Rodney Marsh

Discussion Forums Forums TV Newsroom Rodney Marsh

This topic contains 15 replies, has 10 voices, and was last updated by  Johnnie 12 years, 5 months ago.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Author

rossi
    Participant
    #23311 Reply

rossi
    Participant

http://www.sportinglife.com/football/ne … MHD=soccer

MARSH APOLOGISES AFTER SACKING
    Rodney Marsh has apologised for offensive comments made on air about the Asia tsunami disaster.

The former Queens Park Rangers and Manchester City striker has had his contract terminated by Sky Sports after making the remarks as a pundit on Monday night’s You’re on Sky Sports programme.

Sky officials met this morning and decided Marsh’s comments were "inexcusable".

The 60-year-old, who was known for his outspoken views on football, insisted he did not intend to offend viewers with his comments.

Marsh told the Press Association: "I apologise unreservedly for any offence I caused by my thoughtless and inappropriate comment I made last night.

"My intention was to make a light-hearted football joke."

A Sky Sports spokesperson said: "We have today ended Rodney Marsh’s contract with Sky Sports.

"The decision was made this morning, following a review of his comments on last night’s edition of ‘You’re on Sky Sports’.

"During the live night-time phone-in Rodney made comments that were offensive and inexcusable.

"An apology was made within the programme and Rodney’s comments were edited and removed from later transmissions.

"These remarks should never have been made and Sky would like to offer its apologies to those who were offended."

Marsh’s future in sport broadcasting is now unclear, and he added: "I entirely respect Sky Sports’ position and would add my apology to everyone concerned at Sky.

"I would like to take this opportunity to thank my colleagues and senior executives who have been brilliant to me and always supported me during my time at Sky.

"I am hugely disappointed in myself for letting them down."

#23312 Reply

rossi
    Participant

apparently he said…

“David Beckham won’t be going to Newcastle now.
    Because of what the Toon Army did to Asia. “

#23313 Reply

daved2424
    Participant

Good. I never liked him anyway. He made some other comment once before. As a result the show the next night went out super late with an apology buried in there too. most annoying.

#23314 Reply

airlink1
    Participant

His best move yet – well rid.

#23315 Reply

Forum Member
    Participant

Inappropriate comments, but he’ll be a big loss to Sky Sports, especially on Gillette Soccer Saturday and You’re on Sky Sports.

#23316 Reply

daved2424
    Participant

No he won’t!

#23317 Reply

tippguy
    Participant

i think he’ll be a loss aswell. he always added a bit of atmosphere to soccer saturday. he never held anything back on you’re on sky sports he was open to everyone and told tcallers weather he agreed with them or weather they were making a fool of themselves. Although he will be truley missed it was the right decision by sky.

#23319 Reply

SMIFFY
    Participant

Football pundit Rodney Marsh, sacked by Sky 2 months ago, will return on Talk Sport tomorrow.
    He is co-hosting the Sports Breakfast show while Alan Brazil is at the races!

You either love or loathe Rodney. I think he’s great and was treated unfairly by Sky. The game needs characters such as him and I’m looking forward to having him back for the next 3 days!

#23320 Reply

cjjm07766
    Participant

All i’ll say is that if you met him in real life you would think differently.

#23321 Reply

Forum Member
    Participant

bring marshy back

#23322 Reply

andy_playmaker
    Participant

What did he get sacked for again? I noticed he hadn’t been on for a bit and someone told me he’d been given the boot for some dodgy comments he made. I pretty much watch soccer saturday most weekends and, to be honest, i haven’t really missed him.

#23323 Reply

andy_playmaker
    Participant

Forget what i wrote, i’ve just found the previous thread on marshy.

#23324 Reply

bkd004
    Participant

WHERE HAS SKY SPORT’S BIG HEAD & No1 ENTERTAINER GONE?

To those who don’t have a sense of humour……..

I regularly tune into Gillette Soccer Saturday but recently I could not understand why Rodney Marsh had not appeared on the show.

I’m not a person to read so called newspapers nor do I have the inclination. I’m not interested in useless gossip, gambling or oggling over naked women all the time (get a good women, its much better and preferably one that doesn’t nag). Anyway some friends stayed with us for Easter and thats when I discovered what had happened. Should I be surprised? of Rodney’s outragious comments? NO, I mean society and yes that same old chestnut ‘Political Correctness’ YET AGAIN !!!!

After spending some time on the web I finally got the affending words that were said “David Beckham would not sign for Newcastle because of the trouble caused by the Toon Army in Asia.”

It is bad taste for sure but I still find it funny, I hope that does’nt make me a bad person. I am married to an Asian woman and believe me my heart goes out to all those who have perished and lost their families in Thailand, Sri Lanka and Indonesia. Me and my wife spent most of Xmas watching the aftermarth of this terrible event on our TV screen and we both felt very sad about it.

My point is people like Rodney Marsh are entertainers, they are not afraid to say what they think and always have an opinion. Unfortunately they may go near the mark occasionally but so what this is why people tune in to watch them. We want banter, cheek, fun, emotion, some excitement…..nothing replaces those debates between Rodney and Frank McKlintock or when some idiot with no brain phones in complaining on ‘Your On Sky Sports’.

This is not the first time this sort of thing has happened, remember Ron Atkinson, (well Desailly was a lazy so & so in that Champions League match last year, yes may be a bit to far that time).

If they go too near the mark then slap them on the rists, don’t just get rid of your best assets.

You know why the Premiership is much more fun this year than before well it is becuase we don’t have to rely on just Alex Ferguson to provide some opinions. Just when we thought we would never see another Brian Clough again out pops Jose Mourinho. What a guy, he tells everyone he is the best manager in Europe, and this year he wins the premiership at the first attempt, I don’t care how much money he had available to him, that is impressive and I’m not a Chelsea fan.

The reason why society is going down hill is not because of light hearted entertainment, it is because of the filth and language dished out in crap US films and the MTV flooded on our screens so that business can exploit and brainwash everyone for the cause of money. No wonder we have trouble with respect for each other, everyone from a young age is told to have attitude and broadcasting this is the problem for nations around the world.

Since he has left I do not bother watching ‘Your On Sky Sports’ anymore because its boring now and only watch a little of ‘Gillette Soccer Saturday’. Sky should take note I won’t be the only one.

I may have digressed a bit but I think you get the message.

BRING HIM BACK QUICKLY AND LETS HAVE SOME ENTERTAINMENT AGAIN! THATS WHAT WE PAY OUR SUBSCRIPTION FOR!

#23325 Reply

Forum Member
    Participant

Bring back Rodney, at least he was enthusiastic about what he said about football. We all should have some right to free speach, we don’t always say something which others agree with. If we stop everyone saying certain things we will then live in a poorer country and I don’t think anyone wants that.

#23326 Reply

Johnnie
    Keymaster

Rodney is currently on "I’m a Celeb…"

1113211820_26.jpg

1113211820_24.jpg

1113211820_23.jpg

1113211820_21.jpg

1113211820_19.jpg
Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
Reply To: Rodney Marsh
Your information:

Add New Topic Login Register