunday and
    police are growing increasingly concerned for her welfare.<
    The young girl, who originates from Afghanistan and has been in England for a
    number of years, has never been missing before but has been having difficulties
    at home and at school recently.<
    Two men, aged 21 and 23, were arrested and will be questioned by police later,
    a West Yorkshire force spokeswoman said.<
    Detective Superintendent Colin Prime, who is leading the investigation, said:
    “Afiza had been having difficulties at home and at school in recent months and
    may have left of her own accord, however it is crucial that we trace her to
    ensure she is safe and well.<
    “I am now urging Afiza to get in touch and discuss any issues or concerns
    with either a family member or police.<
    “It is also crucial that anyone who may have seen Afiza since 5.30pm on
    Sunday contacts police as a matter of urgency.”<
    Afiza, who is 12 but looks older, has been described as slim with
    shoulder-length dark brown straight hair, and blue eyes.<
    She speaks both English and Afghan, and was last seen wearing a black top,
    black trousers, white trainers, a silver necklace and long earrings with light
    green and blue coloured stones.<
    end

#29008 Reply

Lee Smith
    Participant

Maybe you are selective in the media you read.

Everyday, children go missing if they’re brown or white.

More white children go missing as a ratio to brown:white in the UK everyday of the year.

Goto you your local Police station and ask to check their missing files if it matters so much to you.

Code: Select all
    Blair is a media junky!
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
Reply To: Racism
Your information: