Gary Lineker to return to BBC Match of the Day this Saturday

Gary Lineker BBC World Cup

Gary Lineker will return to present Match of the Day this Saturday.

He was taken off air last week following an impartiality row in which he criticised the government’s new asylum policy.

Tim Davie – BBC director general – announced an independent review will be carried out on social media guidelines.

In a statement, Tim said: “Everyone recognises this has been a difficult period for staff, contributors, presenters and, most importantly, our audiences. I apologise for this. The potential confusion caused by the grey areas of the BBC’s social media guidance that was introduced in 2020 is recognised. I want to get matters resolved and our sport content back on air.

“Impartiality is important to the BBC. It is also important to the public. The BBC has a commitment to impartiality in its Charter and a commitment to freedom of expression. That is a difficult balancing act to get right where people are subject to different contracts and on air positions, and with different audience and social media profiles. The BBC’s social media guidance is designed to help manage these sometimes difficult challenges and I am aware there is a need to ensure that the guidance is up to this task. It should be clear, proportionate, and appropriate.

“Accordingly, we are announcing a review led by an independent expert – reporting to the BBC – on its existing social media guidance, with a particular focus on how it applies to freelancers outside news and current affairs. The BBC and myself are aware that Gary is in favour of such a review.

“Shortly, the BBC will announce who will conduct that review. Whilst this work is undertaken, the BBC’s current social media guidance remains in place.

“Gary is a valued part of the BBC and I know how much the BBC means to Gary, and I look forward to him presenting our coverage this coming weekend.”

Gary – who has been with BBC Sport for over three decades – tweeted: “After a surreal few days, I’m delighted that we have navigated a way through this. I want to thank you all for the incredible support, particularly my colleagues at BBC Sport, for the remarkable show of solidarity. Football is a team game but their backing was overwhelming.

“I have been presenting sport on the BBC for almost 3 decades and am immeasurably proud to work with the best and fairest broadcaster in the world. I cannot wait to get back in the MOTD chair on Saturday.

“A final thought: however difficult the last few days have been, it simply doesn’t compare to having to flee your home from persecution or war to seek refuge in a land far away. It’s heartwarming to have seen the empathy towards their plight from so many of you.

“We remain a country of predominantly tolerant, welcoming and generous people. Thank you.

“Also, I’d like to thank Tim Davie for his understanding during this difficult period. He has an almost impossible job keeping everybody happy, particularly in the area of impartiality. I am delighted that we’ll continue to fight the good fight, together.”

Gary will be back on BBC One at 5.20pm on Saturday evening for the FA Cup clash between Manchester City and Burnley.

Posted by on Monday 13 March 2023
Posted in
The FA Cup

The FA, BBC and ITV have confirmed the TV schedule for the semi-finals of FA Cup 2023/24. Manchester City host

Missing Thumbnail

@bettsg BTS BBC Final Score #football #efl #BBCsport #tv ? original sound – ?Speed Audios?

BBC Match of the Day Titles

The running order for tonight’s Match of the Day is as follows: 1: Burnley v Brentford; 2: Luton Town v