Serious Bus Crash In Co. Meath

Discussion Forums Forums TV Newsroom Serious Bus Crash In Co. Meath

This topic contains 7 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  tippguy 12 years, 1 month ago.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author

tippguy
    Participant
    #25118 Reply

tippguy
    Participant

Sky News Monday 23rd Of May, 2005
    FIVE SCHOOLGIRLS KILLED

Five teenage girls have been killed and 46 people injured after a school bus overturned.

The bus was taking 51 youngsters home from secondary schools in Navan, County Meath, Ireland, when the crash happened in Kentstown.

President Mary McAleese and Taoiseach Bertie Ahern have spoken of their shock, and passed on their sympathies to the families of the victims.

A Garda spokesman confirmed that the five dead were pupils at the Loretto Convent School in Navan.

Six other children were in a critical condition in hospital.

He said students from the Mercy Convent, Beaufort College and St Patrick’s Classical School were also on the bus.

The bus was thrown on to its side after a crash involving two other vehicles on the road between Navan and Duleek.

Bus overturned

A spokeswoman for Bus Eireann, the bus operator, said an investigation was underway but it was too early to say what caused the accident.

The bus was not fitted with seatbelts.

Father David O’Hanlon, a Catholic Curate in Kentstown, said distraught families had flocked to the crash scene.

“People are very shocked – they have been saying very little,” he said.

He said many children waited for up to an hour to be freed from the wreckage.

Irish Premier Bertie Ahern said: “It’s a huge tragedy, an enormous shock to the whole country,” he said. “Obviously we send our sympathies and commiserate with the families of those who have been bereaved.”

Transport Minister Martin Cullen has cancelled his attendance at a conference in Moscow and will be returning home immediately.

#25119 Reply

tippguy
    Participant

Sky News Tuesday 24th May, 2005
    DRIVER TO BE INTERVIEWED

The driver of a bus involved in the worst crash in Irish history is to be interviewed by police.

Five teenage girls died 46 people injured when the coach overturned as it was taking children home from school.

Six children remain in a stable condition at hospital following the accident in Kentstown, near Dublin.

Their bus was thrown on to its side in the crash, involving two other vehicles, on the road between Navan and Duleek.

Four of the dead girls came from St Michael’s Loreto Convent in Navan, while the fifth came from the nearby Beaufort College.

Sister Mary O’Connor, from the convent’s board of trustees, said the victims had all been good friends.

She said: “Teachers are devastated that students who they taught on Monday are no longer with us.

“The feeling is of devastation. There is a quiet calm atmosphere around the school but I think people are very traumatised.”

A spokeswoman for Bus Eireann, the service’s operator, said an investigation was underway but it was too early to say what caused the crash.

The bus was not fitted with seatbelts.

President Mary McAleese and Taoiseach Bertie Ahern have spoken of their shock and passed on their sympathies to the families of the victims.

#25120 Reply

SkyFanIreland
    Participant

Good job on this story Sky News (UK and IRELAND)

Fantastic to have Michelle Clifford as the on-scene reporter – she really is excellent, and proves she is a worthy correspondent!!!

Also SKY were first with pictures on air last night – considering they are seen as the number 3 in relation to TV news providers in the Republic, that was a good coup.

I am no fan of SKY News Ireland but on this occasion they deserve a clap on the back

SFI

#25121 Reply

Johnnie
    Keymaster

Yes Sky News Ireland was pretty good, used about half of yesterdays programme on the story.

I was wondering how Michelle got to the scene so quick. She was in-vision about an hour after the story broke, must had been in the area.

#25122 Reply

tippguy
    Participant

ya she could have been on a holiday in Ireland. she could have met up with the Sky News Ireland camera crew. although Michelle Clifford is an excellent corespondant I would have hoped that that Sky would have let their top class Sky News Ireland corespondant’s Brian Daly & Ray Kennedy deal with the story. they need to give them a chance. i don’t understand why Gary Honeford had to travel 100 miles to Kentstown when Ray or Brian were just 24 miles away in Dublin. And I dont understand why Gary had to travel 80 miles to Drogheda when SNI were just 30 miles away. All the same the coverage has been top-class

#25123 Reply

SkyFanIreland
    Participant

Grainne off from Tuesday – Brian off reporting and on reading duty
    Ray on holidays
    Geraldine on holidays
    Jonathan was off

Michelle Clifford was working out of Dublin to provide cover
    Belfast bureau also on call to provide cover

SFI

#25124 Reply

tippguy
    Participant

oh i didn’t know that. its a good job sni got michelle in so.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
Reply To: Serious Bus Crash In Co. Meath
Your information:

Add New Topic Login Register